RIP John McCain 1936 -2018

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

RIP John McCain 1936 -2018

Post by Nodack »

John McCain 1936 -2018

I’m not a Republican but I respected John McCain. He was a real American hero who stood up for what he believed in, reached across partisan isles, showed respect for other people, had morals and common decency unlike some in Washington.

Trump and McCain became bitter adversaries. Trump said McCain wasn’t a war hero because he likes his war heros that weren’t shot down. Shot down serving your country and spending years in a POW camp while Trump got out of serving claiming bone spurs. McCain took a lot of the things Trump said personally lke when Trump attacked our Intelligence community and the FBI.

He earned so much respect from me when he was campaigning against Obama and some lady said she couldn’t trust Obama because he was an Arab. McCain took the mic from her and said “No mam, he’s a decent family man, citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with.” I was like, Wow! He actually stood up for Obama on stage while campaigning against him. I’m sure that cost him some votes. He earned my respect.

Standing up to Trump when few others would earned him more respect from me.

Voting no on the Republican health care plan (dismantle Obamacare) took courage and earned more respect.

McCain didn’t always do the right thing. Picking Sarah Palin was a bad decision. Say what you want about him but, he was a real American hero to me even if I didn’t agree with him most of the time.

Obama will be delivering his eulogy.

Trump wasn’t invited.

Mori Chu

Re: RIP John McCain 1936 -2018

Post by Mori Chu »

Sad to see him go. A real patriot and American hero. One of the few politicians who showed genuine class and courage throughout his career. He truly had principles and loved this country. RIP.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

McCain was a true American hero who didn't just kowtow to party lines. Like you said, one of the very few with the guts and brains to stand up to Trump's idiocy. He's well respected by me. RIP and condolences to his family.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

* He also was no saint. His voting record has a lot of bad marks on it. He voted against Martin Luther King Day and was a war hawk. But that doesn't undo his service to the country and all of the good he did in his career. RIP.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 am
* He also was no saint. His voting record has a lot of bad marks on it. He voted against Martin Luther King Day and was a war hawk. But that doesn't undo his service to the country and all of the good he did in his career. RIP.
I will agree that there was a lot of bad things in his history (like his first marriage and how he treated her when he came back from war, robbing so many of their life savings as part of the Keating 5), but you have to admire his service and commitment to his comrades in his POW camp.
Last edited by Indy on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:50 am
I will agree that there was a lot of bad things in his history (like his first marriage and how we treated her when he came back from war, robbing so many of their life savings as part of the Keating 5), but you have to admire his service and commitment to his comrades in his POW camp.
I have no knowledge of any of that so keep me out of it. I have never met her. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think you misquoted me. :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Heh, but seriously, I have no knowledge of how he treated his first wife or what the Keating 5 is. I will have to research.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I won't post any of it here. It is easy enough to find. It was always something that stuck with me with him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

At least McCain took responsibilty for his marriage break up:

“My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam, and I cannot escape blame by pointing a finger at the war. The blame was entirely mine.”

McCain later said:

“The breakup of our marriage was not caused by my accident or Vietnam or any of those things. I don't know that it might not have happened if John had never been gone. I attribute it more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else."
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am glad that he took responsibility for it. He traded his severely injured, former model of a wife in for an extremely rich, younger version. And this was after they had children. Not the type of character you want in a leader. But he showed more courage and grace under other extreme circumstances than most of us (me included) ever will.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In some ways, he was no role model. In other ways, he was an extraordinary role model. That makes him better than 99% of Republicans.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:47 pm
In some ways, he was no role model. In other ways, he was an extraordinary role model. That makes him better than 99% of Republicans.
That makes him better than most humans.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Keating thing was a big AZ thing. One of my best friends worked for Gary Hall Sr who owned Gary Hall Eye surgery and was a former gold medal Olympic swimmer. He married Keatings daughter. Their son was Gary Hall Jr. who won a bunch of gold medals in the Olypics as well as a swimmer. When the Keating scandal started Keating sold his home to Gary Hall Sr. for cheap so it wouldn’t be taken in the settlement.

Gary Hall was very nice and let us play basketball on their real nice court whenever we wanted. Gary Hall’s eye surgery business was one of the biggest in town until he got into trouble for doing too many surgeries a day and was run out of town. Some have wondered of it had anything to do with Keating. I guess we will never know.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If nothing else, McCain's death gave national attention to Trump's pettiness. The run of the mill statement, the flag debacle, not being invited to the funeral speak volumes. As much as those on the right can rationalize his policies, his statements, his gestures and relationships towards foreign leaders (both friendly and hostile), and even his alleged criminal activity, it seems they're finding it hard to excuse his lack of class and integrity towards a man who served his country in war and government for some 6 decades.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Anybody watch McCain's funeral? I saw some clips and felt that the whole event was (while also rightfully a fond remembrance of McCain and his life and accomplishments) a bipartisan rebuke of the current administration. I really hope both sides can come together to defeat this guy in 2018 and 2020.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Navy admits that it received a request to cover up the logos on the USS John McCain during POTUS's recent visit to Japan to avoid upsetting the President. Wow.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... n-n1012731

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The current president is probably the most petty, classless individual to ever occupy the White House.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

“Probably”?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There’s no question.
"Be Legendary."