With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Cap

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:05 pm
Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 pm
Two more days! It can't get here quick enough. Then we can move forward (and complain about the next thing).
It doesn’t work that way. We haven’t moved forward from the Brandon Knight trade, and that was what, three years ago? People who disagree with the picks can and will continue to express their disagreement until they change their minds or get bored of repeating themselves.
Didn't we revisit Joe Johnson's extension earlier this summer? Fans can forgive, but we never forget.
Remember the good old days, when $5M actually meant something?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Two more days! It can't get here quick enough. Then we can move forward (and complain about the next thing).
It doesn’t work that way. We haven’t moved forward from the Brandon Knight trade, and that was what, three years ago? People who disagree with the picks can and will continue to express their disagreement until they change their minds or get bored of repeating themselves.
Didn't we revisit Joe Johnson's extension earlier this summer? Fans can forgive, but we never forget.
There are probably fans out there somewhere who don't forgive the Suns yet for trading Paul Silas for Charlie Scott.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I can't disagree. I'm just happy we're not getting a giant red F from INF for our draft grade. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNBA/status/1009182612420681728

Apparently he went out of his way tell people that he hates America and not to go see Ant-Man and Wasp because Paul Rudd is probably a douche in real life.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:28 pm
jonh wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I can't disagree. I'm just happy we're not getting a giant red F from INF for our draft grade. ;)
He just might. McDonough drafting from his mock draft cheat sheet again.

EDC

Post by EDC »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/1009175211634253826

Clutch shot by Doncic who just secured his 2nd Euroleague championship at the age of just 19.
He just led his team to another Euroleague championship and we are just going to pass on him.

He knows how to run a team and how to win.

jonh

Post by jonh »

EDC wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm
UglyTruth wrote:

Clutch shot by Doncic who just secured his 2nd Euroleague championship at the age of just 19.
He just led his team to another Euroleague championship and we are just going to pass on him.

He could take us far away from the mucky-muck.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

EDC wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm
UglyTruth wrote:

Hold your horses. This was ACB finals, not Euroleague. They only give one Euroleague championship per season. It's still cool though :)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

He scored 8 points, had 8 rebounds, 2 assists and a cool 3 pointer. Those are some #1 pick numbers against world class competition.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cool shot from Doncic, but winning the ACB after the Euroleague is like winning a national championship followed by winning a state championship.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm
He scored 8 points, had 8 rebounds, 2 assists and a cool 3 pointer. Those are some #1 pick numbers against world class competition.
Don't be obtuse.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Anthony Davis went 0-10 in his championship game.

Let us proceed...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Don't be obtuse.
But people want to put heavy weight into Ayton's performance vs. Buffalo when UofA got blown off the court. The difference is Doncic's squad won.

I'm happy with whoever we draft. Ayton would be a great fit and Doncic would be a great fit. I feel like the anti Ayton camp is really reaching. His personality scares them. He seems wrapped up in his brand more than basketball. He hates America, apparently. He thinks basketball is a chore and it bores him. All very exaggerated takes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

Let us proceed...
Ayton had 14 points and 13 boards vs. Buffalo in UofA's playoff game. I've heard many people point to that game as a red flag. What do you make of it? I mean, AD showed it was an aberration. Do you give the same slack to Ayton? You seem to be firmly entrenched in the Doncic camp.

Appreciate the hot take Cubby.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The "basketball is a job" quote was harmless. I don't have a problem with a fun-loving guy either.

But I do get the concerns about the Ayton brand. And the signing his Suns journey before even being drafted is a little much for me. At first I got the impression that he was driven to be great on the court, which is what you want, but now he is coming across as "I'm a big deal because of who I am and what I have done" instead of "I'm going to be a big deal because of what I am going to do (on the court)."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:35 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

Let us proceed...
Ayton had 14 points and 13 boards vs. Buffalo in UofA's playoff game. I've heard many people point to that game as a red flag. What do you make of it? I mean, AD showed it was an aberration. Do you give the same slack to Ayton? You seem to be firmly entrenched in the Doncic camp.

Appreciate the hot take Cubby.
I've never referenced that game.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 pm
The "basketball is a job" quote was harmless. I don't have a problem with a fun-loving guy either.

But I do get the concerns about the Ayton brand. And the signing his Suns journey before even being drafted is a little much for me. At first I got the impression that he was driven to be great on the court, which is what you want, but now he is coming across as "I'm a big deal because of who I am and what I have done" instead of "I'm going to be a big deal because of what I am going to do (on the court)."
Those are much more fair takes than the others I've read. I don't like him signing jerseys either. First off, where was this place that had jerseys made with his name on them and why was he there signing jerseys? Seems really weird and not a good idea at all. I don't like the vibe of "I've already arrived", to an extent, that he's given off. Proclaiming he's the number 1 pick, saying he's worked so hard to get that. Then why did he take plays and games off? Complacent and entitled are terrible traits for a rookie. Look at Chriss as a perfect example.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think ya'll are looking too much into things. Ho hum.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I have no problem with him signing a suns jersey. What’s the big deal??? He’s at a signing event and someone brought him a custom suns jersey that the guy probably paid $80 for and waited in line for 2-3hrs to get. What’s he supposed to do? Say “fuck off, kid. I can’t sign that because it’s too presumptuous of me at this stage to assume I will be drafted by the Suns, even though pretty much every major website and nba analyst agree that I probably will and have been saying so for the past month. Also I hate America.” If you’re Deandre Ayton and don’t sign that jersey for that fan, you’re a douchebag.

I’m sorry, but some of these Ayton criticisms are absolutely silly to me. Comparing him to Chriss? Dafuq?!

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Bruiser wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:29 pm
To me he just seems to be a little bit to enamoured with / focused on himself for my taste but I do of course hope I am wrong, again.
All of the top prospects sound like that. It comes with the territory.
Thank you for metioning it. I guess you are right. It is a thin line but I believe there is a fine difference between being ultra confident and having a big fragile ego. To me players like Nash, Curry, Oladipo, Adams, AD, Durant, Nowitzki, Duncan, etc. just seem to be on the better side of the spectrum. The success of the many other superstars with gigantic egoes however shoes that it must be more of my personal liking and preferences. I would still hope that the more team oriented players will have more success in the game, relationships and in life in general, at least over the long run. Could be very wrong though.