Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by INFORMER »

I think the Cavaliers still make the playoffs this season if they keep Kevin Love. And I'm not crazy about him, but I think Colin Sexton, along with Wendell Carter Jr., are the favorites to win rookie of the year.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wow, I don't get all the hate for Jahlil Okafor. I'd take him for the minimum.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm
Same here. He's probably a 3rd team nba guy, as EJ says he will play well for his 3rd team. He looked like he was in decent shape, working on his outside shot, and we know that he has good post moves. If he can show something on the defensive end, a vet min is a steal. Perhaps he finally stopped feeling sorry for himself and is starting to fight back for his career.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Why can't Okafor or Noel even get minutes with teams? Are they that bad? Or have they just torqued off the mgmt where they are that they will not play them? If Okafor can't play for the Nets, who can he play for? These are sincere questions.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Why can't Okafor or Noel even get minutes with teams? Are they that bad? Or have they just torqued off the mgmt where they are that they will not play them? If Okafor can't play for the Nets, who can he play for? These are sincere questions.
Okafor just doesn't offer enough positive qualities to offset his negative ones. He doesn't defend or stretch the floor and you can't have big men without at least one of those qualities in today's game unless they are special in the post. Okafor is decent, but teams clearly didn't think he was worth playing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm
Okafor just doesn't offer enough positive qualities to offset his negative ones. He doesn't defend or stretch the floor and you can't have big men without at least one of those qualities in today's game unless they are special in the post. Okafor is decent, but teams clearly didn't think he was worth playing.
Okafor had added a 3-point shot last season.

Okafor hasn't really landed in a good situation. In Philly, there was that center logjam that only Ryan McDonough could love. Okafor also is a natural post player, and there aren't many coaches or organizations that value that.

I'm not sure why Brooklyn even traded for him. Atkinson seemed determined not to play him before he even got there.

I think he could excel as a second unit, instant offense guy.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I think Okafor could still have a very promising career...in Europe.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm
Okafor had added a 3-point shot last season.

Okafor hasn't really landed in a good situation. In Philly, there was that center logjam that only Ryan McDonough could love. Okafor also is a natural post player, and there aren't many coaches or organizations that value that.

I'm not sure why Brooklyn even traded for him. Atkinson seemed determined not to play him before he even got there.

I think he could excel as a second unit, instant offense guy.
To be honest, I had no idea if Okafor even played last year, so I'm basing my opinion on earlier years. Maybe he has a 3 point shot, did he actually make it in games?

He could become an Enes Kanter type guy. Kanter is a better rebounder, but he can score and step out a little and shoot. Neither offer much defensive value.

I don't really see how Okafor fits with us though. We need to give those minutes and development time to Ayton.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

To me he's more of a center. I'd play him at the Okafive.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 pm
Okano you didn't.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know that I like Okafor as much with Ayton on the team now. I really liked Okafor coming out and I think he can really stretch the floor out to about 16-18ft. Nets had him shooting 3s last year. Defense will always be an issue and unless you're posting and feeding him, not sure he can be useful otherwise.

carey

Post by carey »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:34 am
Wow
I didn't even recognize him at first, had me wondering if the vid is sped up :shock: . Is he even on a team....
I remember him going to the Nets but Jarrett Allen is their guy so his minutes weren't any better than the Sixers debacle

https://twitter.com/Krisplashed/status/1018172259767341056

How is he working with a trainer that lets him travel/bunny hop before every shot??
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Wow
I didn't even recognize him at first, had me wondering if the vid is sped up :shock: . Is he even on a team....
I remember him going to the Nets but Jarrett Allen is their guy so his minutes weren't any better than the Sixers debacle

How is he working with a trainer that lets him travel/bunny hop before every shot??
This is the NBA today. It is crazy, but they let everyone do that.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 am
carey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Wow

This is the NBA today. It is crazy, but they let everyone do that.
When I played in high school, we would have considered a Euro-step a fall down laughing travel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Nerlens Noel and Isaiah Thomas are good bedtime histories about how playing 80 million flip coins on a job that pays on your last few months performance can backfire big time. But maybe 100millions on hand isn’t enough for your 4th generation to get by and that extra money is worth risking a season ending injury
Yeah, I think both players got greedy and it backfired on them. Thomas talked up how he better get a max contract when everybody knew he wasn't a max player. After that, Ainge was smart to move him. The Celtics system made Thomas a star but he wasn't worth a max contract and I think most people knew that.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thomas wasn't worth a max but he was worth more than the contract we gave him and worth more than he's making now. Nerlens was greedy because he hadn't proven anything at all and turned down money he really didn't deserve. Thomas has proven his worth and value, he just needs to be healthy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:56 pm
Thomas wasn't worth a max but he was worth more than the contract we gave him and worth more than he's making now. Nerlens was greedy because he hadn't proven anything at all and turned down money he really didn't deserve. Thomas has proven his worth and value, he just needs to be healthy.
I agree Thomas is worth way more than the minimum when healthy but I'm just saying he got greedy demanding the max. Remember the Brinks truck comments? He is worth something in between. But by demanding the max, he forced Ainge's hand.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think that was bravado. He's a little guy with a big personality....I know the type :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm
I think that was bravado. He's a little guy with a big personality....I know the type :lol:
Yeah, but you've got big guns! :D
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:16 pm
Best comment on the whole site.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan