All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

This new article gives some great insight into the way Ayton thinks and what his goals are:

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/de ... 15065.html
Last edited by JeremyG on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Re: Great in-depth article on Ayton

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Very happy we got the pick to draft him.. And did

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

“Let me tell you something, man. College is totally different. In college, you can’t touch nobody. I mean, it’s dudes trying to bury his chest in my soul [in the NBA],” Ayton joked after scoring just 10 points in a Suns win over the Dallas Mavericks. “I thought it was going to be different in the league. That’s crazy.”

What a great quote.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I really like this guy.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1016772689447587840

"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Ayton seems like a genuinely good kid. One of the things that has struck me over the last few weeks as he has been received so much media attention, is that he really seems like a kid too. There were a lot of jokes going around for a while that he looks 45, but once you seem him up close he looks young. He talks like he is young. I feel like that is something that has been lost a little bit. I am very excited about how humble and thoughtful he is at this point.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Love this kid

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:56 pm
Love this kid
Hard not to be impressed with what we've see so far.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Love this kid
Give it time, someone will be in here to on rain the parade. :lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think he sucks.

Just kidding. I am stoked.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 am
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Love this kid
Give it time, someone will be in here to on rain the parade. :lol:
They always do!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

my favourite thing so far which I had no idea about prior to SL games is his passing ability. my concern was that he would bully SL but then when the real games start and defenses throw different looks at him that he would struggle to read them. Shaq took some time to learn how to make teams pay for doubling and as for current players I think Embiid still struggles with that sometimes.
so his passing is definitely a plus, only thing I am monitoring going forward is the tendency to bring the ball down low and get stripped. he gotta get work on keeping that high like Jokic as few do it better than him right now
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

During a summer league featuring some of the best big-man talent to come along at the same time in over a decade, one of the more notable failures has been the dearth of players capable of making an entry pass near the basket. Ayton understands he’ll have to work for his touches. “To be honest, that’s up to my teammates,” Ayton told Yahoo Sports. “I need to work on calling for the ball, but my guys, they have to know my [skillset] as well. I’m a guy who can face up, I can shoot the middy, I can pick and pop. I just have to really communicate to them, when I want the ball and where I want the ball.”
Glad to see him say this. The amount of times the Suns guards have missed him is insane. Okobo is the only one resembling any kind of actual playmaking ability. It’s a wonder how Shaq gets credited with the assists that he actually does.

Ayton needs to call out the guards more for their crappy ass passes then maybe they won’t be so selfish and will actually get him involved.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

There are several great Ayton articles lately. We should use this as a "All Things Ayton" thread. Maybe we can rename it! I'll post a few good articles I saw today.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Deandre Ayton's Summer League Performance Proves He's NBA Ready
https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-aytons ... 04705.html
Deandre Ayton has been under the microscope during NBA Summer League after being selected No. 1 by the Phoenix Suns. Has he lived up to the hype? SI's Ben Golliver breaks down the rookie's performance.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Rookie Report Cards: The Most Noteworthy Summer League Showings

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/11/nba-s ... trae-young
DEANDRE AYTON, SUNS
Vegas didn’t produce a transcendent showing from the No. 1 pick, but Ayton had good moments as he began his adjustment to life as a professional. He improved as the week went on and wound up posting a pair of double doubles, but also had quiet stretches in each game, exacerbated by team-wide struggles to get him the ball where he could do damage. Summer League can be a difficult environment for bigs to produce in general, given the mishmash nature of rosters that skew young. To his credit, Ayton competed throughout and frequently made small, energy-based plays around the basket, looking to catch lobs, rolling to the basket and taking advantage of his own physicality.

One key to Ayton’s ongoing success will be consistently profiting off the easy opportunities his unusual strength and athletic coordination afford him. He can make catching lobs, crashing the glass hard and ducking in for simple finishes all look extremely easy. If Ayton does those things consistently (and there shouldn’t be much stopping him), it creates a solid floor for his production regardless of how many times the Suns are throwing him the ball. The next step is refining his post game and defensive positioning, while Phoenix figures out the optimal way to win through him. There’s time for all that to happen.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:44 pm
There are several great Ayton articles lately. We should use this as a "All Things Ayton" thread. Maybe we can rename it! I'll post a few good articles I saw today.
Good idea, I renamed it!

From ESPN's Q&A with NBA rookies:
What went through your mind when LeBron signed with the Lakers?

Deandre Ayton, Phoenix Suns: I called it. I did call it. I said LeBron is going to the Lakers. LeBron is a very smart man. He wants a young team that listens, and kids who can get better. Because he's going to get old one day and he's going to want to just chill down low.

What's the biggest purchase you've made since signing your rookie deal?

Ayton: I got my mom a house. Her reaction was priceless. Obviously, you can't repay her for what she's done for you, but I'm trying. Trying to keep her as comfortable as possible, stress-free. She is living probably five or 10 minutes from [Phoenix] owner [Robert Sarver]. She lives in the same area as him and Devin Booker.

Best advice you've received early in your pro career?

Ayton: I'm still waiting for some good advice. I'm waiting for my veterans to come back to Arizona from their lovely vacations. I'm sure they'll help me and have plenty of advice.

JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

Suns’ Deandre Ayton buys 300 Mercury playoff tickets for fans

https://arizonasports.com/story/1634379 ... -for-fans/

Booker did this last year!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:30 am
Suns’ Deandre Ayton buys 300 Mercury playoff tickets for fans

https://arizonasports.com/story/1634379 ... -for-fans/

Booker did this last year!
Let's Go DeWanna Bonner !! :) 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

So Bagley is playing pick up games with Harden working on his craft and Ayton has been over here on his 2 month advertising tour. Grab a fucking basketball and put some work in.

https://twitter.com/deandreayton/status ... 54785?s=21

Split T

Post by Split T »

What makes you think he's not? He can't sit on his bed?