Video: 10 Hours of walking in NYC as a woman

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
SwingMan

Re: Video: 10 Hours of walking in NYC as a woman

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Hopeless.
Why? Just because I prefer to lop off the bullshit and cut to the chase?

What's hopeless is fencing with mindless politically correct minutiae - not here on the board, but in the subject matter at hand.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
And, one thing you've neglected to acknowledge thus far: Mori used the word "ask" - these women did not ask, they demanded. Big difference and a prime example of being emboldened as I previously mentioned.
I guess you are right. They demanded to not be demeaned, just like Martin Luther demanded to not be demeaned for his religious beliefs, or how Martin Luther King demanded to not be demeaned based on the color of his skin. How hypocritical of them!
Oh cut the hubris, Indy - if men did the same thing, they'd be ripped from asshole to appetite by just about every "special interest" group one could imagine. Just like how whites seem to be excluded from pointing out racism where it exists.

Gender does not - or, at least, should not - entitle one to special protection or privileges. I'm calling ass on the political correctness, is all.
Again, I am amazed that you feel persecuted as a white male.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:

What's hopeless is fencing with mindless politically correct minutiae - not here on the board, but in the subject matter at hand.
I know Mori. It has been over a dozen years. I should know better!

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:

But you aren't cutting to the chase. What you are lopping off is the substance and leaving the bullshit.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
And, one thing you've neglected to acknowledge thus far: Mori used the word "ask" - these women did not ask, they demanded. Big difference and a prime example of being emboldened as I previously mentioned.
I guess you are right. They demanded to not be demeaned, just like Martin Luther demanded to not be demeaned for his religious beliefs, or how Martin Luther King demanded to not be demeaned based on the color of his skin. How hypocritical of them!
Oh cut the hubris, Indy - if men did the same thing, they'd be ripped from asshole to appetite by just about every "special interest" group one could imagine. Just like how whites seem to be excluded from pointing out racism where it exists.

Gender does not - or, at least, should not - entitle one to special protection or privileges. I'm calling ass on the political correctness, is all.
Way to put words in my mouth - since when did I even indicate that any of this had to do with me personally? :lol:

No, that there and your 2 subsequent posts just shows that you're more interested in trying to shut differing views down as opposed to discussing/debating them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Indy wrote:

Way to put words in my mouth - since when did I even indicate that any of this had to do with me personally? :lol:

No, that there and your 2 subsequent posts just shows that you're more interested in trying to shut differing views down as opposed to discussing/debating them.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Anyways, I'll leave the discussion with this - just ask yourself what you yourselves would've done :

[youtube][/youtube]

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And, BTW :

The woman in question was pinched for felony assault and disorderly conduct

Sucks that he was pinched for misdemeanor assault for defending himself, but, such is life in PC NYC, I guess.....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That video and situation have nothing whatsoever to do with our discussion. I see it as another example of oversimplification. You don't like it when one group of women complains about an insulting shirt in a newscast, so you go find something bad that a completely different woman did. Nobody here is saying that all women are faultless and that women never do anything bad. But just because one belligerent woman is mean and rude to a passenger on a subway doesn't mean that this other group of women are wrong about the insulting shirt.

Do you really think that all women act as a collective unit or something? Do you think that this video of an incident on a subway somehow invalidates the complaint about the offensive shirt in any way? That it relates to the current discussion at all?

When you group an entire group together and think of them all as one collective, holding one accountable for the actions of another, that's stereotyping and discrimination by definition.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:That video and situation have nothing whatsoever to do with our discussion. I see it as another example of oversimplification. You don't like it when one group of women complains about an insulting shirt in a newscast, so you go find something bad that a completely different woman did. Nobody here is saying that all women are faultless and that women never do anything bad. But just because one belligerent woman is mean and rude to a passenger on a subway doesn't mean that this other group of women are wrong about the insulting shirt.

Do you really think that all women act as a collective unit or something? Do you think that this video of an incident on a subway somehow invalidates the complaint about the offensive shirt in any way? That it relates to the current discussion at all?

When you group an entire group together and think of them all as one collective, holding one accountable for the actions of another, that's stereotyping and discrimination by definition.
Um, just to clarify - the point of posting the above video is that there's always 2 sides to every story.

What's the first reaction that you'd have if you'd read an article about this incident without a video to corroborate the full story? Be honest.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I'd also like to address this bit of irony concerning your false allegation towards me :
Mori Chu wrote:When you group an entire group together and think of them all as one collective, holding one accountable for the actions of another, that's stereotyping and discrimination by definition.
Were you not assuming that this group of feminists speaks for *all* women earlier?

Indy

Post by Indy »

SwingMan wrote:I'd also like to address this bit of irony concerning your false allegation towards me :
Mori Chu wrote:When you group an entire group together and think of them all as one collective, holding one accountable for the actions of another, that's stereotyping and discrimination by definition.
Were you not assuming that this group of feminists speaks for *all* women earlier?
Why would you assume that?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He assumes that because he is committing a straw man logical fallacy.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Swingman's solution to ending racism and sexism is to pretend it doesn't exist. Basically, if we don't acknowledge it, it'll just go away. "Women, blacks, and gays just need to shut the fuck up already."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Xylus wrote:Swingman's solution to ending racism and sexism is to pretend it doesn't exist. Basically, if we don't acknowledge it, it'll just go away. "Women, blacks, and gays just need to shut the fuck up already."
[Green text]Is that an actual quote?[/Green text]

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:He assumes that because he is committing a straw man logical fallacy.
No more straw than you claiming that I'm everything short of a bigot, Mori.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Xylus wrote:Swingman's solution to ending racism and sexism is to pretend it doesn't exist. Basically, if we don't acknowledge it, it'll just go away. "Women, blacks, and gays just need to shut the fuck up already."
Ah, nothing like entering a discussion with emotion on an invisible foundation - if it ain't left, it ain't right. :lol:

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And, you never answered my question, Mori.....

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Do you not understand that what you posted has nothing to do with the discussion at hand?