Ferguson, Missouri shooting of Michael Brown

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SDC

Re: Ferguson, Missouri shooting of Michael Brown

Post by SDC »

i'm impressed that ferguson hasnt burned to the ground yet. but i credit the armed citizens there, not the police.

this is what a feckless police looks like over in europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_French_riots

SDC

Post by SDC »

Indy wrote:
SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:This entire situation is crazy, but it probably shouldn't be. From the (limited) time I spent doing ride alongs, and having several law enforcement officers in my family, minorities (and especially black guys) are incredibly more likely to have a weapon drawn on them than anyone else. Even if there are 95% good guys in the department, it helps breed racism. Giving people "above the law" authority to operate around citizens calls to a select group of people, especially considering the poor pay for police officers. The same way the old say goes anyone who is crazy enough to run for president doesn't deserve to be president, I feel similar about many of people we let police our communities.
http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpo ... es-murder/
So, it’s just fake to pretend that the association of young black men with violence comes out of thin air. Young black men murder 14 times more than young white men. If the kinds of things I just mentioned were regularly done by whites, it’d be trumpeted as justification for being scared to death of them.
Glad to know you haven't changed SDC.
statistics trumps anecdotes anytime. and i'm glad you are not a moderator, indy.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Autopsy shows that Michael Brown was shot six times, none of them in the back. Wounds to his arms entered from the front, which would not have happened if his hands were up.

No info on tox screen or GSR on the clothes, but lack of wounds in the back makes that eyewitness testimony suspect. The witness account claiming to have seen Brown charge the police office is so far being backed up by the data.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us ... &referrer=

Cap

Post by Cap »

Dan H wrote:Autopsy shows that Michael Brown was shot six times, none of them in the back. Wounds to his arms entered from the front, which would not have happened if his hands were up.

No info on tox screen or GSR on the clothes, but lack of wounds in the back makes that eyewitness testimony suspect. The witness account claiming to have seen Brown charge the police office is so far being backed up by the data.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us ... &referrer=
I can't say there's nothing exculpatory about that, however.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OK, you guys win. I looked up "exculpatory".
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Lol, cap be vocabbing pretty hard!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Autopsy reports shows he was shot at least 6 times

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/mi ... .html?_r=0

Interesting to note that all shots came from the front, and that none appeared to be from close range.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Holder Orders 3rd Ferguson Autopsy

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html
An earlier version of this story referred to the federal autopsy as a "second autopsy." Counting the family and state autopsies, it would be a third autopsy.
If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

if it wasn’t bad for those invested in The Narrative why would they order a third autopsy?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sorry Dan. Didn't see your post somehow.

Sent using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:
SDC wrote:
Indy wrote:This entire situation is crazy, but it probably shouldn't be. From the (limited) time I spent doing ride alongs, and having several law enforcement officers in my family, minorities (and especially black guys) are incredibly more likely to have a weapon drawn on them than anyone else. Even if there are 95% good guys in the department, it helps breed racism. Giving people "above the law" authority to operate around citizens calls to a select group of people, especially considering the poor pay for police officers. The same way the old say goes anyone who is crazy enough to run for president doesn't deserve to be president, I feel similar about many of people we let police our communities.
http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/22/viewpo ... es-murder/
So, it’s just fake to pretend that the association of young black men with violence comes out of thin air. Young black men murder 14 times more than young white men. If the kinds of things I just mentioned were regularly done by whites, it’d be trumpeted as justification for being scared to death of them.
Glad to know you haven't changed SDC.
statistics trumps anecdotes anytime. and i'm glad you are not a moderator, indy.
Your statistics quotes are meaningless. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What is this Narrative stuff? Nobody here has any narrative. We are just trying to discuss the story based on the information that is coming out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SDC wrote:Holder Orders 3rd Ferguson Autopsy

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html
An earlier version of this story referred to the federal autopsy as a "second autopsy." Counting the family and state autopsies, it would be a third autopsy.
If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

if it wasn’t bad for those invested in The Narrative why would they order a third autopsy?
The first was overseen by a town not currently trusted by its constituency, the second was done by a private physician at the family's request. I'm not sure it is needed, but it was clear from the Times article that the family autopsy didn't include all the evidence like the clothes.

Sent using Tapatalk

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Just thinking about Indy the other day when I was at the Chuck Box in Tempe with a friend. I remember when a bunch of us gathered for lunch there once. SODC was living in Tempe,then ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Good times Laz. I hadn't been there before or after. But just this weekend my wife asked if I had ever gone. I remembered that time, and just hours later was connected to Supe and the new site.

How is sodc doing nowadays? And how are you?

Sent using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Double effing crazy.

No matter how right or wrong the precipitating event was, the actions of the police afterward have been and continue to be atrocious. (As an aside I'm currently reading 'Rise of the Warrior Cop', which makes for an interesting historical perspective to all the nonsense currently going on).

Cap

Post by Cap »

It's incredible that someone can act that way when he knows it's being filmed. What could possibly make him think that pointing his gun right at the camera and saying "I will fucking kill you" is a good idea? It's almost like he was trying to become a YouTube star.

As for the other officer featured in the video, who acted like a sane, professional police officer, it almost seems like these days like that deserves some special commendation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

[tweet] [/tweet]

Sent using Tapatalk

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Cap

Post by Cap »

I also heard on CNN, contrary to the first autopsy result reported, that a second autopsy found that at least one bullet entered the arm back to front, which suggests he was shot either from behind or with his hands up.