County taxes increasing to pay Arpaio's legal bills

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Ladmo

County taxes increasing to pay Arpaio's legal bills

Post by Ladmo »

SHERIFF JOE’S SHENANIGANS JUST INCREASED COUNTY TAXES; WILL REPUBLICAN GRAY-HAIRS FINALLY CATCH A CLUE?

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/she ... ue-7453590

"..."The proposed tax increase will cause Maricopa County's primary property taxes on a $100,000 home to increase from $130.07 to $136.09."

Six bucks. With which, if the county weren't swiping it from you, you could purchase a plate of delicious blueberry-muffin pancakes at Denny's, with a side order of two eggs and two strips of greasy bacon.

Now, why does the county have to increase property taxes? What's the need for this additional $21 million or so?

Well, one crater-size pothole that needs filling is the result of ongoing expenses in the federal civil rights case Melendres v. Arpaio.

That's the one in which Arpaio and his organization were found guilty of racial profiling by a federal judge — and ordered to stop, with a long list of requirements, including new training, dash cameras, and the cost of a court-appointed monitor team to implement it all.

The county's Fiscal Year 2016 budget appropriation for Melendres is $23.8 million, a figure that does not include legal fees.

So it's safe to say that if the county did not have to keep forking out dough on Melendres, it may have been able to meet its fiscal obligations without raising property taxes.

Ergo, your taxes are going up because of Arpaio's policies.

I should note, as I have in previous columns, that if you include the case's expenses and legal fees from its start in 2008 through the end of fiscal year 2016, Melendres has made a $51.3 million dent in the county's coffers.

And because this is not a lawsuit covered by the county's self-funding insurance policy (known as risk management), all this loot comes out of the county's general fund..."
Forcing me to conform to your beliefs is an exercise in futility.
You deal with you, because you can't stop me from being me.

Ghost

Re: County taxes increasing to pay Arpaio's legal bills

Post by Ghost »

Yeah, he is one thing I really do not miss about Arizona.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How did the move go? Settling in?

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

The move was agonizing, but it's over. I had no clue how much crap I had. The new place is only half the size, so I had to get rid of most of it, which was nice. And Portland is great. No air conditioning, and it's been warm but not Phoenix warm, so that's been a bit of an adjustment. Then again, my electric bill for my first month was only $27.00.

I wouldn't say I'm fully settled, but I'm glad I moved finally. I like it here. It's nice being able to walk everywhere.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Congrats on your move. I'm planning on moving within a year and I look forward to decluttering and just getting rid of old junk that's been collected over the years.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

That's one thing I hate about it here. Can't walk where you need to go 99% of the time.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Superbone wrote:Congrats on your move. I'm planning on moving within a year and I look forward to decluttering and just getting rid of old junk that's been collected over the years.
Start NOW. the stress of moving is bad in good circumstances. If you have to declutter all at once, it turns to hell fast. Also, psychologically I think it's harder to prep for a move when you have a full house of stuff. I stayed in Phoenix an extra year longer than intended because I couldn't find energy to start the process.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ghost wrote:
Superbone wrote:Congrats on your move. I'm planning on moving within a year and I look forward to decluttering and just getting rid of old junk that's been collected over the years.
Start NOW. the stress of moving is bad in good circumstances. If you have to declutter all at once, it turns to hell fast. Also, psychologically I think it's harder to prep for a move when you have a full house of stuff. I stayed in Phoenix an extra year longer than intended because I couldn't find energy to start the process.
Thanks for the tip. Great advice! I'm already dreading it. :)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I love shedding stuff. I feel great when I do. But I'm not good at actually doing it.