Ron DeSantis

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Ron DeSantis

Post by Mori Chu »

This guy probably deserves his own thread.

Here's the latest I'm seeing about Ron: He wants to go after all AP high school courses, not just AP African-American Studies. Not sure how that's going to work out for him.

Superbone

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by Superbone »

Good idea. Let's dumb down America even more.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Is that eleven possible?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One of DeSantis's campaign staff made a video showing him in front of a Nazi symbol. The video was removed and the staffer was fired.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I’m sure this is all viewed as great for the brand…. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I almost feel bad for DeSantis. He is trying so hard to appeal to MAGA and they just don’t like him. They already have their Trump. Trying to out Trump Trump is a fail. Only Trump can score points for doing repulsive things.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

He's a chump... I could never feel bad for a guy who's trying to outdo a guy who's caused more division in this country than the civil war.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not a fan of schoolyard bully chants like this. But it kind of suggests to me that this guy may not be headed for the GOP 2024 nomination.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Judge says DeSantis’ congressional map is unconstitutional, orders lawmakers to draw new one
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/0 ... e-00113835
Judge J. Lee Marsh’s ruling is a rebuke to the governor, who previously vetoed the Legislature’s attempts to redraw Florida’s congressional maps and pushed lawmakers to approve his map that dismantled a North Florida seat formerly held by Rep. Al Lawson, a Black Democrat.

The section violated is commonly referred to as the Fair Districts Amendment, which states that lawmakers can’t redraw congressional districts that “diminish” minority voters’ ability to elect someone of their choice.

“This is a significant victory in the fight for fair representation for Black Floridians. As a result, the current discriminatory map should be replaced with a map that restores the Fifth Congressional District in a manner that gives Black voters the opportunity to elect a candidate of their choice,” said Olivia Mendoza, director of litigation and policy for the National Redistricting Foundation, which initiated the lawsuit.

“My only goal right now is to ensure that fair representation is returned to the people of North Florida,” he said.