Biden 2024

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Biden 2024

Post by Nodack »

The same policy for 80 years. The Palestinian side plans an attack, carries out attack, kills a bunch of Israeli’s, Israel responds and kills some Palestinians and rinse repeat for 80 years. This time Hamas planned an attack and did real damage and brutally killed a lot of women and children in the most barbaric ways Hamas could come up with. This time they killed roughly 1400 people and shook Israel to the core. This time Israel decided they are going to end this one way or the other and they don’t care what the world thinks. The world doesn’t seem to care when Hamas attacks. “They are terrorists, that’s what they do.”

I have asked several times what people think Israel and the US should be doing. Nobody has an answer other than not doing anything or “They should work it out peacefully.” Those are super lame answers. This conflict has been going on forever and it will never end and nobody has any idea how to stop it other than “Stop it!”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I've already been over this, and Nodack doesn't seem to accept my arguments about it. So I won't repeat myself. I disagree with him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess not all countries respect Biden.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't Italy just elect a far-right president recently?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am
I've already been over this, and Nodack doesn't seem to accept my arguments about it. So I won't repeat myself. I disagree with him.
Sorry mori. Nobody on planet earth so far has given me what I consider an acceptable answer to the question, so don’t feel bad. I like that you and I can disagree and not get mad at each other.

I think there is the short term vision of what should be happening. Hamas attacked. Israel gets to retaliate a little and then we go back to the normal fighting like usual and everyone is equally miserable. All the young people take that vision. Then there is the historical look over a much longer period of time that plays a role in this for me. Israel tired of getting attacked for 80 years decides to stop the attacks one way or the other.

The Palestinians are caught in the middle but, they are responsible too for the actions of their leaders Hamas. Both sides should come to the table and negotiate a peace. It’s just not going to ever happen according to Hamas or whatever terrorist organization is in charge of the Palestinians this decade.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:39 pm
Didn't Italy just elect a far-right president recently?

Far-right leader Giorgia Meloni has been sworn in as Italian premier
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/22/11307240 ... %20premier.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Btw, US media makes fun of Biden, too. As they made fun of Trump. It's very common.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:45 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sorry mori. Nobody on planet earth so far has given me what I consider an acceptable answer to the question, so don’t feel bad. I like that you and I can disagree and not get mad at each other.
Yup, no worries. Not upset with you at all. You are entitled to your opinion and have always been respectful when we talk about the issues here. Appreciate you pal.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You might need to click on the tweet to see the whole quote.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't the Border Patrol Union support the bipartisan border legislation that Trump personally got the GOP House leadership to block?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You mean the Ukraine & Israel bill.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:11 pm
They wouldn't put any bill to a vote. Not a clean border bill, not a clean Ukraine bill, not anything. They even said why: because it would potentially help Biden during an election year. They want to intentionally keep things worse for America so they can blame it on Democrats.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:59 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:11 pm
They wouldn't put any bill to a vote. Not a clean border bill, not a clean Ukraine bill, not anything. They even said why: because it would potentially help Biden during an election year. They want to intentionally keep things worse for America so they can blame it on Democrats.
That's only partially true. There were provisions in the bill that made them untenable. They couldn't vote for the bill with the poison pills in it, even if it gave Biden a win.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I need the Cenk Uygur "Of Course!" for this thread.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

From the Washington Examiner? Very questionable source.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:45 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

I think there is the short term vision of what should be happening. Hamas attacked. Israel gets to retaliate a little and then we go back to the normal fighting like usual and everyone is equally miserable. All the young people take that vision. Then there is the historical look over a much longer period of time that plays a role in this for me. Israel tired of getting attacked for 80 years decides to stop the attacks one way or the other.

The Palestinians are caught in the middle but, they are responsible too for the actions of their leaders Hamas. Both sides should come to the table and negotiate a peace. It’s just not going to ever happen according to Hamas or whatever terrorist organization is in charge of the Palestinians this decade.
Think I'm with 'dack on this one. The pro-Palestinian folks I know (many) seem to handwave away the atrocities that Hamas committed. This doesn't make it right to blow up Palestinian kids. But there's a certain logic to what Israel is doing -- they're going to genocide away a recurring threat.

I say that they take both the leadership of Hamas that did all those horrible things to those Israeli women and the Israeli ultraconservatives driving the current genocide to the Hague and hang the entire lot together just to spite both of them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"Uncommitted" had a fairly strong showing in MI's Dem primary yesterday. Many of those voters were signaling frustration with Biden's handling of the Israel/Palestine issue.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:34 am
From the Washington Examiner? Very questionable source.
This may help.
https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/wp-con ... tter54.pdf

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am
"Uncommitted" had a fairly strong showing in MI's Dem primary yesterday. Many of those voters were signaling frustration with Biden's handling of the Israel/Palestine issue.

I saw that a large percentage was in Dearborn.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I believe that clip is out-of-date since the final tally in Dearborn, MI was not nearly so slanted against Biden. He did not lose to "uncommitted" by 50 points; the final tally was Uncommitted 57%, Biden 40%. That's still clearly a lot of upset "uncommitted" voters, but let's not push a false story that Biden lost by 50 points.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 768534007/