Intelligence / spy stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Intelligence / spy stuff

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:52 am
He thinks he’s doing society a good thing. As an America I am ok with him hacking into our enemies systems. All countries have military secrets they don’t want out. Maybe some are bad things. Maybe some of those secrets are top secret weapons systems that should remain top secret and not given to our enemies.
You were ok when he was reporting on George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Was I?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:09 pm
Was I?
Were you upset at the time? Sorry, I don't want to assume. I just don't recall you mentioning anything about it or asking that Assange get arrested at the time.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Assange is a complicated figure. He seemed to do some genuine good in the earlier days of Wikileaks. He published documents showing some of the lies about the causes of the W Bush Iraq War. Then in 2010 he published the initial set of documents given to him by Chelsea Manning; those revealed corruption, grisly details about Guantanamo Bay torture, issues with some US allies, etc. It was a crime but it seemed to bring sunlight to some important concerns and issues.

But then in 2016 he used Wikileaks to publish a bunch of stolen emails of DNC staffers and other prominent Democrats that our security experts seem to agree were acquired by a Russian hack. You can say that Assange just wanted to share the truth, but in releasing this info stolen by Russia, Assange served as a useful idiot to help Russia discredit Hillary/Dems and push the "emails" and "Bernie got screwed" narratives among others. This may very well have swung the 2016 Presidential election to Trump.

I don't dislike Assange because he dislikes Hillary or because he happened to leak some stuff about Dems. I dislike him because he let himself be a willing pawn of our enemy to help influence our election. There's no virtue in that.
The Senate Intelligence Committee reported that "WikiLeaks actively sought, and played, a key role in the Russian intelligence campaign and very likely knew it was assisting a Russian intelligence influence effort."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:38 pm
Assange is a complicated figure. He seemed to do some genuine good in the earlier days of Wikileaks. He published documents showing some of the lies about the causes of the W Bush Iraq War. Then in 2010 he published the initial set of documents given to him by Chelsea Manning; those revealed corruption, grisly details about Guantanamo Bay torture, issues with some US allies, etc. It was a crime but it seemed to bring sunlight to some important concerns and issues.

But then in 2016 he used Wikileaks to publish a bunch of stolen emails of DNC staffers and other prominent Democrats that our security experts seem to agree were acquired by a Russian hack. You can say that Assange just wanted to share the truth, but in releasing this info stolen by Russia, Assange served as a useful idiot to help Russia discredit Hillary/Dems and push the "emails" and "Bernie got screwed" narratives among others. This may very well have swung the 2016 Presidential election to Trump.

I don't dislike Assange because he dislikes Hillary or because he happened to leak some stuff about Dems. I dislike him because he let himself be a willing pawn of our enemy to help influence our election. There's no virtue in that.
The Senate Intelligence Committee reported that "WikiLeaks actively sought, and played, a key role in the Russian intelligence campaign and very likely knew it was assisting a Russian intelligence influence effort."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange
He has said repeatedly that he didn't receive the emails from Russia, but refuses to tell people who his source was. I tend to believe him, over partisan theories brought by Hillary and her sycophants.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

But do you believe him, over partisan theories brought by Trump and his sycophants?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am
But do you believe him, over partisan theories brought by Trump and his sycophants?
If Julian Assange published dirt on Trump, I would tend to believe that it was true.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good history lesson here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sounds a lot like conspiracy theory #34176. The evil US institutions CIA, FBI, DHS, State Dept. etc. plotting the demise of the Republican Party in a secret coordinated scheme.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I get that you don't believe what's actually happening, but I'm disappointed that 2 other people liked your post.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 am
I get that you don't believe what's actually happening, but I'm disappointed that 2 other people liked your post.
I like you fire and passion but don't always agree on things posted. I get that we aren't going to agree on everything but more and more it feels like you're the only one that believes the things you do and aren't even open to listening to the other side. I hate both sides equally because they do nothing but divide us. Some stuff you post is just "noise" and doesn't help move the needle in getting our country back to some form of normalcy. When 90% of the stuff you post is from some unfounded, conspiratory source constantly, what are we supposed to think? When it's you vs. Everyone here, why is it always US that are in the wrong? You've been proven wrong on multiple occasions but still continue on with being insulted by you? I'm at a loss.

Like I've said MULTIPLE times.... I have more time than most and since I've been disabled and stuck at home since 2014 and grew up on Fox News. One day I decided to watch CNN... UGH, that was painful but was also interesting to see some of their viewpoints, so I continued on down the dial to MSNBC... again, couldn't stand Rachel Maddow for the life of me, but did she have some good points? Sure. It's extremely easy to see the partisan crap ALL networks do. We only get better as a country if we take the time to listen to each other's issues and work through them. All this political infighting does nothing for the American people and looks like a bunch of toddlers whining and tattling on each other instead of passing legislation to help the country out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:56 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 am
I like you fire and passion but don't always agree on things posted. I get that we aren't going to agree on everything but more and more it feels like you're the only one that believes the things you do and aren't even open to listening to the other side. I hate both sides equally because they do nothing but divide us. Everything you post is just "noise" and doesn't help move the needle in getting our country back to some form of normalcy. When 90% of the stuff you post is from some unfounded, conspiratory source constantly, what are we supposed to think? When it's you vs. Everyone here, why is it always US that are in the wrong? You've been proven wrong on multiple occasions but still continue on with being insulted by you? I'm at a loss.

Like I've said MULTIPLE times.... I have more time than most and since I've been disabled and stuck at home since 2014 and grew up on Fox News. One day I decided to watch CNN... UGH, that was painful but was also interesting to see some of their viewpoints, so I continued on down the dial to MSNBC... again, couldn't stand Rachel Maddow for the life of me, but did she have some good points? Sure. It's extremely easy to see the partisan crap ALL networks do. We only get better as a country if we take the time to listen to each other's issues and work through them. All this political infighting does nothing for the American people and looks like a bunch of toddlers whining and tattling on each other instead of passing legislation to help the country out.
I understand that some of the things that I have posted have been wrong, and I agreed when proven wrong. It's not 90% as you say, and I understand that it's hyperbole. If everyone here agrees on things, they aren't thinking. I think the only thing that people actually have disagreements between most of the posters here is in regard to what's happening in Israel. Otherwise, it's just a big circle jerk and echo chamber without someone with an opposing view. Is that what you want? I'm not trying to insult you or anyone for that matter. Even if there were a million people here and they all agreed about something that I thought was wrong, I wouldn't give an f. I would say what I think is right, and I'm not going to be swayed by some partisan concensus of posters on phx-suns.net.

Whether you listen or not, I can not make anyone listen. I suppose it becomes noise to you. I try my best to listen and read what others post, and if I disagree I will respond. If it's so outrageous to not illicit a response, I will abstain when I think I'm just going to insult someone or it's just not worth the fight at this moment.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
I like you fire and passion but don't always agree on things posted. I get that we aren't going to agree on everything but more and more it feels like you're the only one that believes the things you do and aren't even open to listening to the other side.
To be fair, there are millions of Americans who agree with most of the things In2 posts; he isn't out on the fringes of American politics. And if it seems like he's the only one saying those things, it's partly because most of the other conservative / Republican folks who visit this board don't want to post in this area any more. Maybe they didn't like all the back-and-forth and disagreement, etc.

I do understand and agree with part of what you're saying, Krypt; sometimes In2 doesn't seem the most receptive to new info and ideas. But I figure that at least he's here, and he's reading our messages and discussing these things with us. I find that I have a better time in this area when I just post what I want to say and what I want to talk about, and I focus less on things others said that I disagree with or want to argue with. There's no real need to try to get into a debate and change each other's minds. I try to just say my piece and move on.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:53 am
Kryptonic wrote:
I like you fire and passion but don't always agree on things posted. I get that we aren't going to agree on everything but more and more it feels like you're the only one that believes the things you do and aren't even open to listening to the other side.
To be fair, there are millions of Americans who agree with most of the things In2 posts; he isn't out on the fringes of American politics. And if it seems like he's the only one saying those things, it's partly because most of the other conservative / Republican folks who visit this board don't want to post in this area any more. Maybe they didn't like all the back-and-forth and disagreement, etc.

I do understand and agree with part of what you're saying, Krypt; sometimes In2 doesn't seem the most receptive to new info and ideas. But I figure that at least he's here, and he's reading our messages and discussing these things with us. I find that I have a better time in this area when I just post what I want to say and what I want to talk about, and I focus less on things others said that I disagree with or want to argue with. There's no real need to try to get into a debate and change each other's minds. I try to just say my piece and move on.
Now, I find out why you refuse to answer direct questions at times. Oh well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:22 pm
Sometimes I just get too busy; with all the little kids, it's hard. Sometimes I do just let a topic go if I don't think we're being constructive. No harm intended. I do read and consider all your posts, and I'll try my best to respond to questions as much as I can.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:14 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:22 pm
Sometimes I just get too busy; with all the little kids, it's hard. Sometimes I do just let a topic go if I don't think we're being constructive. No harm intended. I do read and consider all your posts, and I'll try my best to respond to questions as much as I can.
I know what it's like to have little kids. It's been awhile, but it still feels like yesterday.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess this probably goes here. We've seen a few of these type things in the past number of years.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oops, that's not good. Walking out with trade secrets is really hard to stop in tech. At some point you just have to trust your employees, but it's hard when they have head counts in the tens of thousands.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wow, this just popped up. Beware of siren emojis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Source?