2018 NBA Finals

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: 2018 NBA Finals

Post by Wally_West »

This...this is great. :lol:
[streamable][/streamable]

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Brilliant!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:02 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Not sure if I'm impressed by wilt's ability/endurance or if it makes me realize Wilt spent a lot of minutes just coasting because the competition was weak.
They called him Goliath for a reason. Physically, nobody was close to him. But still, averaging 50 points and 25 boards while “coasting” is incredible.
For sure, I think for guys like me who weren't alive in the Russell/Wilt era it's really hard to grasp what those guys did. 50 points a game is so unrealistic in today's game that we don't know how to process it. We just have to say, "different era, the game was different back then." Which is a true statement but it just essentially ignores/discredits the accomplishment. What's the equivalent in today's game? I have no idea. So the best I can say is Wilt and Russell were the best of their era, but they're impossible to compare to modern NBA players.
I think you just have to say "best in their era" and leave it at that.

Different training, different youth leagues, different sports medicine, different dietary practice, different travel...... there are just to many variable working for and against players from the 60's to judge them against today's players.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 pm
Too bad the FMVP award wasn’t around for the heyday of Chamberlain vs Russell. I imagine it would have produced some losing FMVPs for Wilt.
In his heyday Wilt was facing the Celtics in the Eastern Division Finals, he only played against them in the Finals in 1964 with San Francisco in a series they lost in 5 games (29.2 pts, 27.6 reb, 2.4 ast) and in 1969 with Los Angeles in a series they lost in 7 games (11.7 pts, 25.0 reb, 3.0 ast) when West was MVP.

Wilt was named NBA Championship Series MVP in 1972 when they beat New York in 5 games (19.4 pts, 23.2 reb, 2.6 ast).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Cap

Post by Cap »

D’oh. That’s right.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I liked this article on how Durant is increasingly going to iso-ball this year, which is throwing off the Warriors offense.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/artic ... -warriors/

INFORMER

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:59 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 pm
Hated the charging call reversal as well.
Yeah, it sucks when they get the call right.

I love your obvious hate for LeBron lol
Honestly, I don't hate him. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but I actually was irked that Cleveland didn't win in regulation.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Aztec Sunsfan

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:59 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 pm
Hated the charging call reversal as well.
Yeah, it sucks when they get the call right.

I love your obvious hate for LeBron lol
Honestly, I don't hate him. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but I actually was irked that Cleveland didn't win in regulation.
I fully understand you. He totally gets on my nerves, he is either pouting o parading all the time, but is truly awesome to see his playoffs run, and I was surprisingly rooting for him to pull off the upset after an undeniable surprisingly close game one. It was out of respect I think.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:26 pm
That being said, I don’t think he’s going to average 51/8/8. But if he does, he’s the FMVP.
If he puts up 40ppg the award is his, I believe. He already deserved it in 2015 (and before Iggy it should have been Curry anyway).

Cap

Post by Cap »

LeBron: still amazing, still losing.

8/3/5 in ten minutes and down six!

Cap

Post by Cap »

LeBron finishes the quarter with 10/4/5/1, setting an even better pace than Game 1.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Warriors are much better to watch when they don't play through Durant.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I can’t stand watching the Warriors. Every time Curry celebrates before the ball even goes in I am hoping someone undercuts him on his next shot or gives him a nice forearm shiver to teach him a lesson.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 pm
I can’t stand watching the Warriors. Every time Curry celebrates before the ball even goes in I am hoping someone undercuts him on his next shot or gives him a nice forearm shiver to teach him a lesson.
This is where the Pistons would have run him into a Rick Mahorn pick.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 pm
specialsauce wrote:

There’s no chance he would survive in that era. Little disrespectful shit would get his ass kicked the first time he tried any of that nonsense

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 pm
The Bobster wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

There’s no chance he would survive in that era. Little disrespectful s*** would get his ass kicked the first time he tried any of that nonsense

Ain't that the truth. I wonder how tough guy green would have liked being put into the 2nd row by Charles Oakley. I imagine he wouldn't ventured outside with Charles. Thompson and Durant are not much better. Quite frankly if I were Cleveland I would literally turn the rest of this series into a street fight. All the great teams of the past had thugs that took care of business. That is what is needed for these Warriors, probably the only way you beat them. They have the talent and the refs on their side. I would like to see how some of them handle some real rough stuff. That is why I wanted the Rockets to beat them so bad, their attitude. While I have never been a CP3 fan I loved it when he gave that Curry's shimmie move right back at him.

Go Cav's
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:31 pm
yeah. I thought the Cavs made a mistake changing up their game plan. Let the Warriors go one on one through Durant. Instead, they opened up the Warriors passing and movement offense, and there's no stopping them when they get hot.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

There’s no chance he would survive in that era. Little disrespectful s*** would get his ass kicked the first time he tried any of that nonsense

Ain't that the truth. I wonder how tough guy green would have liked being put into the 2nd row by Charles Oakley. I imagine he wouldn't ventured outside with Charles. Thompson and Durant are not much better. Quite frankly if I were Cleveland I would literally turn the rest of this series into a street fight. All the great teams of the past had thugs that took care of business. That is what is needed for these Warriors, probably the only way you beat them. They have the talent and the refs on their side. I would like to see how some of them handle some real rough stuff. That is why I wanted the Rockets to beat them so bad, their attitude. While I have never been a CP3 fan I loved it when he gave that Curry's shimmie move right back at him.

Go Cav's
They'd just go to the FT line over and over and all the Cavs would foul out. Do you guys really want 80's pistons, 90's Knicks basketball to return? The NBA is much better off without thug play

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:40 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 pm
specialsauce wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Go Cav's
They'd just go to the FT line over and over and all the Cavs would foul out. Do you guys really want 80's pistons, 90's Knicks basketball to return? The NBA is much better off without thug play
I want them to knock Steph out of the game, yes. He’d come back the next game and wouldn’t do that shit again.

Instead of the thug play we have these little entitled kids who never struggled a day in their life and don’t know the first thing about respecting your opponent and the game.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:14 am
Hermen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:31 pm
yeah. I thought the Cavs made a mistake changing up their game plan. Let the Warriors go one on one through Durant. Instead, they opened up the Warriors passing and movement offense, and there's no stopping them when they get hot.
Totally agree with this. When they play through Durant, the whole team stands around as he goes one-on-one. Cavs should just leave Durant open and let him score 40.