Protests at Trump rallies

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Protests at Trump rallies

Post by Mori Chu »

So Trump had to cancel his speech in Chicago due to protests and violence. What do you think about this? Are the protesters to blame? Does Trump egg this on with his rhetoric?

carey

Re: Protests at Trump rallies

Post by carey »

Trump definitely encourages the violence. I would have gone & protested in NOLA if I could.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:So Trump had to cancel his speech in Chicago due to protests and violence. What do you think about this? Are the protesters to blame? Does Trump egg this on with his rhetoric?
No, he did not have to cancel it. Law enforcement say he was not told or advised to cancel it. He chose to cancel it and claim he was being censored by liberal thugs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The rhetoric continues to ratchet up. I have a fear that the violence will get worse. The media and the candidates fan the flames and act surprised when people follow their lead.

Who's fault is the violence? Both sides IMO. Going to a Trump rally with the sole purpose of disrupting it isn't a wise decision. Anybody that does that at any function for anything will be thrown out. Protesting peacefully outside is a different thing. The guy throwing the sucker punch should have been and was arrested.

Trump saying Sanders sent the protestors was just yet another episode of Trump shooting off his mouth without any proof IMO.

carey

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:Who's fault is the violence? Both sides IMO. Going to a Trump rally with the sole purpose of disrupting it isn't a wise decision. Anybody that does that at any function for anything will be thrown out. Protesting peacefully outside is a different thing. The guy throwing the sucker punch should have been and was arrested.
You do know people are being thrown out for simply standing there quietly, right? You basically can't go if you're a minority.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

OE32

Post by OE32 »

carey wrote:
Nodack wrote:Who's fault is the violence? Both sides IMO. Going to a Trump rally with the sole purpose of disrupting it isn't a wise decision. Anybody that does that at any function for anything will be thrown out. Protesting peacefully outside is a different thing. The guy throwing the sucker punch should have been and was arrested.
You do know people are being thrown out for simply standing there quietly, right? You basically can't go if you're a minority.
The videos make it pretty clear that Trump's nomination is basically a redneck revolt. It's pretty scary, IMO. How do you talk about policy with people who evidently don't care at all about it? All these people want is power - specifically, the power to condemn. If they ever got it, I don't know what limits there are to how far they would go to keep it.

I thought the President nailed it in the description highlighted here: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... a_20160314

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

carey wrote:
Nodack isn't comfortable without sitting on a fence.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I always think there are two sides to every coin. There are no all good guys and all bad guys. I call it like I see it and try to remain neutral if possible. Since I am an anti Republican it's hard to say I am neutral but, I can still try to see everybody's point of view.

I haven't heard that but, I wouldn't be surprised at all considering it was a Trump rally. I did see some videos and there were certainly groups of people inside Trumps rally trying to disrupt the proceedings and anybody that does that should and will be removed from any event.

On a lighter note

The videos make it pretty clear that Trump's nomination is basically a redneck revolt.
I think the rednecks are clearly on Trumps side. Trump bashing all minorities appeals to them. I think he has a lot of support from other groups too, even some Democrats have gone to him. I think Trump is appealing to those fed up with Government too. I think they have been worked into a frenzy by right wing media trying to make them hate the government? I don't think the Republican Party realized that all their politicians are also considered part of that government and that hate got directed at them too. Oops!

Some Republicans/Trump followers keep using the word RHINO. These guys hate government and want it dismantled as much as possible. These guys hate any Republican that was willing to work with Democrats on anything. They wanted the government shut down. They want Republicans to vote no on everything and obstruct everything. They are really upset that their guys didn't repeal Obamacare like they promised. There was no way they could repeal it but, their followers don't aren't capable of reason.

Some Trump followers like him for different reasons. They are tired of the gridlock and nothing getting done. They have lost all faith in the establishment and government. They want an outsider that isn't a politician and Trump the salesman has convinced them that he will make America great. They are all in and are willing to ignore Trumps crazy talk if it means changing things.

I think Bernie Sanders has tapped into the same thing. People have seen the government turn into war between two party's and destroying the other party seems to be the goal of the two party's. The goal is supposed to be to govern America the best to help America as a whole prosper. We have gotten away from that. Bernie talks about what is wrong with America and talks about what he intends to to to make it right to help average Americans. He comes across as believable. Something no other candidate IMO does. Every other candidate just seems to say what they think people want to hear just to get their vote.

It is looking like a Trump Clinton race now unless the Republicans do what they are threatening to do and bypass Trumps popular votes and just nominate somebody else instead. That would be the nail in the coffin of the GOP IMO and would cause riots.

IMO I see no way Hillary can lose. The Republican Party is at war with itself.

Indy

Post by Indy »

IMO I see no way Hillary can lose. The Republican Party is at war with itself.
Hillary is a very distasteful candidate to a lot of people, including moderates. I can actually see Trump beating her. But she would kill Cruz. I can see Kasich beating her too. But I think Sanders would beat Trump head to head. A Kasich vs Sanders ticket is what I would hope for the most. I think it is actually a contest between (some what) respectable candidates.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do any of you think that Bernie still has a chance? The media is mostly playing it up as though he has no shot and that Hillary is a foregone conclusion.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Mori Chu wrote:Do any of you think that Bernie still has a chance? The media is mostly playing it up as though he has no shot and that Hillary is a foregone conclusion.
I think those losses in Ohio and Illinois were the end. He's down 40 in New York. He's toast.

For the record, I am a Bernie supporter. Donated, put his sign in my window. Oh well. I'll vote for Hillary because it's the responsible thing to do, but I don't like her. The dirt on her isn't just Republicans throwing shit at a wall, as it has been with Obama. Obama's 10x the candidate she is. Bernie's no Obama, but he's a damn sight better than Hillary. But President Trump?

For me, what really matters is 2020, when the Democrats NEED to take back the House to undo the Republican gerry-fest of 2010. What would be even better is if the Supreme Court decided to take its "one person one vote" approach to the drawing of districts. IMO, gerrymandering is unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court has thus far interpreted the matter to be political in nature, and therefore within the ambit of Congressional discretion. I disagree with that reasoning. I'm hopeful the court will come around to my perspective in time.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

OE32 wrote:

For me, what really matters is 2020, when the Democrats NEED to take back the House to undo the Republican gerry-fest of 2010.
Why wait four years? Their terms are all up this year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cap

Post by Cap »

OE32 wrote: For me, what really matters is 2020, when the Democrats NEED to take back the House to undo the Republican gerry-fest of 2010.
That's not how it works. Congressional Districts are drawn up by the states, not Congress.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:
OE32 wrote: For me, what really matters is 2020, when the Democrats NEED to take back the House to undo the Republican gerry-fest of 2010.
That's not how it works. Congressional Districts are drawn up by the states, not Congress.
Thanks for teaching :) Won't make that mistake again.

Still think SCOTUS should rule on it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gerrymandering is wrong. It should be abolished altogether.

And Corporations aren't people. Corporations donating large sums of money to candidates anonymously is wrong. The Supreme Court got that one WAY wrong. It makes people like me feel like the Supreme Court is on the take too.

People do not trust politicians or the government because of things like this.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:Gerrymandering is wrong. It should be abolished altogether.

And Corporations aren't people. Corporations donating large sums of money to candidates anonymously is wrong. The Supreme Court got that one WAY wrong. It makes people like me feel like the Supreme Court is on the take too.

People do not trust politicians or the government because of things like this.
Of course they are. They all have 'causes' they want donations to fund.