Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by UglyTruth »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 pm

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1016903083865935872

76ers? Oh we better bench Jackson's sorry *** and start Bridges for this game. You know Bridges is gonna want to destroy these guys!

Will probably wake up Jackson coming off the bench too.

Cap

Post by Cap »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 pm
76ers? Oh we better bench Jackson's sorry *** and start Bridges for this game. You know Bridges is gonna want to destroy these guys!
You think he holds a grudge over being traded for Zhaire?

I’m not sure taking it personally makes much sense for a role player like Bridges. His impact on offense largely comes down to whether he’s hitting his threes, and I don’t see how getting angry helps with that.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 am
UglyTruth wrote:

I’m not sure taking it personally makes much sense for a role player like Bridges. His impact on offense largely comes down to whether he’s hitting his threes, and I don’t see how getting angry helps with that.
Anger plays a big part of his ability to hit threes...

That’s his secret, Cap. Mikal is always angry.
:)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 am
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Anger plays a big part of his ability to hit threes...

That’s his secret, Cap. Mikal is always angry.
:)
Can he turn big and green? We need someone to defend Ayton in practice.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

He should hold a grudge that his hometown team AND mom’s employer traded him after being all excited about being a 76er on television for nearly 30-45 mins.

I mean I’ve hesrd of stories of playing holding a grudge for much less. Pretty sure Kobe has said repeatedly that he held a grudge against all the teams that passed on him despite him and his agent actually trying to force him to go the Lakers.

Marvin Bagley has already declared grudge on the Suns (as may have Jaren Jackson Jr).

Tons and tons of other examples as well.

I want Bridges to hold a grudge against Philly for rest of his life so he annihilates them everytime he plays them.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 pm
So, a possible 6 more games? Does that seem like a lot? Igor is still undefeated with his combination of EuroCup and Summer League. Probably wants to keep it going.
No, 5 more to win the championship.

Plus, you have to win a grueling 4 days in a row starting on Saturday to win it all.
If that's the case we will be playing bench fodder

Cap

Post by Cap »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:33 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 pm
So, a possible 6 more games? Does that seem like a lot? Igor is still undefeated with his combination of EuroCup and Summer League. Probably wants to keep it going.
No, 5 more to win the championship.

Plus, you have to win a grueling 4 days in a row starting on Saturday to win it all.
If that's the case we will be playing bench fodder
So will our opponents. Whose bench fodder is better?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 am
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

He should hold a grudge that his hometown team AND mom’s employer traded him after being all excited about being a 76er on television for nearly 30-45 mins.

I mean I’ve hesrd of stories of playing holding a grudge for much less. Pretty sure Kobe has said repeatedly that he held a grudge against all the teams that passed on him despite him and his agent actually trying to force him to go the Lakers.

Marvin Bagley has already declared grudge on the Suns (as may have Jaren Jackson Jr).

I want Bridges to hold a grudge against Philly for rest of his life so he annihilates them everytime he plays them.
I don’t think you understand what he’s saying. Bridges isn’t a playmaker or a dominant type player. He’s not someone like Lebron Booker Ayton or even Jackson or Warren who can break down a defense and take over a game, even if he’s extra motivated. He’s a shooter. I don’t think the extra motivation is going to get him more open looks.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

I don’t think you understand what he’s saying. Bridges isn’t a playmaker or a dominant type player. He’s not someone like Lebron Booker Ayton or even Jackson or Warren who can break down a defense and take over a game, even if he’s extra motivated. He’s a shooter. I don’t think the extra motivation is going to get him more open looks.
I think Bridges may have the capability to be more than just a shooter. I remember immediately after he was drafted he said something along the lines of “I can do more than just (3 & D) but I sacrificed for Villanova and for the sake of our team”.

Booker at Kentucky was also just a 3pt shooter and that’s it. Albeit he was much younger than Bridges but the point is that college doesn’t necessarily show what these kids can actually do.

Even a guy like Knox has already shown more in 3 summer league games than he did in a full year at Kentucky.

Btw Warren is not a playmaker nor is he someone that can breakdown a defense. He scored over 70% of his baskets last season either assisted or in transition. Tyler Ulis and maybe even Alan Williams can probably breakdown a defense more than TJ Warren can who can’t create his own shot or breakdown a defense if his life depended on it.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Maybe he’ll be so angry that he’ll learn how to create his own shot.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Starters listed their top 5 Summer League team. Ayton was the only rookie to make it.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 pm
The Starters listed their top 5 Summer League team. Ayton was the only rookie to make it.
To be fair, Doncic didn't miss a single shot or have a single turnover in the entire Summer League.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Doncic is God.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
To be fair, Doncic didn't miss a single shot or have a single turnover in the entire Summer League.
A distinction I believe he shares with Javonte Green, Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson, Emmett Naar, and Donald Trump.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

And a man named Tony!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why are they announcing an all summer league team now? I get that the "regular season" portion is over, but it was 3 games. Seems silly to separate the tournament from the regular games.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Speaking of which, they named Doncic the early favorite for Rookie of the Year. They said the sense of mystery didn't hurt his cause.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm
Why are they announcing an all summer league team now? I get that the "regular season" portion is over, but it was 3 games. Seems silly to separate the tournament from the regular games.
Probably because they're wrapped for the summer until the season starts.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Trae Young was dealing with 5 minutes left in the game tonight, assists, big shots, brought them back after being down by 27 and played clutch to ice it. That was exactly what people were expecting from him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Like 5 days ago people were sure he couldn't play in the league.