2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 am
As much as people don't like Point Booker, it might be our best shot at success. I can't think of one PG skill (passing, breaking down a defense, outside shooting, running an offense) that Knight is currently better at than Book.

A lineup of Book-Bridges-JJ/TJ-Ariza-Ayton could be really nice. Replace any of those guys with Knight and it loses its luster.
I think that depends on two things:
1) Does Booker being the primary ball handler make him more or less efficient, and does it wear him down more?
2) If Knight is back to playing PG instead of SG, can he play within himself?

I am really worried that Point Book would mean seeing him miss 20 games/year, and if we ever did make it to the playoffs in coming years, less likely for him to be effective.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

We are going to lose some games this year because of our PG situation, but I hope Robby and Ryan don't do anything stupid. We don't need "a different pg", we need a guy who is the right fit. It's ok to take a couple of summers building the roster, we just can't panic and screw it up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think it wears him down more, especially if it's more of a passing/motion offense. If he were asked to run offense like Nash and have a high usage%, then sure. My main concern with him playing PG is that you might be taking him away from his biggest strength as primary scorer and shooter. He might be marginalized in a sense, like when MikeD had Shaq running out to the 3pt line for screens, or Porter had Nash off the ball as a shooter.

My other concern with Booker at point would be defense. He's not exactly a staunch defender at his own position, so asking him to defend the most talented position in the league might be painful to watch. We'd have to get creative with cross matches...Jackson would have to be out there to cover the PG IMO since he's probably our best perimeter defender (or has that potential outside of Harrison). Maybe Bridges can cover some but he's still only a rook. Wouldn't trust Ariza or Warren with those assignments.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:31 pm
I don't think it wears him down more, especially if it's more of a passing/motion offense. If he were asked to run offense like Nash and have a high usage%, then sure. My main concern with him playing PG is that you might be taking him away from his biggest strength as primary scorer and shooter. He might be marginalized in a sense, like when MikeD had Shaq running out to the 3pt line for screens, or Porter had Nash off the ball as a shooter.

My other concern with Booker at point would be defense. He's not exactly a staunch defender at his own position, so asking him to defend the most talented position in the league might be painful to watch. We'd have to get creative with cross matches...Jackson would have to be out there to cover the PG IMO since he's probably our best perimeter defender (or has that potential outside of Harrison). Maybe Bridges can cover some but he's still only a rook. Wouldn't trust Ariza or Warren with those assignments.
I know Jackson has a year of NBA play under his belt, but I would argue that Bridges is probably a better defender. Either way, we will need to make huge leaps forward on the defensive front if we are going to be markedly better than last year. Improving our offense won't be enough.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Playing anyone other than Ulis and Daniels in the backcourt is going to be a huge improvement in our defense.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I wouldn't be surprised if we made a mid-season move for either Mike Conley or Damian Lillard, depending on how the Grizz and Blazers' seasons start.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Conley's contract is obscene and it feels like he's always hurt.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It doesn't seem like it, but the Blazers were 3rd in the west last season. How far would they have to fall to blow it up and trade Damian?

Edit: I guess that's not a fair representation. They were only 3 games ahead of 9th place, and could easily have missed the playoffs altogether.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

To quote Kevin Durant, "You know you guys (the Blazers) aren't going to win a championship."
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:07 pm
To quote Kevin Durant, "You know you guys (the Blazers) aren't going to win a championship."
“Yeah, we can’t all jump ship and sign with the odds-on favorite like you did.”

Why does KD have to be such a jerk? Somebody who wins titles the way he did it has no business mocking others for failing to win one.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Why does KD have to be such a jerk? Somebody who wins titles the way he did it has no business mocking others for failing to win one.
Was he wrong though?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Was he wrong though?
It’s probably accurate, but that doesn’t necessarily make it something he ought to say.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm
Conley's contract is obscene and it feels like he's always hurt.
I LOVE his fit here, though. Defends, hits 3s, not a ball-pounder. He'd be perfect next to Booker and wouldn't cost a ton to acquire. There would be some similarities to the Nash move (a 30-year old, oft-injured PG signed to lead a group of promising but aimless young players).

Agreed that there's a ton of risk with the move.

Something like Knight/TJ/Chriss for Conley or Knight/Chandler/TJ/Chris for Conley/Jamychal Green would really balance out our roster nicely.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Lillard is looking to get out, nor are the Blazers looking to move him. If something were to happen tho, I think there are other teams that could offer more than we could at this point.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Conley is healthy this year and looks good, I wouldn't be opposed to going after him. Knight/Warren/Chriss would be my offer as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

A Greg Moore article on Booker and his basketball camp:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 056764002/
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 am
A Greg Moore article on Booker and his basketball camp:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 056764002/
I read that as Greg Monroe and I was like Huh ?? That's interesting lol :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Everyone worth a damn has left the azcentral site and we’re left with Greg Moore. Barf!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I heard Greg Moore on a podcast recently and wasn't impressed. He sounded like a typical shill who won't step out of bounds to call it what it is just to save his access to the team. Not to mention he plugged his columns at every half opportunity.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Based on this, seems like Booker, Ayton, JJ, Quese, Mikal, George King, Okobo, Shaq and Holmes are all working out together in PHX:

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1035254245874790400