Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Warriors (43-13), Mon 2/12/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JustWinBaby

Re: Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Warriors (43-13), Mon 2/12/18

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:They are just so non-competitive that they can't justify bringing Triano back.
Triano did much better calling time outs this time. The Warriors are just that much better.
Yep -

Triano will be the fall guy, for all the poor player decisions our GM has made.

How many more coaches do any of you guys think that McDonough should be allowed to hire?

What free agent do you really think will prefer to join this mess versus any other team in the league with the same money available.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Triano's not the heart of the problem, sure, but Sarver isn't going anywhere.

That said, when you have the worst defense in the league and and possibly the worst offense, the coach is going to be held accountable.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Picking nits, but I’m not sure why Triano went with a traditional lineup (Chandler or Len) until garbage-time last night. It would have been a good game to go with Bender at center. Our bigs were totally exposed.

Oh, and Troy Daniels is just hopeless on defense.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Bobster wrote:Triano's not the heart of the problem, sure, but Sarver isn't going anywhere.

That said, when you have the worst defense in the league and and possibly the worst offense, the coach is going to be held accountable.
For all of his Xs-and-Os deficiencies, Watson at least had the team playing hard during the stretch run last year. This group seems to have given up.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not that disappointed about a huge blowout loss to the Warriors. We are a bad team and are without our best player, and the Warriors are a mini dynasty, a super-team stacked with arguably 3-4 of the top 15 players in the whole league. They *should* completely destroy us in a head-to-head matchup on their home floor.

I'm happy to see that Payton continues to play so well. What a great pickup he was. For all the crap people heap on McDo's GMing, he has made some really savvy moves like this one. He should get credit for seeing an undervalued asset in Orlando and acquiring it essentially for free. Payton might be our PG of the future.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I really don't get why so many are upset at this loss. Yeah, it was a huge blowout but our team is at half mast playing one of the best NBA teams of all time. To me, this game was much better than the San Antonio blowout. At least the team executed better until garbage time.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

When they lose six straight by an average of 26 points, it's hard to ignore no matter who they're playing.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I am not that disappointed about a huge blowout loss to the Warriors. We are a bad team and are without our best player, and the Warriors are a mini dynasty, a super-team stacked with arguably 3-4 of the top 15 players in the whole league. They *should* completely destroy us in a head-to-head matchup on their home floor.

I'm happy to see that Payton continues to play so well. What a great pickup he was. For all the crap people heap on McDo's GMing, he has made some really savvy moves like this one. He should get credit for seeing an undervalued asset in Orlando and acquiring it essentially for free. Payton might be our PG of the future.
He doesn't get credit for this until we know whether Elf's going to be back next season, and under what contract. If we let him go, we didn't get much, and if we overpay, we got a net negative.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We are getting murdered when Gray and Reed share the court. Our core players compete a lot better outside of that Spurs game. We just don't have 8 NBA caliber players right now.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008 wrote:On NBA Tv feed Smitty and Mitchell were just discussing the fact that Kerr is letting the players do the coaching/talking tonight during timeouts and so on and how should the Suns players feel/react if they find out
dozed off at halftime and woke up to 99 - 71 close to the end of the 3rd smh. another 40pt loss is just brutal man and going back through my timeline Bleacher Report and Sportsnation tweeted about Kerr letting the players coach and social media was having a field day clowning us :? . Mr. Social Media Dudley like he was going back on forth with some giving his opinions on it but oh well #embarrassing
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I really don't get why so many are upset at this loss. Yeah, it was a huge blowout but our team is at half mast playing one of the best NBA teams of all time. To me, this game was much better than the San Antonio blowout. At least the team executed better until garbage time.
Some of this I agree with, but GSW have only won 6 games all year by +25. We seem to lose by that much 4-5 times a month. It doesn't matter how good the other team is, even with the poor parity in the NBA, there is no excuse to lose by 40 points multiple times a year. You can blame it on the players, or the coach, or a mix of all of it. But in the end, leadership over the past 10 years has been awful. And we all know where that starts and stops.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Does anyone have Sarver's email address? We should all reach out to him...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I really don't get why so many are upset at this loss. Yeah, it was a huge blowout but our team is at half mast playing one of the best NBA teams of all time. To me, this game was much better than the San Antonio blowout. At least the team executed better until garbage time.
Some of this I agree with, but GSW have only won 6 games all year by +25. We seem to lose by that much 4-5 times a month. It doesn't matter how good the other team is, even with the poor parity in the NBA, there is no excuse to lose by 40 points multiple times a year. You can blame it on the players, or the coach, or a mix of all of it. But in the end, leadership over the past 10 years has been awful. And we all know where that starts and stops.
Well, there is this stat. Suns lost by 40+ 4 times in their 49 year previous history and they've lost an additional 4 40+ games this year alone.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Well, there is this stat. Suns lost by 40+ 4 times in their 49 year previous history and they've lost an additional 4 40+ games this year alone.
Yeah. And it isn't because we are having a tough year and played great teams. It is because our roster hasn't been consistently well-constructed, well-coached, or well-led this decade.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:Does anyone have Sarver's email address? We should all reach out to him...
https://twitter.com/robertsarver?lang=en
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:Does anyone have Sarver's email address? We should all reach out to him...
FAKE NEWS

That account has never tweeted, and looks to be created by someone in the org to have a presence on twitter for him. I doubt he will see anything we send him there.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
FAKE NEWS

That account has never tweeted, and looks to be created by someone in the org to have a presence on twitter for him. I doubt he will see anything we send him there.
It's only been active since 2011, give it time. Trust the process!

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Wormwood wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think not even Elfrid Payton can save us in this game. It could get very, very ugly.
Barring an unexpected Norovirus outbreak in the GS locker room, I think this one's out of reach.
Given how bad this was, I think we still might have lost even if the entire GS team spent the game barfing and defecating uncontrollably every few minutes.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Our roster is trash, our overall effort is trash, our offense is trash, our defense is trash. We had a player who was hot the first quarter else this would have been a historical point differential blow out loss. Seriously this would have went in the history books if not for Elfrid Payton's monster first half. Triano's speech at the beginning of his tenure was, "We're going to teach these guys how to compete." So far they have not been able to to even that. This about more than losing by 40 to a good team.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I also don't get how some of the same people eagerly tracking and rooting for us to have the league's #1 worst record, posting "tank-a-thon" tweets and images, openly drooling over the hope of getting the #1 pick, etc., are also upset when we lose by 40 to the champs. You can't really have the one without making it likely that you'll have the other. If your team is the worst in the league, you aren't going to hold prime GSW tight and then get a narrow loss. You're going to get blown out. Or, put another way, if you have enough talent on your team to hold the champs and Spurs close for 48 minutes, you're going to get way more than 18 wins by the All-Star break.