DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Post by In2ition »

Jon Stewart has some good points, yet it's always ironic & falls flat when he calls others "arrogant". A lot of other points he makes is without context, so it seems like he makes a brilliant point, when in reality it's just a dishonest picture he's painting.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He's doing so well in his Daily Show return. Every episode has been appointment television, and he's been excellent in each one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm sure he's doing great playing to his prime demographic.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump's latest message puts a target on not only the judge in his Manhattan criminal case, but also the judge's daughter. This seems not cool to me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Well, you knew it was going to happen.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A gag order for Trump? Good luck with that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:36 pm
Just wondering, was this penthouse possibly a glass house?

Jon Stewart found to have overvalued his NYC home by 829% after labeling Trump’s civil case ‘not victimless’
By Social Links forMary K. Jacob
Published March 27, 2024
Updated March 27, 2024, 1:29 p.m. ET
https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/real-esta ... me-by-829/
In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million. The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records.

But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million. The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.

Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.

Pande, who purchased the penthouse from Stewart, then resold the property at a nearly 26% loss, according to the Real Deal — at just over $13 million — in 2021.

Meanwhile, the New York assessor valuation on Stewart’s former penthouse is the exact same citation method and metric that New York Attorney General Letitia James used to value Trump’s private and personal properties, and then sued him for inflating those assets.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Doesn't make the message wrong even if true. But yeah, you could call him a hypocrite.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:22 pm
Doesn't make the message wrong even if true. But yeah, you could call him a hypocrite.
You could say that there actually was a victim in his case. I wonder when Letitia James and Judge Engoron are going to be coming after Jon? Heck, I wonder when her office is going to start investigating her history of doing this?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Help me understand this..wouldn’t whoever assessed its value be the problem?

Is this the same thing Trump did? How is it different?

Can’t say I really understand

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Jon Stewart found to have overvalued his NYC home by 829% after labeling Trump’s civil case ‘not victimless’
Published March 27, 2024
In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million. The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records.

But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million. The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.

Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.

Pande, who purchased the penthouse from Stewart, then resold the property at a nearly 26% loss, according to the Real Deal — at just over $13 million — in 2021.

Meanwhile, the New York assessor valuation on Stewart’s former penthouse is the exact same citation method and metric that New York Attorney General Letitia James used to value Trump’s private and personal properties, and then sued him for inflating those assets.

Apples and oranges…. Ones for market purposes and ones for valuation. Way to spin it as fraud…. Dumbest shit ever.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm
Help me understand this..wouldn’t whoever assessed its value be the problem?

Is this the same thing Trump did? How is it different?

Can’t say I really understand
It's not even close... The assessor is responsible for setting valuation prices and aren't always up to market depending on the market taking place at the time. Also, it's entirely possible for property to fluctuate that much in that market... It's not like he was over valuing his property for loan applications to over inflate his value. Seriously... dumbest slant ever at this and crack up at the idiots lapping it up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:01 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Published March 27, 2024

Apples and oranges…. Ones for market purposes and ones for valuation. Way to spin it as fraud…. Dumbest shit ever.
Wasn't there a claim that Trump avoided paying his fair taxes on it, as it was assessed at much lower for tax purposes? How much did he short the good people of NYC?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I spoke with Michael Avenatti who at one time had an office in the same building as one of my businesses in Newport Beach, CA (in November 2018, a few days after his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence, Avenatti's law firm was evicted from those same offices in Newport Beach after skipping $213,000 worth of rent payments.)

Avenatti was working a long con against Tully’s Coffee and actor Patrick Dempsey. Avenatti Global Baristas, the parent company of the Tully's coffee chain that was founded by Michael Avenatti, had agreed to never again use the Tully's name, but Avenatti was lying.

He wanted to use my trademark attorney Rod Underhill to take control of the Tully’s Coffee name and trademarks. I learned later it was yet another attempt to extort money from Keurig Green Mountain.

In any case, Avenatti shared details of his client Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, case and the fact that her and Michael Cohen were actually having an affair since 2006.

The whole hush money scheme was cooked up by Michael Cohen to extort the Trump Organization before the 2016 election. Avenatti seemed pleased at how deviant Michael Cohen was.

Understand, Michael Avenatti is a serial liar, but he did speak about his client (that he would later steal from) and Michael Cohen’s affair touching on their scheme to bilk the Trump Organization out of money. He spoke about it on more than one occasion. He was very passionate that Trump had not signed the NDA making it null and void. One time, in fact, he was bragging about it to Dennis Rodman at the Port Restaurant out on the patio, in Corona Del Mar, CA. I was only half listening as I had heard it all before, but @dennisrodman seemed engaged in the conversation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see what John Stewart did wrong. I don't object to anybody selling a piece of property for a high number. If you put it up for sale and somebody makes you a big offer, you take it. That isn't illegal. In CA and NY it's actually very common for a property to be valued and assessed at, say, $1m, but then go up for sale and get bid up to $1.8 or $2m. It happens all the time. In fact, the assessed values are often wildly off compared to what the property would sell for on the market. My last house in Santa Clara, the property assessor valued it at $398k, but then I put it on the market and it sold for many times that. It's just absolutely crazy.

John Stewart selling his house for a profit is completely different than the fraud committed by Trump. He listed the same real estate assets at different values when applying for loans vs at tax time. And the larger values he listed seem to have been fake and not based on any actual amount that anybody would pay for the property or offered for the property. It's completely different. Most notably, one is a crime (Trump's) and the other is not (Stewart's).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I’m trying to sell my house right now and I’m hoping to get more than the appraised value. That’s totally legal. It is worth what the buyers will pay for it. Sometimes you have bidding wars.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Standard Trump defense. Whatever you are accused of, accuse someone else of the same thing. Every time like clockwork.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Or counterpoint would be the opposite. Everything they claim Trump did or was going to do, they are doing themselves.

So Stewart and his ilk, including Letitia James, Engoron and all the other yapping media were all upset that Trump wasn't paying his fair share of taxes, but in reality, Stewart bought his property for $5.8 million in 2005, yet was only paying taxes on the assessor value of $748,000 per year. That doesn't sound like right. And, I get that he sold high and it wasn't his fault that he made money. I get that mindset. Did the purchasor take out a loan? Because they lost over $4 million when they sold it. It makes me wonder if the bank did their rightful assessment. All I'm saying is that the same standards that are put out there for Trump, may need to be looked at in these other cases. These clearly had victims in these matters that lost money, whether it being the ones that bought from Stewart or the tax payers.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If there is any evidence of any of the others committing fraud, by all means, prosecute them. No hypocrisy here. Meanwhile, there's clear evidence that Trump did commit fraud to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's why he was convicted of fraud in a court of law.

You're quite determined to defend Trump by saying that everybody else commits this same "victimless crime," therefore it's okay. But that isn't going to hold water. Certainly that argument isn't a defense in a court of law.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am
If there is any evidence of any of the others committing fraud, by all means, prosecute them. No hypocrisy here. Meanwhile, there's clear evidence that Trump did commit fraud to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. That's why he was convicted of fraud in a court of law.

You're quite determined to defend Trump by saying that everybody else commits this same "victimless crime," therefore it's okay. But that isn't going to hold water. Certainly that argument isn't a defense in a court of law.
I'm no lawyer, so you're right that my argument isn't a defense in a court of law.

At the same time, I think his "conviction" gets overturned and wiped out in the Court of Appeal. But, I'm not an attorney, so of course I could be wrong. We'll see.

Here is another argument.

And here is another example that the Judge's valuation of Mar a Lago as only worth $18 million he used in his judgement was completely insane.