House approves lawsuit against President Obama

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

House approves lawsuit against President Obama

Post by Mori Chu »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/30/politics/ ... index.html

My take: The House is filing a lawsuit against President Obama over ObamaCare? Really? This is so bitterly partisan and silly. Seriously, Republican or Democrat, how can they honestly support filing a lawsuit against the President just because they don't agree with something he did as President? This is literally the first time this has ever happened in American history. A real sign of how extreme things have gotten.

Friendly discussion welcome. Differing viewpoints allowed; flame wars and name-calling discouraged.

TOO

Re: House approves lawsuit against President Obama

Post by TOO »

Petty. I've always been on the everyone should be afforded healthcare, not just those that can afford it side.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think it's ridiculous that politicians are wasting their time and our money on this. There are much bigger problems at hand and they're playing games with this nonsense.

Cap

Post by Cap »

They (or the people to whom they pander) actually believe there is no bigger problem facing America than the fact that Barack Obama is President.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:They (or the people to whom they pander) actually believe there is no bigger problem facing America than the fact that Barack Obama is President.
This, sadly.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Cap wrote:They (or the people to whom they pander) actually believe there is no bigger problem facing America than the fact that Barack Obama is President.
This, sadly.
It's ridiculous. They can just deal with it. It's only two more years. The country is in such disrepair. The stock market is at an all-time high. SO miserable.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
This, sadly.
It's ridiculous. They can just deal with it. It's only two more years. The country is in such disrepair. The stock market is at an all-time high. SO miserable.
Yeah but *rabble* *rabble* Obamacare *rabble* Muslim! Blah blah...
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Superbone wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
This, sadly.
*cough* quantitative easing *cough*

My take is an overall meh. That which would be required to fix the path to financial ruin would make a President loathed by a goodly portion of the populace within a year or two. No politician has the stones to do it, so it's all just whistling down the road to ruin. The bubble will burst at some point and it will make '08 look like a birthday party. At this point they're just trying to keep it in the air so the blame doesn't splash down on whatever unfortunate soul is in office when it happens.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

As Bobby Boucher's mother would said,... Obama is the debil.
~~~~~

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/30/politics/ ... index.html

My take: The House is filing a lawsuit against President Obama over ObamaCare? Really? This is so bitterly partisan and silly. Seriously, Republican or Democrat, how can they honestly support filing a lawsuit against the President just because they don't agree with something he did as President? This is literally the first time this has ever happened in American history. A real sign of how extreme things have gotten.

Friendly discussion welcome. Differing viewpoints allowed; flame wars and name-calling discouraged.
from my understanding, obama cant unilaterally change laws (like obamacare, which his party has passed via party line). same with immigration laws. it's impeachable if a republican does it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not even trying to make the case that Obama is some great President or something. I think he's okay. Not great, not the devil. But whether you love him or hate him, filing a lawsuit against him is ridiculous. Obama hasn't done anything different than any other Presidents since the birth of our nation have done. I mean, did the Democrats sue W Bush for going to war without a declaration of war? Every president does something the other party doesn't like. Nobody starts ridiculous lawsuits about it. At worst, you try to impeach the guy, but that is also ludicrous because he hasn't done anything impeachable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The government of this nation is a clusterfuck. Anyone who desires to be a politician in this era should be barred from holding a government job.

Black, white, red, blue; they're slime ball extortionists.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:I'm not even trying to make the case that Obama is some great President or something. I think he's okay. Not great, not the devil. But whether you love him or hate him, filing a lawsuit against him is ridiculous. Obama hasn't done anything different than any other Presidents since the birth of our nation have done. I mean, did the Democrats sue W Bush for going to war without a declaration of war? Every president does something the other party doesn't like. Nobody starts ridiculous lawsuits about it. At worst, you try to impeach the guy, but that is also ludicrous because he hasn't done anything impeachable.
why would they sue dubya bush for going to war when he asked for authorization from congress? hillary, along with 6 other democrat presidential wannabes voted for the iraq war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution
Every president does something the other party doesn't like. Nobody starts ridiculous lawsuits about it.
dont worry, the GOP is too scared to impeach obama and the lawsuit doesnt mean he goes to jail, just stop his lawless unconstitutional changing of laws/non-enforcement of laws by letting the courts decide.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... reasonable

even mother jones
I've made this point before, but I'd like to make it again: Exactly why is John Boehner's lawsuit against President Obama so frivolous? I don't mean this in a strictly legal sense. It may be that the suit fails immediately for lack of standing.1 Or that the merits of this particular case don't hold water. We can let the lawyers battle that out.

Politically, though, what's wrong with asking a court to decide if a federal agency has overstepped the will of Congress in its execution of the law? The answer, of course, is: nothing. People do it all the time, hundreds of times a year. The only difference here is that a house of Congress is doing it. But why does that suddenly make it frivolous?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Partisanship on both sides have the country sicker than a person who hasn't taken a crap in a month.

“The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.”
― P.J. O'Rourke

"In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants." –Lewis Black

“We had a choice between Democrats who couldn't learn from the past and Republicans who couldn't stop living in it...”
― P.J. O'Rourke

"I don't know if you noticed, but our two-party system is a bowl of shit looking in the mirror at itself." –Lewis Black
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

And yet ironically Lewis Black is an Obama supporter.

I really don't get the sheer adoration people seem to have for the guy. I've never felt that way about any politician. Creeps me out.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I don't Black has supported any candidate for a long time. He once was Republican, but gave up on them. When I've seen him in the last couple of years, he's made fun of both sides with fairly equal vitriol.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Just going off of comments he makes on his Twitter feed, honestly. Haven't seen any of his shows.

SDC

Post by SDC »

remember, you guys still have 2 and a half years of obama. it will ONLY get worse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:remember, you guys still have 2 and a half years of obama. it will ONLY get worse.
I don't understand. You're not American. OK. But what's getting worse?
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:remember, you guys still have 2 and a half years of obama. it will ONLY get worse.
I don't understand. You're not American. OK. But what's getting worse?
foreign policy, off the top of my head.