Skylar Diggins wants equal pay

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Skylar Diggins wants equal pay

Post by In2ition »

https://sports.yahoo.com/skylar-diggins ... _test=1_10

Skylar Diggins is a tremendous WNBA player and is now comparing her salary to Harrison Barnes. What do you guys think of this?

Does she have a point?

Is this calculated in the gender pay gap?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Re: Skylar Diggins wants equal pay

Post by Split T »

Comparing her salary to Barnes is a bit eye opening and creates some shock value, but it doesn't actually tell us anything, other than that the NBA makes a lot more money than the WNBA. The real question is whether or not WNBA players as a whole get the same percentage of income as NBA players? The NBA players split the money 50-50 with the owners, I'd be curious to know what the WNBA split is. I think it's likely the WNBA counterparts are getting less, but I don't know the numbers

Split T

Post by Split T »

Found this:
The two leagues also have a vastly different pay model. The NBA pays its players about 50% of league revenue whereas WNBA players receive less than 25% of the revenue, reports Forbes.
http://www.blackenterprise.com/wnba-sal ... 18-update/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Like the first commenter states, Economics 101, supply and demand.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am
Found this:
The two leagues also have a vastly different pay model. The NBA pays its players about 50% of league revenue whereas WNBA players receive less than 25% of the revenue, reports Forbes.
Now that's a little different. But, it then comes down to negotiation as the two leagues aren't one. I agree that they should get the same percentages.
"Be Legendary."

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am
Found this:
Now that's a little different. But, it then comes down to negotiation as the two leagues aren't one. I agree that they should get the same percentages.
That percentage really seems low, but it might be the result of some fixed team expenses (arena deals?) that take a larger portion of WNBA revenue, since it is smaller. But I'm just guessing here.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea I actually been checking the games last couple weeks and this been an ongoing topic. I don't know the details though but the fact most those ladies play "two seasons" Europe/China then WNBA every year to make their $$ look better is a lil crazy.

Mercury played well last week, Taurasi is something else. Seattle Storm gonna be tough tho
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

The WNBA is going to have to reconcile some of its practices soon if it wants to remain viable. I'm sort of surprised that someone hasn't proposed launching a rival league with better pay and benefits to steal away the talent from the WNBA. But it's lame; just a couple other thoughts:

In the WNBA players sign contracts with the league, not teams, so the pay scale stays artificially low.

Teams are not allowed to charter flights. Or really do much different from any other team that would improve playing/practice conditions. So the world's best athletes fly commercial from one game to another, sometimes under poor conditions. The Las Vegas Aces had to forfeit a game this year after flying over 24 hours to get to their game in Washington. The trainers advised playing because the risk of injury was too high, and the league made them forfeit the game rather than rescheduling.

Most of the women play in the WNBA for the competition, not the pay. Most of them make the vast majority of their money overseas during the WNBA's offseason.

Honestly, if I was some big-time foreign investor, I'd look to create a rival league that operated with more of an NBA model. Target big women's basketball markets like Connecticut, Tennessee, Seattle. Make it extremely fan friendly and affordable. I think it could become very successful. And I bet the WNBA stars would jump ship, with other players following.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Solid post miller, definitely seems to be a fair amount of logistics issues which is unfortunate.

Another good game y'day

https://twitter.com/RealBillRussell/status/1033922439107887104

Indy

Post by Indy »

agreed to all of that miller. Is the WBNA a completely separate entity from the NBA? Do they share any legal entities? I am curious how it all is structured, and how the negotiations worked with the players assoc.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am
agreed to all of that miller. Is the WBNA a completely separate entity from the NBA? Do they share any legal entities? I am curious how it all is structured, and how the negotiations worked with the players assoc.
I'm not 100% sure how it all works, but the NBA used to own all the WNBA teams until around 2000-ish. Then the teams were sold off, so now some are owned by an NBA counterpart, and some are owned independently. For instance, I know that MGM owns the Aces, but the Mercury are owned by the Suns (Sarver more specifically I suppose).

I think initially, the NBA held all the cards and structured the league in such a way that it was beneficial for the NBA. I think the players, not really having a ton of leverage, went along with it. But the latest CBA is expiring, and I'll be interested to see if they can negotiate from a much stronger position now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am
I'm not 100% sure how it all works, but the NBA used to own all the WNBA teams until around 2000-ish. Then the teams were sold off, so now some are owned by an NBA counterpart, and some are owned independently. For instance, I know that MGM owns the Aces, but the Mercury are owned by the Suns (Sarver more specifically I suppose).

I think initially, the NBA held all the cards and structured the league in such a way that it was beneficial for the NBA. I think the players, not really having a ton of leverage, went along with it. But the latest CBA is expiring, and I'll be interested to see if they can negotiate from a much stronger position now.
I hope they do. I really like watching the game when it is played on spacing and passing instead of above the rim. I hope it gets more exposure and doesn't lose some of the best basketball players on the planet as they head to China to make a living.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched the Mercury loss yesterday. If they could just get a few stops, they could win easily. Sound familiar?
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Fairly ridiculous come back by Mercury tonight
Taurasi is just nuts

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm
Taurasi is just nuts
Dude, you made me think they won. Just finished watching the highlights and kept waiting for the final comeback in OT that never came.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:14 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm
Taurasi is just nuts
Dude, you made me think they won. Just finished watching the highlights and kept waiting for the final comeback in OT that never came.
Oh my bad , my post was even before DT 3 to force OT. Tough loss but I will be honest , if Suns can get a Trio producing like DT - Griner - Bonner I would be happy :oops: :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How about Yvonne Turner and the Mercury's win tonight to stay alive despite Taurasi not scoring until 6:30 left in the 4th quarter?
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 pm
How about Yvonne Turner and the Mercury's win tonight to stay alive despite Taurasi not scoring until 6:30 left in the 4th quarter?
Yea man, don't know the last time Taurasi was Off for the whole game. Turner definitely did well and I'm a bug Bonner fan so kool she led the charge with DT struggling

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Bonner has been so good this year
On to Game 5

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:23 pm
Bonner has been so good this year
On to Game 5
Yep, nice comeback in this one. Griner was a monster as well. Game 5 should be a good one. Will Sue Bird wear a mask for that broken nose?
"Be Legendary."