Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

O_Gardino

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by O_Gardino »

Nodack wrote:I am a little confused. Doncic is or isn’t a PG? His comparisons make him sound like a 2.
Body of a big 3 and the passing instincts of a pure 1. Plus, he's a good ball handler.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

rhylek wrote:Matrix often defended opposite PG in the Nash days. Could Jackson do the same if Doncic can't?
Yes, but then who guards Booker's man?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
rhylek wrote:Matrix often defended opposite PG in the Nash days. Could Jackson do the same if Doncic can't?
He did? Matrix was much more known for defending guys bigger than him. We had Raja for whichever guard was better.
He did.

He would often start the game on a big, but when Amare subbed out for Boris, Boris got the big and Shawn got the PG.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shawn guarded everyone from Parker to Kobe to LeBron to KG/Dirk

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Shawn guarded everyone from Parker to Kobe to LeBron to KG/Dirk
Yep, he was known to be able to guard 1-5. He was an extremely versatile defender.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bright Side writes that we should draft Ayton. I disagree, but just posting it in case folks want to read their take.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... -draft-nba

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

azsportsfans is taking a poll. 100% Ayton so far. Doncic with NO votes.

I guess Bamba's wingspan was measure this morning at 7-10. He is still growing. He will be an all-nba defensive player at some point.
Last edited by JCSunsfan on Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

O_Gardino wrote:
Good question :lol:
That's why we need better team defense. Like in soccer, preseason camp will be crucial to get automatism.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:azsportsfans is taking a poll. 100% Ayton so far. Doncic with NO votes.

I guess Bamba's wingspan was measure this morning at 7-10. He is still growing. He will be an all-nba defensive player at some point.
7-10? Holy distant-fingertips, Batman.

The thing I like best about Bamba's game is his neck. He's got his head on the swivel, watching the other 9 guys on the court and looking for opportunities. I think he'll soak up everything a coach can teach him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

rhylek wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Good question :lol:
That's why we need better team defense. Like in soccer, preseason camp will be crucial to get automatism.
Yep. No matter who we draft, the whole team has to play better D.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Maybe we should look back to SSOL and evaluate what happened.

I for one thought that the world came to an end when two things happened.

1. Joe Johnson left town
2. Amare was injured - I think the first time 05/06

What happened when Joe Johnson left was that we received Boris Diaw. Well he came to us and improved the ball movement but was seldom the offensive threat that we desired. However the ball never stopped moving and we continued to win.

When Amare was injured 05/06 we still were very good without any big man and made the WCF. The ball movement was spectacular due to Boris getting more minutes. We still hated him because we didn't score enough but he kept everyone involved. That years team was the favorite for a lot of Suns fans.

I actually envision a much better version of Boris in Doncic. I see a player that can do what Boris did but much much more. I also see no real need for a traditional point guard. I truly believe that the ball movement will be spectacular with a lineup including - Bender, Doncic, Jackson and Booker. Just give me a center that can run the floor, rebound, play defense and rebound. Someone like Capela and I am good to go.

While Ayton is a very, very good player is he really our biggest need?

Name the dominate Big Man that is still playing in June?

Who plays center for the Warriors? Who has been their center for the last 4 season? Can you name them?
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

carey

Post by carey »

JustWinBaby wrote:Maybe we should look back to SSOL and evaluate what happened.
Oh, can we not and just say we did?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

1. Joe Johnson left town

What happened when Joe Johnson left was that we received Boris Diaw. Well he came to us and improved the ball movement but was seldom the offensive threat that we desired. However the ball never stopped moving and we continued to win.

When Amare was injured 05/06 we still were very good without any big man and made the WCF. The ball movement was spectacular due to Boris getting more minutes. We still hated him because we didn't score enough but he kept everyone involved. That years team was the favorite for a lot of Suns fans.

I actually envision a much better version of Boris in Doncic. I see a player that can do what Boris did but much much more. I also see no real need for a traditional point guard. I truly believe that the ball movement will be spectacular with a lineup including - Bender, Doncic, Jackson and Booker. Just give me a center that can run the floor, rebound, play defense and rebound. Someone like Capela and I am good to go.

Who plays center for the Warriors? Who has been their center for the last 4 season? Can you name them?
I don't think that's actually a good idea. Why replicate the warriors? We're not going to be able to. I think the way to beat them is to play differently, make them adjust. It's why I think Philly is such a potential nightmare for them. Who on GS defends Embiid? It's why cousins and AD were intriguing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Oh, can we not and just say we did?
Seriously. Can anything mentioned that is more than 5 years ago just be subjected to the asterisk treatment?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JustWinBaby wrote:While Ayton is a very, very good player is he really our biggest need?

I don't think this is the right way to think about it. Just because there are no dominant centers now doesn't mean there won't be in the future. You really think prime Shaq would be useless in the current NBA? We need to pioneer the next great team. Not emulate the current ones. I'm not saying that means Ayton over Doncic but we need to really think this decision through and I don't think looking at what's currently in vogue is the way to do that. There are many ways to skin a cat.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:

1. Joe Johnson left town

I don't think that's actually a good idea. Why replicate the warriors? We're not going to be able to. I think the way to beat them is to play differently, make them adjust. It's why I think Philly is such a potential nightmare for them. Who on GS defends Embiid? It's why cousins and AD were intriguing.
Agreed. Let's start the next dynasty, not copy the last one.
"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

If you're going to stress over a PG, I'd prefer to flip the 1 for Bamba and Trae....we're more complete faster...no wishful thinking...and Trae is going to be special, I believe.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Yeah I guess it would be stupid to build a roster that shares the ball. Those teams just suck. Why would we want to emulate what works? Let's be different. Well we have been different for about 10 years and counting.

All of you are in love with Brad Stevens, well the Celtics share the ball and they do not have a dominant Big, nor do they need one. They do not even have a dominant PG, now that Kyrie is on the mend. They do shoot and make a lot of threes. That is what all of the teams still playing seem to do night in night out.

I really do not like the Houston offense. Far too much one on one for my taste. While they won a lot of games, the ball gets stuck in Harden's and Paul's hands far too much.

If we do draft Ayton, which I expect we will, I hope Igor can develop an offense that moves the ball and can shoot the 3 ball efficiently.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:If you're going to stress over a PG, I'd prefer to flip the 1 for Bamba and Trae....we're more complete faster...no wishful thinking...and Trae is going to be special, I believe.
But how do you do that. There is no team that has two picks in the spots to get those guys.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:If you're going to stress over a PG, I'd prefer to flip the 1 for Bamba and Trae....we're more complete faster...no wishful thinking...and Trae is going to be special, I believe.
I would try to move up to get Trae.

If we cannot do that. What not try to make a deal with the Celtics for Kyrie Irving this summer?