Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Post by In2ition »

What did you guys think of the movie?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Post by Indy »

I really enjoyed it. Much better than TFA, which seemed to be a rehash of the first 3 movies. I really enjoyed the humor too. I think Rian Johnson is a pretty darn good film maker.

I have read a TON of people saying how much they hated it, though. They hated Porgs. They hated Rose. They hated that Finn had nothing to do (which is fair). They hated that good guys weren't always good guys and bad guys weren't always bad guys. To me, that makes good drama.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:What did you guys think of the movie?
That came out?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
That came out?
Yeah, the question was directed at those who happened to see the movie.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Superbone wrote:
That came out?
Yeah, the question was directed at those who happened to see the movie.
Ah, it also alerted many to this little known gem. ;)

Yes, of course I saw it. I really enjoyed it but I am not a Star Wars nerd. I'm more of a Star Trek kind of guy. Anyways, I do enjoy the originals (not so much the prequels) and liked TFA but this was even better.
Spoiler: show/hide
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

The whole not my luke stuff is crazy. Think of everything he went through in his life. It is silly to think of him as a white hat cowboy from 50s TV.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:The whole not my luke stuff is crazy. Think of everything he went through in his life. It is silly to think of him as a white hat cowboy from 50s TV.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:The whole not my luke stuff is crazy. Think of everything he went through in his life. It is silly to think of him as a white hat cowboy from 50s TV.
you haven't seen this character in 35 years. People in their 60s do not behave the same way as people in their 20s. Especially after seeing children murdered in the fight between two sides of the same issue.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why are we using spoiler tags for a move that was released weeks ago? If you don't want to see spoilers, why would you open a thread about the movie?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
you haven't seen this character in 35 years. People in their 60s do not behave the same way as people in their 20s. Especially after seeing children murdered in the fight between two sides of the same issue.
He was the most optimistic character 35 years ago and believed he could turn his father who was evil to the core, but he couldn't possibly reach his nephew who hadn't fully turned and was even in the last movie struggling? I call f'n bs. You think you could turn from being a guy who would do anything to help his friends to shutting himself off like a pussy pos?

carey

Post by carey »

Fucking up and becoming a hermit is kind of what Jedis do. See Yoda & Obi Wan for reference. It isn't exactly a stretch.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:f*** up and becoming a hermit is kind of what Jedis do. See Yoda & Obi Wan for reference. It isn't exactly a stretch.
Hermit no, but refusing to help and join the fight is out of character. Along with becoming a psychotic killer, even momentarily, is totally out of character. Mark Hamill himself disagreed vehemently with Rian Johnson on the direction he took him and tried in vain to change his mind.

Indy

Post by Indy »

When did he turn into a psychotic killer? He didn't kill anyone. He momentarily saw the dark side growing in a pupil (which caused flashbacks to all of his daddy issues), and it didn't last more than a couple seconds.

And to Carey's point, how many old jedis do you see actively helping the rebel forces before this? They intentionally become hard to find and stay out of it. Ben only came back as a last resort, and new he would die. Yoda didn't bother to come help at all.

And maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Mark say that he wished his character did anything different, except survive to get paid for another movie. And even if he did, he is an actor that plays roles. He isn't Luke Skywalker.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:When did he turn into a psychotic killer? He didn't kill anyone. He momentarily saw the dark side growing in a pupil (which caused flashbacks to all of his daddy issues), and it didn't last more than a couple seconds.

And to Carey's point, how many old jedis do you see actively helping the rebel forces before this? They intentionally become hard to find and stay out of it. Ben only came back as a last resort, and new he would die. Yoda didn't bother to come help at all.

And maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Mark say that he wished his character did anything different, except survive to get paid for another movie. And even if he did, he is an actor that plays roles. He isn't Luke Skywalker.
Have you ever brought a knife over your head and momentarily thought about killing a very young relative of yours?

The Jedi's were in hiding as they were being hunted down by the Empire. Obi Wan isolated himself on Tattoine for one to stay off the radar, but also to keep an eye on Luke. When he was enlisted by Princess Leah, he jumped at it and tried to convince Luke, who was only then convinced when his Aunt and Uncle were murdered. Yoda agreed to train Luke and it didn't take a ton of convincing, so he helped. Luke finally said he would give 3 lessons to Rey, but I can't remember more than 1, and he wasn't 800 yrs old.

Yeah, you missed it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

1) You don't know that Luke brought a lightsaber over Ben's head. You saw two versions of a single narrative, and neither are likely the full truth.
2) So Luke wasn't interested in helping until the only family he knew was murdered and he had no place to go anyway? But you are bothered by him not wanting to get involved now?
3) Can you link to anything that shows Mark saying he didn't believe in the script and Luke's choices?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mark originally said he had issues with how they portrayed Luke, but he has since changed that stance

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:1) You don't know that Luke brought a lightsaber over Ben's head. You saw two versions of a single narrative, and neither are likely the full truth.
2) So Luke wasn't interested in helping until the only family he knew was murdered and he had no place to go anyway? But you are bothered by him not wanting to get involved now?
3) Can you link to anything that shows Mark saying he didn't believe in the script and Luke's choices?
1) Seemed like both versions showed him igniting it, and even Luke said that it was a moment of where he thought about it. This doesn't seem arguable to me.
2) I wouldn't say that he wasn't interested in helping, he said he was, but he made a promise to his Uncle to come back for another season. The Rebellion wasn't exactly a tangible thing to him at the time, and he certainly wasn't invested in Leah's or the Rebel's safety.
3) http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-ri ... agreement/

Indy

Post by Indy »

Saying you have issues with a script (before seeing it edited and on the screen) doesn't equal vehement disagreements and trying in vain to change someone's mind.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:1) You don't know that Luke brought a lightsaber over Ben's head. You saw two versions of a single narrative, and neither are likely the full truth.
1) Seemed like both versions showed him igniting it, and even Luke said that it was a moment of where he thought about it. This doesn't seem arguable to me.
2) I wouldn't say that he wasn't interested in helping, he said he was, but he made a promise to his Uncle to come back for another season. The Rebellion wasn't exactly a tangible thing to him at the time, and he certainly wasn't invested in Leah's or the Rebel's safety.
3) http://www.slashfilm.com/mark-hamill-ri ... agreement/
Thanks for the link. I still don't think that is nearly as strong as you stated it above. Also (and this is just arguing for the sake of it for both of us now), turning on your light saber is different than bringing a "knife up over your head."

Luke wanted to go join the imperial academy and be a storm trooper pilot. He wasn't someone going out of his way to save others until he no longer had a home.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:Saying you have issues with a script (before seeing it edited and on the screen) doesn't equal vehement disagreements and trying in vain to change someone's mind.
Ok, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I respect your opinion and I'm glad you liked it.