Mueller/Russia investigation

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Mueller/Russia investigation

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:We haven't really had any chitchat here about this whole Nunes memo thing. I found the whole thing ridiculous and reprehensible. The GOP is trying to undermine the DOJ and FBI. This should be cause for huge concern; our administration is trying to attack the government and challenge justice and the rule of law. And now that it appears to be a Grade A nothing-burger, there seems to be no consequence for the whole charade.
That is correct. There are no consequences anymore.
It's shock and awe without the awe.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Today was not a good day on the markets.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, it was strange that Trump didn't jump to take credit. Strangely silent on that one.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

CNN was playing a montage of clips of Trump taking credit for the stock market doing well and rubbing his nose in it. What is sad is the partisanship that happens. I have grown to dislike that man so much that I am almost cheering the stock market plunging just because it makes him look bad. I have a stake in the market and should be scared or bummed. Instead I am happy and there is something wrong with that. It must be the same way Republicans felt about Obama. You just get to a point where you want them to fail. It’s really sad.

I considered CNN one of the most unbiased news sources not that long ago. Trump and CNN’s boss don’t like each other and Trump has called them fake news, starting a war between them. It’s clear CNN doesn’t like Trump in their coverage. Then again neither do I. The Republican memo thing broke and they were all over it saying the memo was a joke and really was just Trump/Republicans trying to discredit the FBI to take the sting out of the Trump/Russia investigation.

Then go to FOX News and their coverage of the exact same thing is a complete 180. Accoring to FOX the memo totally busts the FBI who clearly was being run by Obama and his deep state friends. Obama and his deep state friends at the DOJ, FBI illegally targeted Carter Page, a Trump campaign member for political reasons.

In my Universe I side with CNN. The GOP cherry picked what they wanted and left out everything else. Their time line is off too. They say the Steele dossier thing was illegal because Hillary paid for it and used Russian spies or something making her a traitor somehow. Steele has also been crucified and made into the devil. His dossier has been called politically motivated made up BS. In reality he is a very respected man in the Intelligence community.

I suppose it all depends on what Universe you live in as to what you are going to believe. In my Universe Trump is a narcissistic serial lying racist sexual predator ego maniac draft dodging traitor con man. To others he is just shy of being God and everybody else is lying. Only he is telling the truth.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't watch CNN. They have become openly partisan. They're "right" in that Trump is horrible, but that doesn't mean I want to watch sneering coverage that openly mocks Republicans and taunts the President at every opportunity. I want honest coverage that calls him on his BS while not openly cheerleading for any particular political party. This is extremely hard to find right now.

As for the stock market drop, I wrote this on Facebook:

The stock market took a big drop this week, dropping over 1500 points in one day.

Some folks are blaming the President, and/or taunting him because he previously has crowed about how high the stock market has been. I don't think the President is to blame for this. It sounds like it's more related to possible interest rate changes by the Federal Reserve.

I just wanted to say, I think it's silly that we say the economy is strong when the stock market goes up, and that the economy is weak when the stock market goes down. The stock market isn't the economy. It's just gambling for grown-ups. The market is mostly run by high-frequency trading bots and billionaires. It doesn't reflect the reality of most people or even most businesses. I just don't think it is a very important indicator of anything about the country or economy as a whole. And I don't think it is the President's doing when the stock market goes up or down.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If the president wants to take credit for the stock market then he needs to take the blame as well.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:If the president wants to take credit for the stock market then he needs to take the blame as well.
The market is still a lot higher than it was at his election or inauguration, so this isn't really a winning argument.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The stock market had been going up for 8 straight years. The economy has been steadily improving for 8 straight years. I could have been elected and have the same results.

I am just sick of having a total asshole douchbag serial liar as our leader who is trying real hard to dismantle all of our institutions and destroy their credabilty. We should have just hired Putin if we wanted that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:If the president wants to take credit for the stock market then he needs to take the blame as well.
The market is still a lot higher than it was at his election or inauguration, so this isn't really a winning argument.
After today the market is back where it was around his inauguration. Still significantly higher than the election.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. Now deputy FBI directer Andrew McCabe has been fired, literally 2 days before he would have been eligible for a retirement pension. This is a vindictive and shitty thing to do. Surely this goes in the file under "obstruction of justice."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-depu ... d=53805919

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump is pushing REAL hard to shut this investigation down. I sure hope he doesn't get away with it. He can't fire everybody in the FBI.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

IF Trump has truly done nothing wrong, he's the most guilty looking innocent man in the history of the world.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:IF Trump has truly done nothing wrong, he's the most guilty looking innocent man in the history of the world.
Him, and Dr. Richard Kimble.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lately he has been openly tweeting about Mueller. He hadn't mentioned Mueller's name in any tweets until a week ago or so, but now he is attacking the guy. It sure feels like it's getting close to something major happening. I fear a constitutional crisis. I hope that our congress critters do the right thing when the shit hits the fan.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Lately he has been openly tweeting about Mueller. He hadn't mentioned Mueller's name in any tweets until a week ago or so, but now he is attacking the guy. It sure feels like it's getting close to something major happening. I fear a constitutional crisis. I hope that our congress critters do the right thing when the shit hits the fan.
I fear that too. I wasn't alive when Watergate was happening, so maybe I am off-base, but we handled that constitutional crisis and moved on quickly. I hope we can do the same again.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Rs, especially McConnell, are saying if Trump fires Mueller they'll act. I'm not sure I believe that. The midterms in November are key. If they start impeachment proceedings, they probably lose a lot in November. If they can keep things at bay, maybe they hold on to some seats. I've never been a political activist, but if Trump fires Mueller and the Rs don't impeach I'd consider heading to DC for a protest/march.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:The Rs, especially McConnell, are saying if Trump fires Mueller they'll act. I'm not sure I believe that. The midterms in November are key. If they start impeachment proceedings, they probably lose a lot in November. If they can keep things at bay, maybe they hold on to some seats. I've never been a political activist, but if Trump fires Mueller and the Rs don't impeach I'd consider heading to DC for a protest/march.
You and me both.

I just got home from work, turned on the tv and All The Presidents Men was on. I remember seeing it when I was real young and it went right over my head. Tonight it gave me chills.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
ShelC wrote:The Rs, especially McConnell, are saying if Trump fires Mueller they'll act. I'm not sure I believe that. The midterms in November are key. If they start impeachment proceedings, they probably lose a lot in November. If they can keep things at bay, maybe they hold on to some seats. I've never been a political activist, but if Trump fires Mueller and the Rs don't impeach I'd consider heading to DC for a protest/march.
You and me both.

I just got home from work, turned on the tv and All The Presidents Men was on. I remember seeing it when I was real young and it went right over my head. Tonight it gave me chills.
It is really disturbing how much power the president has/takes. Current day doesn't seem to line up well with the thoughts of the architects of the government. Although the President is a single person, he was supposed to be easily kept in check by the other two branches, and vice versa. Right now, it is totally fucked up. (and has been for a while)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm trying to hold off judgement here, and I don't expect anyone else to do the same. I do feel like there is a lot of wishful thinking here and most have made up their mind about guilt and innocence. It's a 1984 type feel where we can do the immediate denomination.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't seen anything that could be described as "wishful" in a while. To what part are you referring?