2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:Last year Duke was without Tatum, Bolden, and Giles, with injuries, from their game with Elon and were down at halftime. Elon is a pretty good team that returned almost their entire roster.
This year, Bolden was out because of Strep throat. Also, Carter got in foul trouble quickly, but Duke was up by 20 by halftime.
Outside of 5 ft, Bagley shoots worse than Jackson so far. He also seems to be entirely left hand dominate when driving to the basket. Elon's free throw defense was amazing, as I know Duke started off 1-8 from the line.
:lol:

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
In2ition wrote:Last year Duke was without Tatum, Bolden, and Giles, with injuries, from their game with Elon and were down at halftime. Elon is a pretty good team that returned almost their entire roster.
This year, Bolden was out because of Strep throat. Also, Carter got in foul trouble quickly, but Duke was up by 20 by halftime.
Outside of 5 ft, Bagley shoots worse than Jackson so far. He also seems to be entirely left hand dominate when driving to the basket. Elon's free throw defense was amazing, as I know Duke started off 1-8 from the line.
:lol:
[youtube][/youtube]

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/930111336289390592

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Big game tonight and a chance to see some possible future Suns. It's #1 Duke vs. #2 Michigan State. Will feature: Marvin Bagley III, Grayson Allen, Gary Trent Jr., Trevon Duval, Wendell Carter, Jaren Jackson Jr., and Miles Bridges. Along with others.

Should be a good game. This is the first test for either program this year. Both have hammered their lesser opponents so far. Jackson and Bridges had double doubles in their first game. In an exhibition, Jackson had 8 blocks, but it was just an exhibition.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Kentucky & Kansas after that too.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Kentucky & Kansas after that too.
Yes, and another set of possible candidates. Kevin Knox, Nik Richards, PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt(Is still out though), Udoka Azubuike, Billy Preston and others.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know a few people here aren't keen on Duval, but he was hurt during the all-star games last year when many opinions were formed of him. He is easily my favorite so far of the PGs. So far he's handed out 20 assists with only 1 turnover. I hope he falls to the Suns second pick. He's a little further along in skills than Russell Westbrook at the same age.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm intrigued by Jaren Jackson if we drop out of the top 5.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:I'm intrigued by Jaren Jackson if we drop out of the top 5.
It would be kinda fun to have Josh Jackson and Jaren Jackson covered by Jody Jackson. What's Jim doing these days?

Split T

Post by Split T »

We can also draft Justin Jackson with our 2nd pick

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

This is how drafts used to be. Yes. Everyone wanted a top pick. But there was a lot of talent available and teams in the middle and even toward the end of the first round had realistic expectations of getting a good player and even possibly hitting on a star player.

There was always the hope of getting a Ced Ceballos, Jeff Hornacek, or Michael Finley.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'd be interested in Shake Milton, although I don't know how how fits with the roster as composed now. He's worth a look on the great name alone.

Regardless of who we draft, though, we HAVE to package for a star this season. We cannot take this roster + 3 first rounders. I suppose we could draft a PG, a Center, and just let James and Len walk. Then we've got to draft and stash 4 international players. I don't want to see the front office make the same mistake of standing pat on redundant players until one demands a trade.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:I'd be interested in Shake Milton, although I don't know how how fits with the roster as composed now. He's worth a look on the great name alone.

Regardless of who we draft, though, we HAVE to package for a star this season. We cannot take this roster + 3 first rounders. I suppose we could draft a PG, a Center, and just let James and Len walk. Then we've got to draft and stash 4 international players. I don't want to see the front office make the same mistake of standing pat on redundant players until one demands a trade.
Absolutely agree. If we don’t package assets this offseason and begin to compose a TEAM it’s time for McD to get the fuck out. This doesn’t need to be the year we get a superstar, but it needs to be the year that we begin to show that we have a vision and complementary players , not just a collection of individuals

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here's my list of potential trade targets that we could potentially put a package together for. Either at the trade deadline or in the off-season. Some are very unlikely to be shopped, but you never know.

Anthony Davis - I think it's highly unlikely this year.
Cousins - Could get shopped at trade deadline if NO is struggling. They look decent right now and he's playing well with AD. I think they play it out.

Lillard or McCollum - If Portland realizes they top out as a 6-8 seed and their star back court players start wanting the ball more, both players and management could be motivated to make a move.

Wall or Beal - Same as above, although playing in the East gives the wizards a higher ceiling and makes them pretty unlikely to move either.

Griffin - I think he's in LA for the long haul.

Wiggins - Minny might realize he's not that good and want to get out from his massive contract before the rest of the league finds out.

Jabari - Bucks can't afford max dollars for a #2 that can't stay healthy. Would be a sign and trade.

Whiteside - Miami tires of him, decides they need to tank and want their picks back.

Drummond - Probably playing too good now for Detroit to want to shop him anymore.

Love - LeBron bolts, Cavs need to rebuild.

Kemba - Hornets stagnate as a 6-8 seed.

Fultz - 76ers get tired of waiting for him. I know this has almost zero chance.

Conley and Gasol - I think these guys are probably in Memphis till they retire, but maybe if there grizzlies fall apart.

Who else is out there in the horizon? Would you give up our pick next year for any of these guys?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would take Anthony Davis in a heartbeat and I would trade every asset we have not named Booker for him. It would only happen if for whatever reason Davis wanted out.

Our 1st this year, Miami’s 1st + one of Jackson/Warren/Chriss. I wouldn’t hesitate.

carey

Post by carey »

If Davis asks out he's going to a big market team with a history of winning. He's not going to another mid-market team that hasn't been relevant in 7 or 8 years. Even with Booker on-board. :(
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:If Davis asks out he's going to a big market team with a history of winning. He's not going to another mid-market team that hasn't been relevant in 7 or 8 years. Even with Booker on-board. :(
You're probably right that AD would want to be traded to a big market team but if we have the best deal, AD doesn't control where he goes. Davis and Booker together would be phenomenal. Exactly what each other would need. Really a perfect fit. I just don't see AD demanding a trade in the next year and I think our asset pool is at it's max right now.

We've got all our own picks, including a 2018 one that looks very valuable, 3 extra picks, and Jackson/Chriss/Bender on rookie deals with some level of upside and potential still.

Love and Jabari feel like the most realistic ones. I think love would be a mistake, but Jabari is interesting. Milwaukee might go for chriss/Miami pick and their own pick back. Gives them 3 shots at adding young/cheap talent next to Antetekounmpo.

We'd go Booker/Jackson/Jabari and have our top pick to add a big (Ayton, Bamba, Bagley) or a play maker(Doncic). Plus we'd still have Warren, ulis, Bender, and Williams. I'd be happy if we went into 2018-19 with that roster.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like Jabari, but that's a lot of faith for a guy with MAJOR knee issues. Has he signed his contract extension yet?

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:I like Jabari, but that's a lot of faith for a guy with MAJOR knee issues. Has he signed his contract extension yet?
Nope, he'll be restricted this off season. It is a risk, but if there's not another trade out there, I think it's a risk worth taking. We can't just keep drafting people. We've got 6 picks next year and Len is our only free agent.

Booker, Warren, Jackson, Chriss, Bender, Ulis, Williams, Chandler, Daniels, Dudley, Reed, Jones Jr, and Knight are all under contract next year.

We really need to package some players/picks for 1 player or pick.

A good solid 4 quarters for a dollar trade would be great right now. Heck, I'd do 5 quarters for a dollar.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:I like Jabari, but that's a lot of faith for a guy with MAJOR knee issues. Has he signed his contract extension yet?
Nope, he'll be restricted this off season. It is a risk, but if there's not another trade out there, I think it's a risk worth taking. We can't just keep drafting people. We've got 6 picks next year and Len is our only free agent.

Booker, Warren, Jackson, Chriss, Bender, Ulis, Williams, Chandler, Daniels, Dudley, Reed, Jones Jr, and Knight are all under contract next year.

We really need to package some players/picks for 1 player or pick.

A good solid 4 quarters for a dollar trade would be great right now. Heck, I'd do 5 quarters for a dollar.
I'm with you and I agree. I just think Jabari is quite a risk. I would offer him a contract and see if it's matched, but ideally would trade 6-7 quarters for a dollar this summer.

Also, I'm in a optimistic view of Bender, Chriss, and Warren right now, so I don't know if getting Jabari by giving up these guys is the best play at the moment. Give me a week and I may say trade all the bums.