Christian Asks Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional Cake

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Ghost

Re: Christian Asks Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional

Post by Ghost »

As far as the free market sorting out the bigots, I think that the women's suffrage movement, the 1950s, and the end of slavery would have some objections to make to that unbelievably naive concept.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ghost wrote:The gay couple that was discriminated against was not asking for a "pro-gay" cake. They just wanted a cake. As a for-profit business, you agree to play by certain rules, which include providing your service to anyone who wants to patronize that business (although there are limits to how far you have to go).
That's different then.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This whole argument to me is simple. People are going to be straight, gay or bi. It's not something new. You can't change them. You can either accept them or not. The guy on the video doesn't accept gays and wants to be an ass about it. Zzzzzz.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yup. I roll my eyes when people talk about gays "forcing" their "lifestyle" on others. No gay person ever came up to you and tried to force you to be gay, or to openly love his gayness, etc. People just want to be tolerated and be able to be who they are.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And much of society keeps trying to force people to be something else.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

http://thefederalist.com/2014/12/23/con ... e-warrior/

Kind of ties in with what I said above, live and let live isn't good enough and apathy is verboten.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is a lot of twisting of words in there Dan. For example, the city didn't force ministers to perform gay marriages. It said businesses can't discriminate based on which tab you put in which slot. And it isn't extreme feminists that were offended by the shirt. If it were just the extremes, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

"How did we find this out? First, they came for the Christians, in legal cases meant to force conservative believers to provide funding for abortifacient contraceptives and to participate in gay marriage ceremonies."

Wow. He couldn't make even ONE POINT without comparing liberals to Nazis.
Kind of ties in with what I said above, live and let live isn't good enough and apathy is verboten.
Apathy is perfectly fine, actually. But this false indignation that a lot of the right wing seems to feel when other groups point out that your "live and let live" philosophy isn't actually working out nearly as well as you might think it is...well, that's a problem. If you want to be apathetic about gay rights, women's rights, race, and so on...fine, be apathetic.

You aren't being apathetic when you are like this dude, though, posting long, meandering sermons about how we should all just get along, and pretending that there is no problem, so why doesn't everyone just shut up about it.

That's not apathy, but willful ignorance. If you feel apathetic, then act apathetic. Change the channel, read something else that actually interests you. Telling a group that they should be quiet just because YOU don't see a problem, however, is pretty damn arrogant.

Then again, the butt-hurt one must feel to compare the -- ahem -- "war on religion" to the Nazis is kind of similar to arrogance, just with a hefty dose of delusion.