Trump calls for religious test to enter America

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Trump calls for religious test to enter America

Post by Indy »

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it on twitter. The only joke is that there will be many in this country that support this bigotry. It is scary and sad. So I guess that makes it not a joke. I just don't know anymore.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/673982228163072000

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-d ... share&_r=0

Wally_West

Re: Trump calls for religious test to enter America

Post by Wally_West »

This is absolutely disgusting. The fact that he is the front runner for the republicans is utterly pathetic.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

But no longer surprising.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These kinds of announcements from Trump are all part of a plan to get attention.

* Step 1: Notice that you haven't been in the news much lately or are slipping in a poll.
* Step 2: Say something outlandish to get lots of attention and headlines. Not everybody will like it, but everybody will be talking about you.
* Step 3: Later once the dust settles a bit, back down slightly from the outlandish statement or drop it altogether. You'll seen as moderating yourself and being open to new ideas.
* Repeat.

The best way to deal with Trump is to stop paying so much attention to him. He's just trolling the Democrats at this point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:These kinds of announcements from Trump are all part of a plan to get attention.

* Step 1: Notice that you haven't been in the news much lately or are slipping in a poll.
* Step 2: Say something outlandish to get lots of attention and headlines. Not everybody will like it, but everybody will be talking about you.
* Step 3: Later once the dust settles a bit, back down slightly from the outlandish statement or drop it altogether. You'll seen as moderating yourself and being open to new ideas.
* Repeat.

The best way to deal with Trump is to stop paying so much attention to him. He's just trolling the Democrats at this point.
And leading polls of Republican voters of who they want to be President (and get to make some of these outlandish things policy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Cruz will be the guy in the end to win the nomination and that scares me the most. He is more dangerous than Trump IMO.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:I think Cruz will be the guy in the end to win the nomination and that scares me the most. He is more dangerous than Trump IMO.
Only in so much as people don't think he is as crazy as he really is. Man, this is so scary.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

At this point the worst part of it is going to my Facebook and seeing all the outraged liberals reposting these articles and quotes about him. Everybody's just recycling what he says. The rage of the reaction becomes overwhelming.

We have to let go and stop taking him seriously by reacting to the ridiculous things he is saying. He won't get the nomination, and he won't win the presidency. He is a distraction.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:At this point the worst part of it is going to my Facebook and seeing all the outraged liberals reposting these articles and quotes about him. Everybody's just recycling what he says. The rage of the reaction becomes overwhelming.

We have to let go and stop taking him seriously by reacting to the ridiculous things he is saying. He won't get the nomination, and he won't win the presidency. He is a distraction.
You are in California. Imagine what Facebook feeds look like elsewhere. Especially when you see friends of friends. There seems to be way more support for him than there should be. He is clearly a misogynistic racist.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's true. And I don't mean to be insensitive about how abrasive and inappropriate he has been. I guess what I'm getting at is: Part of his appeal to his supporters is how much he riles up liberals and The Left. Seeing Democrats flip out about him and his comments is delightful to his supporters. It only makes him stronger.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I understand what you are saying. I guess my point is that a huge portion of this country thinks he is sane. That is insane. And scary. I hope (like a lot of people) that he will fade away because it will be proven he is so crazy, but that just moves the spectrum further towards him. Once he is gone, like Dack said, people like Cruz won't look as crazy.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump to me is all hot air and ego. For some reason I don't think he would be near as crazy if elected as he sounds now.

Cruz reminds me of Greg Stillson/Martin Sheen in the Dead Zone.