Game Day (Summer League): Magic (2-0) @ Suns (2-0), Mon 7/9/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day (Summer League): Magic (2-0) @ Suns (2-0), Mon 7/9/18

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/KZimmermanAZ/status/1016501390976303109

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

While true I still find it hilarious some nerd is trying to tell a professional athlete how to drive the ball to the hoop lol.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pm
While true I still find it hilarious some nerd is trying to tell a professional athlete how to drive the ball to the hoop lol.
C'mon! Kevin Zimmerman probably went to a basketball camp when he was in third grade!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

iLLmatic wrote:
A nerd for the Rockets is the one who decides which players to sign, trade and draft for the Rockets.

Even the Suns associate head coach and previous Bucks head coach Joe Prunty is someone that looks like he teaches Calculus 2 at Stanford and I'm sure he's told professional athletes including superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo and maybe JJ already as well on how to drive the ball to the hoop.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I didn't get to catch tonight's game because the northwest part of Phoenix (including myself) experienced a power outage.

A couple of comments -

Looks like people who worried about Ayton may have been worried about nothing.

Bender appears to have had a good game.

Jackson still needs to dial it back a notch or two.

And the reason they chose Jackson was because he was considered to be the more "NBA-ready" player in the draft last year, and they were in "best player available" mode on draft day.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
A nerd for the Rockets is the one who decides which players to sign, trade and draft for the Rockets.

Even the Suns associate head coach and previous Bucks head coach Joe Prunty is someone that looks like he teaches Calculus 2 at Stanford and I'm sure he's told professional athletes including superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo and maybe JJ already as well on how to drive the ball to the hoop.
I'm not saying he's wrong, I just find it humorous.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:

But let's not pretend an online columnist is the same as someone in an NBA front office.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:

But let's not pretend an online columnist is the same as someone in an NBA front office.
Obviously not but point is nerds are a big part of basketball now. Even Barkley went on a tangent last season or the year before about how much influence nerds have on the game of basketball now.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:

Obviously not but point is nerds are a big part of basketball now. Even Barkley went on a tangent last season or the year before about how much influence nerds have on the game of basketball now.
But not necessarily this particular nerd.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:57 pm
I didn't get to catch tonight's game because the northwest part of Phoenix (including myself) experienced a power outage.

A couple of comments -

Looks like people who worried about Ayton may have been worried about nothing.

Bender appears to have had a good game.

Jackson still needs to dial it back a notch or two.

And the reason they chose Jackson was because he was considered to be the more "NBA-ready" player in the draft last year, and they were in "best player available" mode on draft day.
Wasn't it just the opposite. Tatum was considered more NBA ready, Jackson was the player everyone thought would be best in 5 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Xylus wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:04 pm
The defense is outstanding so far
I've been really impressed all three games so far. Shaq has been unbelievable defensively.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:21 pm
The defense has been so good at times tonight. Loving Ayton actually banging in the post. Maybe those post moves aren't a year a way. :)
I had a big smile on my face watching tonight. Ayton has already shown progress. We may have a real monster on our hands.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:24 pm
- And Bender just rifled a pass into an open man (who missed the layup) and then played great D on the other end

He must be playing better than he has been playing.
Much. He finally had a good game.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

n4th4n wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:37 pm
You are all so freaking reactionary when it comes to JJ it's hilarious.
Yup. Glad it's not just me who thinks so.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm
It's not an excuse, but they took JJ over Isaac because of Chriss and Bender. They still might've taken JJ, but Isaac was out of the question because of who was already on the roster.
I'm not an Isaac fan at all, but in principle, this is why it hurts to have a bad GM, and, more specifically, how much harm bad draft choices can cause. A bad GM doesn't will go all in on his bad choices, and will avoid any move that my look like an admission that s/he made a bad choice.

So a bad GM drafts a really bad PF prospect in one draft. The next year, he'll pass on a great PF prospect because he still wants his guy from previous year to look good.

Another example: a bad GM overpays in a trade for a player who is about to be a free agent. The player looks bad in his time with the team after the trade. But because the GM overpaid for the player, he feels compelled to resign the player at all costs to save face.

The mistakes of a bad GM are so costly.
Can't disagree with either of those.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:02 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm
Archie Goodwin 2.0 Lol
Jackson showed way more last season than Archie ever did
I don’t understand how people keep forgetting how he played post all-star break. I know people like Issac’s potential but Josh Jackson has shown much more so far. Not saying Isaac won’t be good or better in the long run but I’m gonna need more than few summer league games before I start declaring drafting Jackson over Isaac was a mistake.
I really don't understand all the slobbering over Isaac.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:57 pm
https://www.nba.com/magic/news/mo-bamba ... n-20180709
LAS VEGAS – There are no official records to back up Mohamed Bamba’s prideful claim that he is undefeated against Deandre Ayton in past AAU showdowns, but the Orlando Magic rookie center knows the score and playfully boasts he is 4-0 in those matchups.

With the two 7-footers just hours away tonight from their first meeting as professionals – Bamba with the Magic and Ayton with the Phoenix Suns – Orlando’s big man made another confident claim.

``It’s about to be five,’’ he said with a wry smile.
Wrong, string bean.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ayton takes the classy approach:

https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/1016528707136049153

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm
Similar to them taking Len over McCollum because of Dragic.
Actually, I think McCollum wasn't an option because Ryan was targeting Bledsoe.
I think years from now McD will regret taking Bridges over SGA as well. Bridges has good 3 & D potential and maybe ceiling of a player like prime Trevor Ariza but SGA looks like he will be a star player. And the Suns had a need at the PG position as well.

It's gonna be another thing for Rachel Nichols to remind us of years from now like she already did earlier last month.

https://twitter.com/illastrate/status/1016561208772587520

Last edited by UglyTruth on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Shaq Harrison is a dog and can play on my (favorite) team any day. I'd start him over Knight right now.

My issue with Jackson so far hasn't been the bricks, it's that he's making up his mind to shoot on all of his drives and as a result missing open teammates all game. It's similar to how he played before "getting it" in the middle of last season.

Finally, Play Bridges more.