Terror attack in Paris

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Terror attack in Paris

Post by Nodack »

FOX News was just being FOX News. All stories are slanted to fit the right wing agenda.

There are areas in every large city on the planet where you shouldn't go depending on who you are, especially after dark.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Exactly, Nodack.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:Fox's apology is addressed in the last link I posted.
It is addressed and dismissed by effectively saying, "well they were wrong and admitted they were wrong, but that doesn't mean they were actually wrong." Color me unimpressed.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wonder what ISIS thinks they are going to gain from doing crap like that? The two ISIS members they wanted in exchange for the pilot have been executed right after that. Jordan hates America, but will gladly join the fight. As they execute more and more people from various countries all they are doing is helping to make the coalition against them stronger and stronger.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I refuse to watch that. These people are animals. I'm sorry for that last statement. It is an affront to animals.
"Be Legendary."

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Just "random" shootings in Denmark. No need to get uptight. Let's talk about those Crusades.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Nodack wrote:I wonder what ISIS thinks they are going to gain from doing crap like that? The two ISIS members they wanted in exchange for the pilot have been executed right after that. Jordan hates America, but will gladly join the fight. As they execute more and more people from various countries all they are doing is helping to make the coalition against them stronger and stronger.
I've been mulling this thought over in my head for a few days because I am trying to figure this out as well. Much of the war on terror is a battle of ideology. This is why it's so hard for us to win -- it's really hard to convince someone we're the good guy when we blow up a village in order to take out a target. My point has nothing to do with our use of force, but I'm using that example because for someone in that village who isn't a part of the conflict, that makes us look like the enemy.

Other terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah actually do things to help people in their countries. They can spin our attacks as us being the big evil empire trying to destroy their way of life, and while we know this is not the case, they have a system where every time we act against them, they can use it to recruit more bodies to blow up.

ISIS, as far as I can tell, is totally different. I don't see any level of them trying to build support in the population. It's just conquest by brute force. And they have been moderately successful, but I just flat out don't get it. Their goal is the creation of a new Islamic nation, but their tactics just scream chaos and further destabilization of the region. It seems like they are enemies of everyone. I am sure there must be more going on that I am unaware of, but it just seems very weird to me.

And terrifying.

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

Believe it or not but the ISIS people actually do help out populations, giving out food, medicine etc.

The difference with Al Qaida is they want to create some sort of a country (a "Califate" as they say) while Al Qaida is all about underground networking.

ISIS is probably the most violent and ruthless terrorist group out there (with Boko Haram) but it's not all they do.

By the way, I heard they don't trust westerners that join them much so they send them to the first line or to do suicide attacks just about as soon as they get there, before they can change their minds I guess...

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So it seems ISIS isn't too worried about making enemies since it thinks it is ushering in the end of the world according to their scripture.

The Islamic State awaits the army of “Rome,” whose defeat at Dabiq, Syria, will initiate the countdown to the apocalypse.

The country of Rome no longer exists. So it boils down to them being just another religious cult predicting the end of the world and hoping they can speed it up some. They have gone back to the strictest interpretation of the Koran and reject anything modern and yet use all the most modern technology available to spread their Gospel. Twitter, Facebook, nice HD cameras and slick video propaganda. They are attracting a lot of members from all over the world.

I have given up on what should be done about them. We are too caught up in our war with each other here in the US to do anything as a united country. That ship has long sailed. The Republican vendetta against Obama goes much deeper than any other issues. They are guaranteed to be against anything he tries to accomplish even fighting ISIS. If he does nothing he is weak. If he sends in ground troops he is a war monger. If he uses air alone he has no plan. If he gets a coalition together to figure out ways to combat ISIS propaganda they say it is the dumbest plan ever. The GOP ISIS stance is to be against whatever Obama does like their stance on every other issue. Our politics so disgust me anymore. We need to eliminate the phrase "United We Stand" from all US currency and books. The phrase no longer applies to us.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dan H wrote:Just "random" shootings in Denmark. No need to get uptight. Let's talk about those Crusades.
I will not call anything about the Denmark (or any other terrorist act) a "silver lining," but this happened, and it had a pretty damn good turnout. All in all, did it DO anything? Not really, but these are the people who want (and need) to take back their religion, and this is a good precedent to start from.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... ?tid=sm_fb

EDIT: As with so many events of this type, from any group, it looks like reports may have been grossly overestimating the number of Muslims in the group, which might be as low as 20. That's unfortunate, and I wish the party (whether the media covering it, or the group itself) who is responsible would realize how much damage that kind of lying does to their cause. There were about 1300 PEOPLE in the crowd, but it was not at all the huge Muslim protest against anti-Semitism that it was made out to be.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Ghost wrote:
Dan H wrote:Just "random" shootings in Denmark. No need to get uptight. Let's talk about those Crusades.
I will not call anything about the Denmark (or any other terrorist act) a "silver lining," but this happened, and it had a pretty damn good turnout. All in all, did it DO anything? Not really, but these are the people who want (and need) to take back their religion, and this is a good precedent to start from.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... ?tid=sm_fb

EDIT: As with so many events of this type, from any group, it looks like reports may have been grossly overestimating the number of Muslims in the group, which might be as low as 20. That's unfortunate, and I wish the party (whether the media covering it, or the group itself) who is responsible would realize how much damage that kind of lying does to their cause. There were about 1300 PEOPLE in the crowd, but it was not at all the huge Muslim protest against anti-Semitism that it was made out to be.
Unfortunately typical of the media. I'd call the event a positive, though.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Yep...and the low number is no more official than the first number I saw, so it was probably somewhere in between. Still not good reporting, but, you are correct. It's a positive, and I commend everyone, Muslim and non, who showed up for doing the right thing.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

I'm not sure where else to stick this, but sheesh - surely they could have found someone more fitting for the role, if it was one that was even required in the first place?

http://news.yahoo.com/imam-said-ayaana- ... 41835.html

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just watched a series on WWI. War is stupid.

Zeratul

Post by Zeratul »

Hey guys,

Heard the news? Yet another terrorist attack in Paris, about 200+ dead or severely wounded...

This time it wasn't an attack on anti-religion cartoonists, just random people either going to te ball game or drinking a beer in a café or going to a concert... Women, children, old folks... All murdered for a war they probably hardly knew about...

Most horrific was probably the Concert Hall... They just decided to murder everybody in sight and put a bullet in the head of the wounded lying on the floor... Lots of teenagers and young folks died there...

Feeling kinda down right now... It all happened in the neighborhood where I grew up , I knew the concert hall vey well (and actually even played there 15 years ago) and my Dad still lives over there and saw the whole thing from another café like 100 yards away... He's OK but needless to say he's in shock...

Gotta hate fanatics... I fear this might just be the beginning though...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Very sad. I'm sure it will prompt a lot of anti-Islam sentiment and calls for violence, too, which probably isn't what we need right now. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.