Charles Barkley Bashed for making "Brainwashed Black"comment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SDC

Charles Barkley Bashed for making "Brainwashed Black"comment

Post by SDC »

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Spor ... ell-Wilson

Charles Barkley told a Philadelphia radio station that "one reason [black people are] never going to be successful as a whole is because of other black people."

The Hall of Famer's words came in reaction to reported criticisms of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson from his teammates that he lacked credibility as an African American. The Super Bowl champion graduated from NC State in three years, tweets Biblical verses to his online followers, and hails from a successful family that includes a grandfather who served as a college president.

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success," Barkley maintained. "It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent. They speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful."

The words have sparked criticism on some African American websites. Dr. Boyce Watkins argued that Barkley signaled that he would engage in an "explicit or implicit promotion of the everlasting oasis of white supremacy" by prefacing his remarks with, "As I tell my white friends." ThyBlackMan.com, incorporating Watkins's argument, laments that Barkley "doesn’t say much of anything about the 400 years that white people spent oppressing us, stealing our wealth, murdering black children, and putting black people in prison."

The Round Mound of Rebound lamented that African Americans, alone among ethnic groups, award credibility to their number who have served time in the prison system, which Barkley has for a drunk-driving offense. "When you're black," Barkley said on Afternoons with Anthony Gargano and Rob Ellis, "you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people. It's a dirty dark secret. I'm glad it’s coming out."

Phoenix219

Re: Charles Barkley Bashed for making "Brainwashed Black"com

Post by Phoenix219 »

This should probably be in the General (aka pseduo Politics) Folder....

It was trending on my facebook earlier today, the reactions seem to range from very supportive to the more typical PC stuff.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/1 ... nwash.html

carey

Post by carey »

I hope this doesn't get me labeled as a racist, but I'm going to disagree with Chuck. What he's really experiencing is human nature. All people do that to other people at times regardless of color in my experience. Maybe what he should say is that people assume all black people stick together, but they don't and here's proof. White folks do the same thing to other white folks all the time. I've not seen a culture or ethnicity that is relentlessly positive and supportive of others. There will always be resentment and hatred.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix219 wrote:This should probably be in the General (aka pseduo Politics) Folder....

It was trending on my facebook earlier today, the reactions seem to range from very supportive to the more typical PC stuff.

I agree. It has nothing to do with basketball. Moving.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:I hope this doesn't get me labeled as a racist, but I'm going to disagree with Chuck. What he's really experiencing is human nature. All people do that to other people at times regardless of color in my experience. Maybe what he should say is that people assume all black people stick together, but they don't and here's proof. White folks do the same thing to other white folks all the time. I've not seen a culture or ethnicity that is relentlessly positive and supportive of others. There will always be resentment and hatred.
All cultures do, but it does seem that American Black culture is one of the only ones that I have personally experienced that minimizes your legitimacy as a member for "being too smart."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:This should probably be in the General (aka pseduo Politics) Folder....

how about the dumbass thread, moderator?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:

How about it?
"Be Legendary."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

carey wrote:I hope this doesn't get me labeled as a racist, but I'm going to disagree with Chuck. What he's really experiencing is human nature. All people do that to other people at times regardless of color in my experience. Maybe what he should say is that people assume all black people stick together, but they don't and here's proof. White folks do the same thing to other white folks all the time. I've not seen a culture or ethnicity that is relentlessly positive and supportive of others. There will always be resentment and hatred.
I agree with you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:

How about it?
i'm fine with the move, but as to whether this should be in teh suns forum or not, charles barkley's a former sun and he's still relevant because of his work as a basketball analyst at TNT.
Last edited by SDC on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

but "acting white" term is unique, right?

it's a pejorative word used by blacks and aimed at black ppl who are strive for success, who hit the books, who behave responsibly etc. because to compare said him/her to a white person is probably the WORST thing in the world.

it's also interesting that being educated, being responsible, being intelligent is associated with being white.

but i think the "acting white" term is obsolete. how about "acting like an asian"?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:

How about it?
i'm fine with the move, but as to whether this should be in teh suns forum or not, charles barkley's a former sun and he's still relevant because of his work as a basketball analyst at TNT.
Probably both threads should be in General. The only link to basketball/Suns is that they are former Suns players but the content is non-basketball / non-Suns.
"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Probably move this to politics.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Barkley makes a lot of dumb comments, but he speaks from the heart for the most part and believes what he says. I think there is a lot of truth in what he says and it's sad. He isn't the first to say those thoughts. Being book smart in school in the certain areas is looked down upon. I don't know if it's a jealousy thing or what, but that mentality is part of the reason some of our schools are failing. I am not sure what you do to correct this.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The discussion here morphed into a Ferguson discussion, so I moved some of the posts to that thread.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kenny Smith published an open letter to Barkley with his own thoughts about Ferguson and about Barkley's comments on it. Not saying that I agree 100% with Kenny's letter, but I thought it was related to this thread so it should be posted.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/kenny-s ... -exclusive

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was a great letter by Kenny. Kenny and Charles both have points. What Charles calls thug behavior Kenny calls misplaced anger. I'm ok with either. Mobs of angry people tend to get violent.

Blacks have been historically screwed over by whites in this country for a long time and over time we have improved conditions and relations, but there is always a feeling of distrust between the two groups generally speaking. When these incidents come up it is a chance to move the bar in one direction or the other. In the Brown case I would have to say they deteriated some moving the bar in the wrong direction.

This case and the others that are in the news right now are certainly bringing a spotlight to police training, screening and tactics which I suppose is a good thing. There are some good and bad cops everywhere. There are some good and bad people in every sector of society. Life goes on.

What is going to move the bar in the right direction? I think it is moving ever so slowly in the right direction. We elected a half black President. Who would have thought that possible even a short time ago? Sure, half of America hates the President, but not all of them hate him because of his race. Some hate him because he is a Democrat because all Democrats are _________ just like all Mexicans are _______ and all Blacks are _________ just like all Republicans are _________ to go along with all rich people are ________.

See how easy it is to stereotype?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's hard for us priviledged caucasions to put our feet in the shoes of blacks or other minorities. There are so many priviledges that we are afforded that we're not even aware of that minorities are not. Kenny even alluded to the fact that it even affects priviledged minorities like Barkley after enough time out of that environment.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I think it was a good discussion. I like that Barkley speaks his mind and doesn't hold back. I agree with Barkley's grandmother that every individual should be judged separately no matter the color of their skin.
"Be Legendary."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I'd consider this sort of thing more dangerously racist, but what do I know?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... ocial-Good