Everything Soccer

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
TOO

Re: Everything Soccer

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I agree that MLS can be hard to watch at times. Lucky for me that the Timbers are a pretty entertaining squad by any standard.

On the other hand, its not like all european leagues are always a lot better. I'd much rather watch a random MLS game over something like West Brom vs. Norwich.
Fair point.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/486999045488250880

I, for one, fell asleep.

I'm so happy the Dutch are out. I really don't like Robben, Robin or their Sloth-like manager.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

now we know why cellizen was benched for krul.

SDC

Post by SDC »

dont you think the USA is better off with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merged? so that winning the gold cup becomes more meaningful.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:dont you think the USA is better off with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merged? so that winning the gold cup becomes more meaningful.
I don't know. I'm pretty torn on this idea.

On one hand, it could potentially help us develop players to the next level by constantly playing quality opponents, as opposed to the handful of times we play Mexico or Costa Rica every year. On the other hand, it could make qualifying for the major tournaments a lot harder.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Suarez to Barcelona for €81M.

Mandzukic to Atletico Madrid for €22M.

Kroos to Real Madrid for €25M.

Alexis sanchez to Arsenal for €40M.

Ander Herrera to Mancester United for €36M.

I seems the strong gets stronger.

Arsenal fans, how do you feel about sanchez for €40M?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Liverpool have been a big loser in this window so far, sell Suarez and be rebuffed by Sanchez :D

I think I speak for all Arsenal fans when I say Sanchez is a massive purchase, so much excitement going around right now. Even the players themselves are excited. Hopefully he and Ozil last year are the steps towards a return to dominance.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Hopefully he and Ozil last year are the steps towards a return to dominance.
So you're thinking third place this year?

Cheap shot, I'm sorry. But I'm really not. It's just too much fun to poke Gooners.

SDC

Post by SDC »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Liverpool have been a big loser in this window so far, sell Suarez and be rebuffed by Sanchez :D
his knees are broken. he's the brandon roy of the soccer world.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SDC wrote:dont you think the USA is better off with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merged? so that winning the gold cup becomes more meaningful.
I don't know. I'm pretty torn on this idea.

On one hand, it could potentially help us develop players to the next level by constantly playing quality opponents, as opposed to the handful of times we play Mexico or Costa Rica every year. On the other hand, it could make qualifying for the major tournaments a lot harder.
a lot harder for sure. OTOH, your team has a chance at greatness... a chance at winning something relevant every 2 yrs instead of the usual four (World Cup years). this will only help US soccer. you dont need to win the world cup to have a "soccer awakening" in the USA, you need to only win the America Gold Cup by beating argentina, brazil, chile, colombia, uruguay, costa rica, or mexico on the way to the title.
Last edited by SDC on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

besides in FIBA Americas-- north, central and south america all play together in a single tournament to qualify for olympics or FIBA world cup.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Hopefully he and Ozil last year are the steps towards a return to dominance.
So you're thinking third place this year?

Cheap shot, I'm sorry. But I'm really not. It's just too much fun to poke Gooners.
Ha.. If they can add a solid defensive MF and another striker, then I dont see why they couldn't challenge for the league, health permitting. They've upgraded in the physio dept big time so I like their chances. Now that Emirates stadium is paid off, and the new Puma deal, there is a lot of money to spend. I fully expect them to return to their rightful spot among the elites. ;)

Or maybe I'm just kidding myself while recovering from my Alexis hangover.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kind of excited to see Yedlin and Dempsey return vs the Timbers on nat'l tv tomorrow.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Guess Where Mexico’s World Cup Fans Came From?

https://www.vdare.com/articles/memo-fro ... -came-from
The Mainstream Media has trumpeted the fact that so many Americans bought tickets to the World Cup and thus is becoming a “soccer nation:’
The U.S. bought more tickets for the World Cup than any country besides the host, with FIFA estimating there are 200,000 Americans here in Brazil. [Sunday is another watershed moment for U.S. Soccer, By Nancy Armour, USA TODAY, June 21, 2014]
But which team were these “Americans” rooting for?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ghana was germany's toughest opponent.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Man U and Adidas reach a 10yr $1.28 billion sports licensing deal, largest in sports history. So Man U will be back among the elites soon. :cry:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SDC wrote:Ghana was germany's toughest opponent.
One could argue that Ghana was the most impressive team to not make it out of the group stage. Clearly they were a divided group for various reasons ($$$), but that frequently seems to be the case with the African teams.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Kind of excited to see Yedlin and Dempsey return vs the Timbers on nat'l tv tomorrow.
That was a shit show as a Timbers supporter.

And I think everyone needs to calm down all this Yedlin hyperbole. He's benefitting from having low expectations going into the WC more than anything else. I'm happy for him, and excited about his future, but wow, talking heads were going on and on like he lit the world on fire in Brazil.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Yeah, the Yedlin support is a bit excessive, he played what 150 total minutes in the WC?
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

All-Star: Caleb Porter reveals 23-man roster for 2014 AT&T MLS All-Star Game in Portland

2014 MLS All-Star Roster

*=Fan XI; ^=Commissioner's Pick

Goalkeepers (2): Nick Rimando* (Real Salt Lake), Bill Hamid (D.C. United)

Defenders (6): Matt Besler* (Sporting Kansas City), Aurélien Collin (Sporting Kansas City), Omar Gonzalez* (LA Galaxy), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin* (Seattle Sounders FC)

Midfielders (8): Osvaldo Alonso (Seattle Sounders FC), Kyle Beckerman* (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley* (Toronto FC), Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey* (Seattle Sounders FC), Will Johnson (Portland Timbers), Diego Valeri^ (Portland Timbers), Graham Zusi* (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards (7): Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC), Landon Donovan* (LA Galaxy), Thierry Henry* (New York Red Bulls), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Obafemi Martins* (Seattle Sounders FC), Erick Torres^ (Chivas USA), Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
I have a couple thoughts on this roster, the first being that Dom Dwyer was shafted. He's had a great season, and it's a shame he won't have a chance to play in the game against Bayern. Plus, I bought him on the cheap in my FIFA14 career and he's been great as a third striker. :lol:

The second is that Will Johnson has no right being on this squad. He's had a very average, a lot of Timbers supporters would say bad, season so far. His brand of "leadership" as captain of the team is abrasive and not complementary to his sub-par performance this season. Caleb Porter has received a fair bit of heat for his selection, and I hope it lights a fire under Johnson to improve his play, but I'm not holding my breath. I think Porter leaving him off the squad would've been a more effective motivation strategy, but I think there's some wheel-greasing going on behind the scenes with the game being played in Portland as it relates to his selection.