Rand Paul filibustering renewal of Patriot Act

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Dan H

Rand Paul filibustering renewal of Patriot Act

Post by Dan H »

Mori Chu

Re: Rand Paul filibustering renewal of Patriot Act

Post by Mori Chu »

I am sad that they keep renewing that thing. Obama let me down by renewing it and re-opening Gitmo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn't know Gitmo ever closed. He wanted to close it I thought. No state would allow the prisoners and Republicans blocked it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Been reading up on the Patriot act. From what I have gathered, key provisions are set to expire June 1st unless extended. Generally speaking Republicans want to extend it without any conditions and Democrats want to reform it to clarify parts. If they can't agree those parts just expire.

The sticking point it seems is meta data collection. The Patriot Act made it clear that the NSA could only gather meta data from those suspected of terrorism. Bush argued that they couldn't do that effectively unless they collected the meta data from everybody first and won. The author of the Patriot Act has gone on record saying it wasn't his intention for that to happen. Democrats are trying to make it clear in the Act that they can only collect data from those suspected of terrorism, not every person in America. Republicans want the Act to remain unchanged and just extended. I think Paul is against it altogether.

Anybody want to lay down bets on this one? They can't agree on anything and it expires or do they come to a last second compromise?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/politics/ ... index.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It sounds like they aren't going to come to an agreement. Which I guess is good because screw the Patriot Act.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

The "good" Republicans are against it, Nodack. Mike Lee has even introduced legislation to strip it from the Patriot Act if it's not sunsetted.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... l/356/text

Of course to such "statesmen" as John McCain he's a wacko bird or a hobbit. With friends like McCain, McConnell, and Graham, who needs enemies.

Lotta good stuff in here:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 26676.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

McCain has gone off the deep end awhile back. He still gets lots of press because he makes big bold statements, but I don't think that many Republicans even respect him anymore.