Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Trae Young was dealing with 5 minutes left in the game tonight, assists, big shots, brought them back after being down by 27 and played clutch to ice it. That was exactly what people were expecting from him.
Much better game from him. First major encouraging sign for ATL. I kind of want Trae to be great just so that Atlanta won't be bad for another decade.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1017164013216542720

I think Giles will be a solid darkhorse pick for ROY next season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:34 pm
Korkmaz just dropped 40 for the 76ers SL team.
I understand he has shot 1 of 18 since that game.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am
I understand he has shot 1 of 18 since that game.
Ha. Success is a fickle mistress.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
Trae Young was dealing with 5 minutes left in the game tonight, assists, big shots, brought them back after being down by 27 and played clutch to ice it. That was exactly what people were expecting from him.
Much better game from him. First major encouraging sign for ATL. I kind of want Trae to be great just so that Atlanta won't be bad for another decade.
I'm also glad to see him do well despite my stubbornly harsh projections of his NBA career. I've never wanted to see the guy fail, it just drives me nuts to hear people say he's going to be Curry 2.0.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm
That would be a solid wager in Vegas.

According to this site (https://www.oddsshark.com/nba/rookie-of-the-year-odds), Bovada had him at +5000 a couple of weeks ago. I could drop $20 on that, but I'm a sucker for a bad sports bet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
I'm also glad to see him do well despite my stubbornly harsh projections of his NBA career. I've never wanted to see the guy fail, it just drives me nuts to hear people say he's going to be Curry 2.0.
But remember that it took Curry a number of years before he became present day Curry.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Mitchell Robinson has looked nice.

In an alternate universe we have a draft of Doncic/Bridges/Robinson. That's pretty intriguing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:16 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm
That would be a solid wager in Vegas.

According to this site (https://www.oddsshark.com/nba/rookie-of-the-year-odds), Bovada had him at +5000 a couple of weeks ago. I could drop $20 on that, but I'm a sucker for a bad sports bet.
How can Ayton possibly be the favorite for the award?

Didn't they watch the Suns' 4th summer league game???!!!!!

;)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not trying to alarm anyone or say that the sky is falling, but there were definitely some things that Ayton needs to work on.
1. He's really struggled when he's put the ball on the floor in the post. He's lost the ball in a turnover many times when that's happened.
2. He also fumbled a ball that bounced off his chest on a pass and out of bounds underneath by...I think Reed, but could have been Bridges. Once again, that was very Len or Gortat like.
3. He is struggling to create a solid seal of his man when he's asking for the ball and gets pushed out of where he wants it.
4. He hasn't been that consistent with his mid range jumper. I've only seen him hit 2 this summer and miss many more than that. I'm not a huge fan of his shooting form, as I think it can be tweaked and improved.
5. He hasn't exerted his will on anyone and I'm not seeing his terrific footwork down low. This needs a LOT of work, and is probably due to not being able to practice against anyone that would challenge him. I would love for him to live with Hakeem for the next 2 months working on his footwork over and over to perfect it.
6. He tends to float near the top of the key at times, looking lost as to what to do next.
7. I don't see him as this super fluid athlete, and he's a little more robotic than I would like. A lot of times, he looks like a body builder trying to play basketball(This is an extreme exaggeration, don't @ me on this), but you know what I mean as we've all played with these guys at the gym.
8. He doesn't explode higher than everyone when you expect him to with a guy that's 7'1" with a 7'5" wingspan and reported 43 inch vert. I think he needs to learn how to functionally jump off both feet and one foot in moves, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ayton is far from a finished product. If people don't know that, I don't know what to tell them. Doncic is by far the more polished player at this moment in time.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

To @In2ition's point. It would be great if he could spend a week with Hakeem. He seems like a sponge and wants to learn.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1596983/ ... porzingis/

Positive words from a guy who's almost always anti-suns
“Watching Kristaps Porzingis his first Summer League, his numbers didn’t pop out. But watching him play, one of the hardest things is for bigs to play in Summer League because it’s a very guard-driven environment,” Elhassan said.

“Porzingis, even though he had awful guard discipline, kept doing the right things over and over again in Summer League.”

Ayton has showed that same mentality to Elhassan in his first action as a pro.

“Ayton’s numbers are a lot better than Porzingis’ was in his debut Summer League, but there’s a little bit of the same things going on. There’s a lot of times they couldn’t even throw an entry pass into him, but that didn’t stop him from trying to do the right thing… and that’s very encouraging,” Elhassan said.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am
I'm not trying to alarm anyone or say that the sky is falling, but there were definitely some things that Ayton needs to work on.
1. He's really struggled when he's put the ball on the floor in the post. He's lost the ball in a turnover many times when that's happened.
2. He also fumbled a ball that bounced off his chest on a pass and out of bounds underneath by...I think Reed, but could have been Bridges. Once again, that was very Len or Gortat like.
3. He is struggling to create a solid seal of his man when he's asking for the ball and gets pushed out of where he wants it.
4. He hasn't been that consistent with his mid range jumper. I've only seen him hit 2 this summer and miss many more than that. I'm not a huge fan of his shooting form, as I think it can be tweaked and improved.
5. He hasn't exerted his will on anyone and I'm not seeing his terrific footwork down low. This needs a LOT of work, and is probably due to not being able to practice against anyone that would challenge him. I would love for him to live with Hakeem for the next 2 months working on his footwork over and over to perfect it.
6. He tends to float near the top of the key at times, looking lost as to what to do next.
7. I don't see him as this super fluid athlete, and he's a little more robotic than I would like. A lot of times, he looks like a body builder trying to play basketball(This is an extreme exaggeration, don't @ me on this), but you know what I mean as we've all played with these guys at the gym.
8. He doesn't explode higher than everyone when you expect him to with a guy that's 7'1" with a 7'5" wingspan and reported 43 inch vert. I think he needs to learn how to functionally jump off both feet and one foot in moves, imo.
2. Baloney. His hands are one of his best attributes. He fumbled one pass.
3. Yes.
4. His midrange is money and his form is perfect. Really, his form is something other bigs should imitate.
5. His footwork is really, really, good.
6. That is the offense. He is up there to set picks and then roll to the basket, the problem is that we do not have guards who make good use of picks and he does not set hard enough picks.
7. Who in the world are you watching? He is an extremely fluid athlete, especially for 7-1.

My problem with him is only one thing, assertiveness. He needs to seal off his man, he needs to demand the ball, he needs to be 100% mentally engaged.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/1017770708926193665

The Knicks may have a legit big in Mitchell. The #s speak for themselves, tho most of his points came from lobs and putbacks. He's not a guy they'll be running offense thru. But defensively he was a menace, drawing comparisons to Camby.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mitchell may be very good, I don't know... But let's remember that drawing conclusions or even making predictions and comparisons off summer league play is an easy way to be wrong

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For sure, but when guys stand out it's noticeable. It's one thing if a guard is doing all the scoring but when a 7footer is catching lobs, rebounding and blocking shots like a pro, it might just mean something.

With regards to Ayton, assertiveness will be the x-factor for him. But I've been pleasantly surprised at his athleticism and ability to really bounce off the floor for dunks. Even when he can go for the easy jam, he really gets up and extends to put it down and does so effortlessly.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am
2. Baloney. His hands are one of his best attributes. He fumbled one pass.
3. Yes.
4. His midrange is money and his form is perfect. Really, his form is something other bigs should imitate.
5. His footwork is really, really, good.
6. That is the offense. He is up there to set picks and then roll to the basket, the problem is that we do not have guards who make good use of picks and he does not set hard enough picks.
7. Who in the world are you watching? He is an extremely fluid athlete, especially for 7-1.

My problem with him is only one thing, assertiveness. He needs to seal off his man, he needs to demand the ball, he needs to be 100% mentally engaged.
2. You may call baloney, but it's not the first time I've seen him fumble a pass and It's stuck with me, unfortunately. Let's not start saying he has Amare level hands. He's probably better than Len and Gortat, but he hasn't been perfect.
4. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. It's far from perfect and his percentages haven't been close to money.
5. He had a couple times where he had the ball in the post and couldn't do anything with it, so his footwork in the post is not as good as you think. But, if you are referring to his defensive footwork, I do think it's really really good too.
6. You may be right and everyone needs to be on the same page, as it looks bad overall.
7. I think we have different expectations on what "fluid athlete" looks like. He looks like a big, which he should, but he's not going to break down anyone with a cross over or euro step to avoid charge. I'm hoping that this improves over the next couple years.

All the negativity aside, the things he's going to do very well are the following:
1. He can guard decently on the perimeter, maybe better than almost any big in the game today. This is super valuable.
2. He is going to stick his ft shots, which is going to be concerning for other teams thinking he will be like everyone else and a liability at the line.
3. He can catch lobs and will always be a threat when the guards break down the defense and demand help from Ayton's man.
4. I know he will get better a ton over the years with the mid-range, and eventually he will clean it up to be automatic, or at least I'm hoping so.
5. He's shown some decent work on the glass and he will be a decent rebounder immediately, where he even seeks out contact to box out. I would like to see him use the SOFO technique on the offensive boards. He was called for a foul a couple of times where he just tried to push the defender to the side to get the board.
6. He's a decent, not great shot blocker, but he does intimidate.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He hit the pressure FTs in the last game so that was encouraging.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am
For sure, but when guys stand out it's noticeable. It's one thing if a guard is doing all the scoring but when a 7footer is catching lobs, rebounding and blocking shots like a pro, it might just mean something.

With regards to Ayton, assertiveness will be the x-factor for him. But I've been pleasantly surprised at his athleticism and ability to really bounce off the floor for dunks. Even when he can go for the easy jam, he really gets up and extends to put it down and does so effortlessly.
That's fair. Mitchell Robinson was a pretty unknown prospect. What he's been able to do is very encouraging. Knicks have some good, young wing/bigs prospects. Just need some ball handlers now.