2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by Superbone »

Such trusted sources, LOL.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:56 pm
As we all know, the law is biased toward evil Democrats since they're the ones who follow it.
Bless your heart, you really believe that. How special.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another Quinnepiac poll. Standard disclaimer that these don't mean too much.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

No poll means anything to me right now. All kinds of unforeseen major events are going to happen in the next year that shape the election.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:17 pm
No poll means anything to me right now. All kinds of unforeseen major events are going to happen in the next year that shape the election.
I know, right? Honestly I crack up that anyone puts any faith in those things after the last 2 elections.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

If you guys had to pick someone that isn't the Trump, Biden or RFK jr., who would you pick? What are there pros and cons? I only ask this to broaden my knowledge of other candidates.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They have to announce they are candidates to be candidates? The official Republican list is well known since they had primaries…sort of.

Biden is President and incumbent Presidents basically decide if they want to run again and I’ve does so end of discussion. The Democrat candidate is Joe Biden. Technically there are sort of two more, Phillips who announced and Williamson who dropped out.

Dean Phillips, a moderate Democrat elected to the House in 2018, has few major policy disagreements with President Biden and has supported his agenda in Congress, but argues that Mr. Biden’s age and low approval ratings mean the party should nominate someone else.

West and Stien are independent candidates.

Cornel West has taught at Yale, Princeton and Harvard and is currently a professor of philosophy at Union Theological Seminary. He is known for his progressive activism, including his sharp criticism of former President Barack Obama.

Dr. West initially said he would run with the People’s Party, a third party led by a former campaign staff member for Senator Bernie Sanders. He subsequently said he would seek the Green Party’s nomination instead, and then switched again to run as an independent.

Jill Stein, a physician who ran for president on the Green Party ticket in 2012 and 2016, is seeking the party’s nomination for a third time. In a video announcing her campaign, she called for an “economic bill of rights” that would include a guaranteed right to employment, health care, housing, food and education, and also highlighted support for combating climate change and protecting abortion and transgender rights.

Ms. Stein drew some 1.4 million votes in 2016, and some Democrats blamed her for pulling support from Hillary Clinton in critical states.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:49 pm
If you guys had to pick someone that isn't the Trump, Biden or RFK jr., who would you pick? What are there pros and cons? I only ask this to broaden my knowledge of other candidates.
My dream President would have been Elizabeth Warren, but that ship sailed. Nowadays there aren't a lot of clear candidates for the next election. I wouldn't vote for any Republican again, so I can name some Dems who may be future candidates:

- Gavin Newsom. He clearly wants the job; he'll try to run in 2028. I have my doubts about him. He seems a bit "all sizzle, no steak" to me. He might be a big phony baloney. I also think he may have one or two skeletons in his closet that will come out if he makes a POTUS run.

- Pete Buttigieg. Young but ambitious. Smart guy, well spoken. I didn't like him as the candidate in '20 but he's growing and learning. Might be ready by '28. Maybe the best mind of the bunch.

- Sherrod Brown. Middle of the road, milquetoast, semi-old white guy, moderate, lots of people like him. Hasn't "wowed" me, but a lot of people would be content with somebody like this. Not seen as "extreme" or "leftist" like a candidate like Sanders, Warren, AOC would be.

- Kamala Harris. Meh. I don't like her as a POTUS candidate. But she will clearly run in '28. I really hope the voters reject her because she's an abysmal speaker and super fake / phony and ran a dreadful campaign in '20. Don't want her as POTUS.

- Jay Inslee. Meh. Great record on climate change, but too much of a one-issue guy. Will get torn apart as being too far-left.

- Gretchen Witmer. Maybe the best female candidate of this bunch. Smart and hard working. Well liked. I don't know much about her positions on the issues. She has a lot of general buzz as a future candidate. Lot of base Dems love her.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm curious who the GOP would run for POTUS in '28 if Trump loses. Would Trump run yet again? (from prison? heh.) I didn't think most of the bozos who ran on the GOP primary in '24 really distinguished themselves. DeSantis was a real collapse. Nikki Haley seems like an obvious choice, but will the party reject her because she turned against Trump this year?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kryptonic wrote:
There aren’t other candidates. The choices are Trump, Not Trump, and Abstain.

If you want Trump, vote Trump. If you don’t want Trump, vote Biden. If you really don’t give a fuck one way or the other, vote third party. Those are the pros and cons.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m choosing to use my vote for myself…and I don’t mean voting for myself, but I’m going to vote for someone that I can feel good about voting for. My vote will have no impact on the election, I’m in a state that will vote for Trump in an overwhelming majority, so my vote is for me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's an interesting campaign right now in Michigan's primary called "Vote Uncommitted." The idea of that MI Dems should cast a primary vote for "Uncommitted" rather than for Joe Biden. Biden is still going to win the primary, but seeing potentially thousands of voters go out of their way to vote for Uncommitted might send a message to Biden that these voters are upset and want better from Biden. Specifically it's about the Israel /Gaza genocide issue.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I thought this was interesting regarding Haley:

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

She makes a point. Any Republican now that wasn’t part of Jan 6 and believes Biden won is automatically labeled a Moderate by Dems just because they still believe in Democracy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Desi Lydic is really funny. And her essay is on point. There aren't very many true moderate Republicans in the public eye these days. Maybe a John Kasich or somebody like that.

The Daily Show has been kind of dead to me for years now under Trevor Noah. But they have quietly assembled a pretty darn good cast and crew behind him over the years. You can really see it now that Jon Stewart is back. With the others being able to play supporting roles they look much stronger.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I started watching that again to check Stewart out. I think he is only on once a week. He is entertaining for sure. There is something about him that bothers me. I just picture him behind the scenes being an arrogant jerk to everyone and being extra inappropriate. That’s just me and the vibe I get.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:25 pm
I started watching that again to check Stewart out. I think he is only on once a week. He is entertaining for sure. There is something about him that bothers me. I just picture him behind the scenes being an arrogant jerk to everyone and being extra inappropriate. That’s just me and the vibe I get.
Interesting. I don't get that at all.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, didn't know the numbers were split this way.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Kryptonic wrote:
Most likely the Libertarian candidate (not yet nominated).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Interesting about RFK trying to get on the ballot as a libertarian.