With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

JustWinBaby

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
jonh wrote: I think Ayton fits better.
I get we have don't have a starting center, but we also don't have anyone that can run a freakin' offense. I don't think we have a huge need for a non-defensive, scoring center. I do think this team could be transformed but getting a player that can be the team's engine.
Amen

This is the priority #1. Until we get someone to be this teams engine we will continue to be mediocore at best. I can see the argument for Ayton and I see him becoming a fantastic pro, however we cannot lose site of this teams major flaws. Defense and playmaking. If we do draft Doncic I really think there will be ways to find a defensive center that can rebound and finish in the paint. I could care less if he can shoot a 3 point shot. I could care less if he can make a jump shot. Those are luxuries IMO, I want defense, finishes at the rim and rebounds from my Center. We will score plenty of points with Doncic, Booker and Jackson. We need to stop the other team from scoring and as much as some of you spin it, Ayton is not that guy. I also do not believe their is anyone close to being available to be the leader of this team as good as Doncic.

My intrigue of Doncic is remembering Magic Johnson. I remember what a horrible match up he was for the whole league. In the beginning of his career he was a horrible shooter not unlike Ben Simmons. While the Lakers had Kareem and Worthy to pass the ball to, Magic was the scariest part of those teams. While I hated the Lakers I always respected Magic and still think he would be my first choice as the best player that has played in this league, that includes Jordan. The Lakers seemed to not worry much about him guarding smaller point guards and they did pretty good with him running those teams. I see the same thing happening in Philadelphia with Simmons.

I hope we get to see Doncic leading the way in Phoenix. While it is a difficult choice due to Ayton being available, it is the right choice. We really need him more than we need Ayton.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

JCSunsfan wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I get we have don't have a starting center, but we also don't have anyone that can run a freakin' offense. I don't think we have a huge need for a non-defensive, scoring center. I do think this team could be transformed but getting a player that can be the team's engine.
Pretty spot on. Doncic and pursuing Capela or Jordan could really do wonders.
Why do people think we can get Capella? He is a RFA. We would have to do a HUGE over pay to get him and then its not likely. This makes no sense.
You really do not get the point. Original said pursue. I doubt we can get Capella, maybe Jordan but I would take -

Doncic/Capella, Doncic/Jordan, Doncic/Jontay Porter over Ayton/Brandon Knight all day everyday and I really do not want Trae Young (If we could even get him)

We need two positions adressed this off season not just one. The question to me is how we best fill both of these positions - Team Engine - Team Defense
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:I think if you want to build a team to compete against GS & Hou you draft Doncic and Porter. I don't think we will but it's what I would do.
I don't think we need to put together team to compete against GS & Houston, but I do think we need to put a team together that spreads teams out, passes well, is versatile, and smart. I think those are the ingredients to an NBA champion. And I think Doncic and Porter accomplish that.
This times a bajillion.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

I am on team Luka. Even though I usually prefer not to draft Euros. However, to me, the word "engine" sums up nicely what I believe Doncic could bring to our franchise. He is not only very talented but also extremely competitive. He has a fantastic attitude/mindset and just wants to win so badly that I think it will be infectious. I am convinced that he would be a great fit in terms of character, team chemistry, and motor. I know that are big words but I truly believe that he would give the team a heart and soul. That is invaluable to me. It is just too bad that the draft is so loaded with bigs at the top that it will be tough to address one of our other needs later on with the 16th pick. It almost forces our hand to go big first and pick a guard later on. I wonder what it would take for us to get the Memphis pick (or so) in order to get Doncic AND then JJJ, Bagley, Bamba or Carter. Come on McD get it done and make my day. To be perfectly clear here, I will not complain about Ayton as I do understand that Doncic is the harder choice to make and I do not expect our FO to make a bold pick. Especially after some of those rather unfortunate moves and events in the team's most recent history. So even though I would clearly prefer Luka, I will not be too mad about it if we go Ayton.

Considering our 16th pick also, I guess I would be pretty happy with Doncic & Porter/Robinson or Ayton & SGA/Milton

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Good big nen are THE hardest to find commodity. From what I see, Ayton or Bamba would be my bets for best options in this year's draft. There is a good PG option that is a mid round take, that even we shouldn't be able to f up. Take Ayton or Bamba + Aaron Holiday, and I think we end up solid. My only concern is that as we evaluate bigs...we pick the right one. If some miracle can be come up with for a trade down that lands Doncic + Bamba, they get my vote for GM of the decade...but in the end, size does matter!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

...and 16th should be Holiday. We sit here and complain about PGs, and other than Doncic or dissing the idea of Trae, no discussion. We don't need another stretch player...another scoring PG...we need a PG. Other than Holiday, the top options...maybe even Trae...are not known for their court vision...and their assist numbers suck. Holidays numbers have gone up on fewer games and he has at least good court sense. Doncic and he really are the only options. But... again...we need an excellent big!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Doncic and Bamba together would address multiple needs on this team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I'd be on team Ayton if the guy were a good defender. But why bring in an offense-only center to a team that has a horrible stuck-ball offense where nobody passes the ball? We also have way too little jumpshooting and 3-point shooting, so our spacing will be complete crap. I really think that adding Ayton to this team will have us remain one of the worst offensive and especially defensive teams in the league. Doncic, by contrast, could completely revamp this offense with much better ball movement, passing, pacing, and overall flow. The contributions a great floor general/PG could make to this team are way more of an area of need than a one-man offense-only center.

I also think that the prospects to get an above-average center in free agency or trade are much better than finding an above-average distributing PG. Guys like DeAndre Jordan or (maybe) Capela can be had, among others. Or, you can do what I would personally recommend, and play Bender at center. I think Bender would be just fine at that position.

I much prefer this lineup:

Doncic-Booker-Jackson-(Warren?)-Bender/FA

over this lineup:

(Payton? Ulis? FA?)-Booker-Jackson-Bender-Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bruiser wrote:I am on team Luka. Even though I usually prefer not to draft Euros. However, to me, the word "engine" sums up nicely what I believe Doncic could bring to our franchise. He is not only very talented but also extremely competitive. He has a fantastic attitude/mindset and just wants to win so badly that I think it will be infectious. I am convinced that he would be a great fit in terms of character, team chemistry, and motor. I know that are big words but I truly believe that he would give the team a heart and soul. That is invaluable to me. It is just too bad that the draft is so loaded with bigs at the top that it will be tough to address one of our other needs later on with the 16th pick. It almost forces our hand to go big first and pick a guard later on. I wonder what it would take for us to get the Memphis pick (or so) in order to get Doncic AND then JJJ, Bagley, Bamba or Carter. Come on McD get it done and make my day. To be perfectly clear here, I will not complain about Ayton as I do understand that Doncic is the harder choice to make and I do not expect our FO to make a bold pick. Especially after some of those rather unfortunate moves and events in the team's most recent history. So even though I would clearly prefer Luka, I will not be too mad about it if we go Ayton.

Considering our 16th pick also, I guess I would be pretty happy with Doncic & Porter/Robinson or Ayton & SGA/Milton
That's a compelling argument. Man, what a month we have ahead of us of discussion, news, and workouts. It's good to be at the top!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:...why bring in an offense-only center to a team that has a horrible stuck-ball offense where nobody passes the ball?
Dude. You're living in the past. You really think our offense won't change with Kokoskov at the helm? Come on.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm afraid we're (Sarver) thinking Payton is the solution at PG so taking Ayton fills the hole at center. Remember, all it took was a six pack for Sarvs to give Bledsoe that max deal. Shouldn't even take that much money to get Payton to re-sign.

Ayton's defense is troublesome and should be raising red flags. We need defense, but we also need playmaking and shooting to get the most out of the other players and take the pressure off Booker offensively.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Doncic and Bamba together would address multiple needs on this team.
But that's just not realistic unless you want to trade booker, or jackson with other assets.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

ShelC wrote:I'm afraid we're (Sarver) thinking Payton is the solution at PG so taking Ayton fills the hole at center. Remember, all it took was a six pack for Sarvs to give Bledsoe that max deal. Shouldn't even take that much money to get Payton to re-sign.

Ayton's defense is troublesome and should be raising red flags. We need defense, but we also need playmaking and shooting to get the most out of the other players and take the pressure off Booker offensively.

This team has many, many needs - PG, C, PF, interior offense, interior and perimeter defense, playmaking, rebounding, shooting, there's just not a lot they don't need.

And I think Ayton will be better defensively as a professional than as a player at UofA. Miller had him guarding forwards most of the time and that left him out on an island a lot. Plus he has elite athleticism. So I think he will at least be good defensively after getting some experience.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty? What is the current method for joining this board? ASFN is getting an influx of posters from overseas, Slovenia and Spain for example, talking about Doncic. It would be fun to have some of them over here too.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Luka here having a solid game in the Final. Just letting the game come to him, matched up against Wanamaker who I remember from college. Kinda hard to forget that name :)
Don't know who Luka backcourt teammate is but he just had quite a quarter to increase Madrid lead. This is basically like a road atmosphere with all these Fernebache fans
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ayton's defense in the pros will be 10× better than in college. I have no worries about that. In fact I'm calling it now, he will be a better defender than KAT in as soon as his first year, even though KAT was supposed to be considered by some a defensive savant in college.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ahhhh
Two biggest games of the season and it took to the last minute of the Final for me to finally see Doncic make an "irrational" not smart 19yr old play
Fouls out with a solid stat line. I'm not really seeing someone who would struggle with on ball D, think I was seeing those opinions around
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Doncic has what Ayton doesn't - big game experience. At 18, he's the leader of his team, MVP of the league and playing in game situations Ayton hasn't. He's a proven basketball player. No amount of training in a gym can replicate that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's come to the point that I'll be disappointed if they take Ayton because I just don't think he's the best player for this team. Doncic makes sense on so many levels, which means they'll probably go with Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:Ahhhh
Two biggest games of the season and it took to the last minute of the Final for me to finally see Doncic make an "irrational" not smart 19yr old play
Fouls out with a solid stat line. I'm not really seeing someone who would struggle with on ball D, think I was seeing those opinions around
To me, Doncic's athleticism is fine if you mathc him up with the opposing 3. He's not going to stay in front of John Wall, but he looks like he won't get killed against guys like Otto Porter.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan