DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: DONALD TRUMP INDICTED

Post by Nodack »

I’m watched Rachael Maddow’s latest episode and she was comparing Trump’s legal mess to Spirro Agnes’s legal mess in 1973.

Reelected with Nixon in 1972, Agnew resigned on October 10, 1973, after the U.S. Justice Department uncovered widespread evidence of his political corruption, including allegations that his practice of accepting bribes had continued into his tenure as U.S. vice president.

He like Trump attacked the malicious evil prosecutors that he claimed were only attacking him for political purposes and vowed to fight to the end and never resign. His people cheered him on wildly and supported him 100% from the “witch hunt”.

Under increasing pressure to resign, Agnew took the position that a sitting vice president could not be indicted and met with Speaker of the House Carl Albert on September 25, asking for an investigation. He cited as precedent an 1826 House investigation of Vice President John C. Calhoun, who was alleged to have taken improper payments while a cabinet member. Albert, second in line to the presidency under Agnew, responded that it would be improper for the House to act in a matter before the courts.[175] Agnew also filed a motion to block any indictment on the grounds that he had been prejudiced by improper leaks from the Justice Department, and tried to rally public opinion, giving a speech before a friendly audience in Los Angeles asserting his innocence and attacking the prosecution.[176] Nevertheless, Agnew entered into negotiations for a plea bargain on the condition that he would not serve jail time.[177] He wrote in his memoirs that he entered the plea bargain because he was worn out from the extended crisis, to protect his family, and because he feared he could not get a fair trial.[178] He made his decision on October 5, and plea negotiations took place over the following days. On October 9, Agnew visited Nixon at the White House and informed the President of his impending resignation.[179]

On October 10, 1973, Agnew appeared before the federal court in Baltimore, and pleaded nolo contendere (no contest) to one felony charge, tax evasion, for the year 1967. Richardson agreed that there would be no further prosecution of Agnew, and released a 40-page summary of the evidence. Agnew was fined $10,000 and placed on three years' unsupervised probation. At the same time, Agnew submitted a formal letter of resignation to the Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger, and sent a letter to Nixon stating he was resigning in the best interest of the nation. Nixon responded with a letter concurring that the resignation was necessary to avoid a lengthy period of division and uncertainty, and applauding Agnew for his patriotism and dedication to the welfare of the United States.[180]

If he didn’t resign and stayed VP and faithful the indictment and was convicted and sent to jail he would be the VP of the US and in prison. Nixon resigned for his own corruption. Can you imagine Agnew becoming President while sitting in prison? Like Agnew Trump is claiming innocence and accusing the Justice Department of all kinds of evil despicable things. That plays well to supporters. It doesn’t mean anything in a courtroom.

Trump has been rallying his troops for battle and MAGA has been talking about all the violence that is about to occur. Miami police were prepared for a huge violent demonstration at the courthouse as Trump would be arraigned. I was watching the video and there were about 30 Trump supporters there, not an armed militia. I would like the think Jan 6 and it’s repercussions for those Trump supporters who decided to participate in the mayhem have served as a deterrent for those Trump supporters who thought about staging another violent protest at Trumps arraignment.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is Chris Christie one of the few sensible ones on this issue?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh, okay Fox. We've gotten numb to this sort of crap, but extreme rhetoric like this is bad for us as a country. It gets people actively angry, like 2nd Amendment angry. It's only a matter of time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:49 pm
Is Chris Christie one of the few sensible ones on this issue?

Christie wants to be President. He’s capable of mean sneaky nasty things too. Remember Bridgegate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee_ ... re_scandal

Still he would be 1000X’s more sane than Trump.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 pm
Uh, okay Fox. We've gotten nothing to this sort of crap, but extreme rhetoric like this is bad for us as a country. It gets people actively angry, like 2nd Amendment angry. It's only a matter of time.

FOX News isn’t News. They are contributing to the demise of Democracy on purpose. Trump has been involved in so many scandals and FOX News and Republicans just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it’s not real. They ignore all the witnesses and evidence in every case and just claim he’s innocent.

They have been going after Biden for years. They have invested everything into the Hunter Biden scandal. So far they have a laptop with dirty pictures and a couple of whistleblowers who they can’t locate for some reason and that’s it and yet Fox News headlines always mention “The Biden Crime Family” as if they have been already convicted of serious crimes. With all the impeachments, Trumps business being convicted, found guilty in the rape/defamation trial, indicted again and more coming, Trumps step son getting 2 Billion from the Saudi’s, Jan 6 and all the scandals related to that, you still don’t see CNN or MSNBC calling it the Trump crime family even though it clearly is.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is really pathetic. The Garland DOJ didn't start investigating Trump until after the House 1/6 Committee, started calling them out and embarrassing them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It doesn’t matter how much trouble anyone goes to avoid being partisan when it comes to Trump. If you say anything that doesn’t praise him you are going to be accused of being partisan against him. If you are any part of law enforcement assigned to investigate him you are at the top of the list and will be verbally assaulted as a horrible evil despicable partisan human being by Trump and his followers no matter what. Not doing your job as to avoid looking partisan achieved what for Garland? He put it off as long as he could. Trump and his followers today are saying what about Garland? That he’s a horrible evil despicable partisan human being.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bill Barr Ramps Up His Showdown With ‘Troubled Man’ Trump in Stunning CBS Interview: He’s Like ‘A Defiant 9-Year-Old’
https://www.mediaite.com/news/bill-barr ... -year-old/
Former Attorney General Bill Barr has been the talk of the political world for the past week — after his stunning proclamation that former President Donald Trump is “toast” if half of the 37-count indictment against him is true. Now, after a week of personal insults from the former president, Barr is fighting back with an utterly brutal assessment of his old boss.

“He will always put his own interests and gratifying his own ego ahead of everything else, including the country’s interests. There’s no question about it. This is a perfect example of that. He’s like a 9-year-old — a defiant 9-year-old kid who’s always pushing the glass toward the edge of the table, defying his parents to stop him from doing it. It’s a means of self-assertion and exerting his dominance over other people. And he’s a very petty individual who will always put his interests ahead of the country’s, his personal gratification of his ego. But our country can’t be a therapy session for a troubled man like this.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, now that he's not under his rule, Barr decides to speak out. I'd have been a lot more impressed if he had done it during the Trump "administration."
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:14 am
So, now that he's not under his rule, Barr decides to speak out. I'd have been a lot more impressed if he had done it during the Trump "administration."
You could say the same about a LOT of people who now speak out against Trump that used to work for him. There is another list of Republicans that spoke out very loudly against Trump before he got the nomination. Then after securing the nomination thought Trump was great. Then some from that list that hated him, loved him and then hated him.

An old list I had from a few years ago. There are several new ones I could add now if I wasn’t lazy.

Republicans

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Trump had the understanding of “a fifth- or sixth-grader,”

White House chief of staff John Kelly called Trump “an idiot” and said he thought the president was “unhinged,”

Omarosa Manigault Newman - Trump is a “racist, misogynist and bigot.”

“We must elect a thoughtful, moral, responsible, respectful leader on Nov. 3. Our current president is not that leader,” he wrote. - Former intelligence agency director Robert Cardillo

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin called Trump an “idiot,”

Reince Priebus called Trump an “idiot,”

Former economic adviser Gary Cohn said Trump was “dumb as sh-t,”

Former national security adviser H.R. McMaster said the president was a “dope,”

Robert Cardillo said that broadly speaking he can “attest that Americans were very well served by those they elected to fill critical national security positions” with the exception of Trump.

Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon said in November 2017 that Trump was “like an 11-year-old child,” according to Vanity Fair. He also said that Trump had “lost his step.”

Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in July 2017 called Trump a “moron,”

At a dinner in July 2017, McMaster mocked Trump, also calling him an “idiot,” BuzzFeed News reported. At the dinner, which was with Oracle CEO Safra Catz, McMaster also said Trump was a “dope” with the intelligence of a “kindergartner,”

“A supreme sexist.”—Barbara Res, former executive vice-president of Trump Organization, who also said “he thinks he’s God.”

Working with Trump is “like trying to figure out what a child wants”—White House deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh

“The White House has become an adult day care center”—Republican senator Bob Corker of Tennessee

“Morally unfit to be president,” “unethical” and “untethered to truth”—former FBI director James Comey, who also compared the US president to a mafia boss.

Former intelligence agency director Robert Cardillo - “Our current president bases his decisions on his instincts, and his instincts are based upon a personal value proposition — what’s in it for me?”

“Less a person than a collection of terrible traits”—Trump’s former chief economic adviser Gary Cohn.

Olivia Troye, special adviser for homeland security and counterterrorism issues under Pence - Trump's biggest concern about the coronavirus had been how it would affect his reelection and said that he didn't care about people getting sick. She said she was a lifelong Republican who would vote for Biden.

John Kelly - “The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life.”

Someone who “sucks up and sh-ts down”—former Fox News chief and confidant Roger Ailes.

Sam Nunberg Adviser- “This idiot”

John Bolton, a self-described “lifelong conservative,” said he will not vote for President Trump in November, calling Trump a “danger for the republic”

Trump is “unfit for office” and lacks the “competence to carry out the job.”

Former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci says he no longer supports President Trump's re-election, calling his one-time employer "off the rails" and likening the presidency to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. 'The guy stinks and he’s a racist'

Ted Cruz - “Whatever he does he accused everyone else of doing. The man cannot tell the truth but he combines it with being a narcissist. A narcissist at a level I don’t think this country’s ever seen.”

Rand Paul - “My concern is that he would grab up that power and really treat the country as sort of his little bully fiefdom.” “Donald Trump is a delusional narcissist and orange-faced windbag.”

Marco Rubio - “Donald Trump is a con artist.”

Nikki Haley - “Donald Trump is everything I taught my children not to do in kindergarten.”

Marco Rubio - “Donald Trump has been exploiting working Americans for forty years.”

Lindsey Graham again, “He’s a race-bating xenophobic religious bigot.”

Kellyanne Conway - “He says he’s for the little guy but he’s actually built a lot of his businesses on the backs of the little guy.”

Mike Pompeo - “Donald Trump said the other day that if he ‘told a soldier to commit a war crime he would go do it.’ ”

Glenn Beck - “I don’t think Donald Trump has even read the constitution, knows what’s in the constitution.”

Rick Perry - “Trump is a toxic mix of demagoguery and mean-spiritedness and nonsense.”

Susan Collins, who backs Trump just about all of the time said, “I just cannot support Donald Trump.”

Ted Cruz - “He doesn’t know the difference between truth and lies. He lies, practically every word that comes out of his mouth.”

Lindsey Graham - “I think he’s a kook. I think he’s crazy. I think he’s unfit for office.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive list!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It’s old. I’ve done a lot of research into Trump over the past several years and collected quite a few notes documenting all the screwed up things Trump has said or done and that list was one of them. Notes as in the Notes App in Apple devices.

That list is a good example of what I was talking about. Cruz and Trump got into it during the first election. Trump called insulted up down and sideways. Trump said mean things about Cruz’s wife. Trump accused Cruz’s father of killing JFK. The woman in charge of Cruz’s election was Kellyanne Conway. She had some very unkind words to say about Trump. Trump wins the nomination and Cruz bends the knee and kisses Trumps ass. Kelly Anne Conway is hired by Trump and all of the sudden she thinks he’s the greatest. Lindsey Graham detested Trump…until he won the nomination.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nice post with receipts, 'Dack.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:34 pm
Guaranteed he’s going to be blasting them on Twitter in 3, 2, 1…..

Nice post dack! I’ve always had a mental notebook of the people who flip flopped on trump…. Lindsay graham to me is the worst and think trump has something on him to make him side with him because before he has zero problem criticizing him. It all changed right around John McCains death.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have zero respect for Graham. His words are meaningless to me.