Around the League: Week 22 3/12-3/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 22 3/12-3/18

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: San Antonio @ Houston 8:00 PM EST ESPN, Miami @ Portland 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Tuesday: Minnesota @ Washington 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Denver @ L.A. Lakers 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Washington @ Boston 8:00 PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: L.A. Clippers @ Houston 8:00 PM EST NBATv
Friday: L.A. Clippers @ OKC 8:00 PM EST NBATv, Miami @ L.A. Lakers 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Saturday: Minnesota @ San Antonio 8:30 PM EST NBATv
Sunday: Houston @ Minnesota 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ L.A. Clippers 10:30 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

D.A. columns for the week. Other stories.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 22 3/12-3/18

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the links, carey! I enjoy reading the mailbag each week.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What's the longest losing streak of all time? If Memphis loses out, they'll hit 33 straight losses. They'll have gone winless in February, March, and April.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:What's the longest losing streak of all time? If Memphis loses out, they'll hit 33 straight losses. They'll have gone winless in February, March, and April.
Memphis is making a mockery of the league. Why am I deathly afraid of this coming lottery?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:What's the longest losing streak of all time? If Memphis loses out, they'll hit 33 straight losses. They'll have gone winless in February, March, and April.
Memphis is making a mockery of the league. Why am I deathly afraid of this coming lottery?
Don't hate the player...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
I'm not afraid whatsoever. I'm tired of being afraid. I'm embracing whatever happens. When you let go is when it comes to you. Rarely does the top team get the top pick. It's our turn. Phoenix has never had the #1 pick. This is OUR YEAR!
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I'm not afraid whatsoever. I'm tired of being afraid. I'm embracing whatever happens. When you let go is when it comes to you. Rarely does the top team get the top pick. It's our turn. Phoenix has never had the #1 pick. This is OUR YEAR!
Even if we do end up at #4 or #5, I don’t think we’re coming away with another Bender or Len. There are some guys to get excited about no matter where we land in the top 5.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Even if we do end up at #4 or #5, I don’t think we’re coming away with another Bender or Len. There are some guys to get excited about no matter where we land in the top 5.
Agreed. Might as well relax and hope for the best and not stress.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
This is true.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

What I've learned is that I'm really not that good at determining how good college players will be in the NBA. Therefore, I should temper my opinions and wait to cast judgement. I may have Ayton and Doncic at the top of my board, but that doesn't mean they'll be the best players.

Basically, I'd be more optimistic if we land Ayton or Doncic, but I'll maintain an optimistic viewpoint on anyone we draft. It'll just be easier to be optimistic about some rather than others.

Split T

Post by Split T »

New Orleans has a 5 games in 6 nights coming up. Due to a postponed game with Indy, New Orleans goes Houston and Boston on 17th and 18th, gets the 19th off and then goes Dallas, Indy, LAL on 20-22nd. Back to back to back is so brutal.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

losing 2 could knock them out of the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Wolves won a nice game against the Wizards last night. It was a battle of teams missing their best player, but performing well in his absence. KAT somehow carried the team on 17 FGA.

The Jazz just murdered the Pistons last night. Griffin and Drummond were owned by Gobert, Favors, and Jerebko. The pistons are now in position for the 11th pick. Are they tanking now, too?

Dallas beat the Knicks to move 3 wins ahead of us. It's nice to have a little breathing room, I guess? It's also embarrassing to be worse than the Mavs, who are a genuinely bad team.

The Lakers continue to play very well with a win against Denver, knocking the Nuggets out of the 3-way tie for 8th place in the west. Will the Lakers keep IT this offseason if they don't get the 2 max guys they want? Will IT stay and play off the bench to win and live in LA?

The Clippers also won, and they are % points ahead of Utah and the Spurs for the 7th playoff spot. I would love to see them in the playoffs sans Blake.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:New Orleans has a 5 games in 6 nights coming up. Due to a postponed game with Indy, New Orleans goes Houston and Boston on 17th and 18th, gets the 19th off and then goes Dallas, Indy, LAL on 20-22nd. Back to back to back is so brutal.
Damn, that's terrible.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:New Orleans has a 5 games in 6 nights coming up. Due to a postponed game with Indy, New Orleans goes Houston and Boston on 17th and 18th, gets the 19th off and then goes Dallas, Indy, LAL on 20-22nd. Back to back to back is so brutal.
Damn, that's terrible.
I was doing some research on the original Denver Nuggets (1949-50) a while back because they started the season 0-15. Among that streak was six games on six consecutive nights in six different cities. Granted, they were all along the East Coast, but they also traveled by train back then.

New Orleans' 5 games in 6 nights is pretty unusual nowadays, and includes a couple of fairly long overnight trips (Houston to Boston and Indianapolis to Los Angeles). I'd guess maybe they win maybe 2 of the 5.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Damn, that's terrible.
I was doing some research on the original Denver Nuggets (1949-50) a while back because they started the season 0-15. Among that streak was six games on six consecutive nights in six different cities. Granted, they were all along the East Coast, but they also traveled by train back then.

New Orleans' 5 games in 6 nights is pretty unusual nowadays, and includes a couple of fairly long overnight trips (Houston to Boston and Indianapolis to Los Angeles). I'd guess maybe they win maybe 2 of the 5.
There's a pretty good chance they beat Dallas, but I don't know if any of those other games are winnable.

Boston has been struggling (by their standards), but I still don't know if the Pels beat them on the second of b2b games on the road. Lets say NO beats Dallas. Great. Indy and the Lakers are both playing very well. We could see some crazy games from AD trying to stay competitive, or that stretch of games might sink the ship.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote: The Jazz just murdered the Pistons last night. Griffin and Drummond were owned by Gobert, Favors, and Jerebko. The pistons are now in position for the 11th pick. Are they tanking now, too?
Do they even have their own pick? I think they may have given it to LA on the Griffin trade

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote: The Jazz just murdered the Pistons last night. Griffin and Drummond were owned by Gobert, Favors, and Jerebko. The pistons are now in position for the 11th pick. Are they tanking now, too?
Do they even have their own pick? I think they may have given it to LA on the Griffin trade
It is protected for the top 4. And they have a very remote chance of ending up 1-3 via the lottery.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Can Dwight Howard still help a team contend?

Statistically, he is having a fine season, and over his last five games he is averaging 22 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg, and shooting 68% from the FT line.

The issues, though, with Dwight have been:

1. Doesn't run the court hard
2. Insistence on post touches that stymie his team's offense
3. Turnover prone
4. Unwilling to pick and roll
5. Unwilling/incapable of defending the pick and roll

And despite the stats, the Hornets are losing. Granted, there are a lot of problems with the Hornets and these do not begin and end with Dwight.

With his seemingly stellar play, a part of me wonders if he can still be a viable, key piece to a team trying to win it all.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:Can Dwight Howard still help a team contend?

Statistically, he is having a fine season, and over his last five games he is averaging 22 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.8 bpg, and shooting 68% from the FT line.

The issues, though, with Dwight have been:

1. Doesn't run the court hard
2. Insistence on post touches that stymie his team's offense
3. Turnover prone
4. Unwilling to pick and roll
5. Unwilling/incapable of defending the pick and roll

And despite the stats, the Hornets are losing. Granted, there are a lot of problems with the Hornets and these do not begin and end with Dwight.

With his seemingly stellar play, a part of me wonders if he can still be a viable, key piece to a team trying to win it all.
I think he suffers from Penny Hardaway’ syndrome (funny that both started in Orlando): The inhabilty to evolve from Alpha to complimentary player. Grant Hill or Andre Iguodala are examples of players that pulled off a beautiful transition to role players, and you can see how the Warriors are a different team when Iguodala is underperforming, he even got a Finals MVP without being an featured player.

If Howard could take a page out of Andre’s book, he could be such viable piece. Big IF (see O’Neal, Shaquille)