Elon Musk Compares Building Artificial Intelligence To “Summ

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Dan H

Elon Musk Compares Building Artificial Intelligence To “Summ

Post by Dan H »

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/26/elon-m ... the-demon/

If there's one tangible cultural benefit from science fiction, it's that it's predicted (or perhaps inspired) so many technologies over the years - submarines, cell phones, the Internet, etc.

I find Musk's theory interesting because most AI's as presented by sci-fi have tended toward the negative part of the spectrum. There are a few that run contrary to the example, but what's your take on this - does he have a point?

BTW - there's a great book called "Daemon" about the dangers of interconnected systems that aren't even at an AI level.

SDC

Re: Elon Musk Compares Building Artificial Intelligence To “

Post by SDC »

i agree with musk. why give computers and robots the ability to think for themselves? i just want them to follow orders and do the task as quickly and efficiently as possible.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's certainly interesting. I've read articles where AI is basically around now in our smartphones, computers and other technology. It's the self-aware component that gets into the gray area and the negative part of the spectrum only comes into play if self-preservation is part of the AI. Then, like anything else, a computer may "fight back" if it feels threatened.

There are a lot of things that aren't being thought about here though. If a computer or other tech has AI and even self awareness/"feelings", do we get into moral issues we face with humans and animals. If a smartphone with AI is deemed obsolete, do we simply throw it away? Bury it? Can its parts be scrapped or do they have to be donated? If you drop your phone where it's barely working, bring it to the store and they can't fit it and tell you to shut it down, is it euthanasia? If you throw your phone against the wall in a fit of rage, is it murder?!?!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Sounds like Elon Musk watched the Age of Ultron trailer too many times.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Best use of "No Strings on Me" ever. ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think most of what we have now is AI, but what I think Musk is talking about is more MI: Manufactured Intelligence. At that point, it isn't artificial. It is real, it just isn't biological. Someone/thing made it. That is when we get into the ethical questions Shel talked about. I am sure everyone says this in their generations, but the next 50 years are going to be crazy.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

ShelC wrote:It's certainly interesting. I've read articles where AI is basically around now in our smartphones, computers and other technology. It's the self-aware component that gets into the gray area and the negative part of the spectrum only comes into play if self-preservation is part of the AI. Then, like anything else, a computer may "fight back" if it feels threatened.

There are a lot of things that aren't being thought about here though. If a computer or other tech has AI and even self awareness/"feelings", do we get into moral issues we face with humans and animals. If a smartphone with AI is deemed obsolete, do we simply throw it away? Bury it? Can its parts be scrapped or do they have to be donated? If you drop your phone where it's barely working, bring it to the store and they can't fit it and tell you to shut it down, is it euthanasia? If you throw your phone against the wall in a fit of rage, is it murder?!?!
Honestly, that's a question we've been asking ourselves for so long you could almost say that it's a cultural archetype. Pygmalion? Frankenstein's monster? Does what we create reflect our hopes and dreams, or what we really are?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:I think most of what we have now is AI, but what I think Musk is talking about is more MI: Manufactured Intelligence. At that point, it isn't artificial. It is real, it just isn't biological. Someone/thing made it. That is when we get into the ethical questions Shel talked about. I am sure everyone says this in their generations, but the next 50 years are going to be crazy.
The next 10 years are going to be crazy. Book it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Shoudln't this be in the TV thread, under "Person of Interest" ? :D

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am not that afraid of the terminator coming true so much. Humans have emotions and emotions tend to guide our decisions. For an AI to turn on us I think it would need to fear us and I don't think they are capable of that yet. I am not sure if they can make Data have emotions for quite some time. If we do create an AI that thinks on it's own and has real emotions then we might have to start worrying about that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Emotions are nothing more than programmed responses designed to get us what we "need". If a manufactured intelligence is really capable of learning from its experiences, I think it would operate with emotions. I don't think you have to program it in.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The main difference between KITT and KARR was that KARR's primary directive was self-preservation whereas KITT's was to preserve human life.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think any thinking being will have self-preservation be the primary directive, regardless of initial programming...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Then we're all doomed.