2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm
The guy I keep forgetting is still here is Daniels
Would love to know what's going on with him because almost all you guys leave him out of lineups too lol
I think it's more important to have a veteran(sorta) PG like Canaan than Daniels. Daniels is a good shooter, but that's it. He's pretty awful at everything else. I think Reed is ready to take any minutes Daniels was going to get. Cut him loose, Canaan is more useful.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I still think we'd be wise to bring in Jarrett Jack.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jack doesn't offer anything we can't get from Canaan. He'd just clog the PG depth chart up even more

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jack gives you a ton more experience, better shooting and playmaking. He also didn't snap his leg in half in February. I'd easily cut Canaan.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:59 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm
Very low on creators though. Canaan is the only ball handler in that lineup. Jackson is obviously not the shooter Bridges is, but he can handle the ball and create some offense.

Also, who are we expecting to get cut? We've got 17 players under contract and can only have 15. Darrell Arthur is the obvious one that we've said we have no plans to keep on the roster. Still, we've got 1 more cut to go. Canaan and Harrison have non guaranteed contracts, but both play at our weakest position.

A trade may still be coming to sort that out, but I'm not so sure that's really in our plans. I think I'd just cut Troy Daniels or see if anyone wants him for a protected 2nd.

Canaan, Harrison, Okobo
Booker, Bridges, Melton
Ariza, Jackson, Reed
Anderson, Warren, Bender
Ayton, Holmes, Chandler

With King and Peters on 2 way deals.

I'd probably have Melton and Okobo take turns on the G league team unless one surprises us by being ready to play now. I also think Reed and Bender could benefit from consistent minutes on the g league team if they don't crack the rotation.
How much can Bender play in the g-league? Is there a maximum for a 3rd year first round pick?
That I'm not sure. For the record, I don't expect him to play there. Most likely he sits on the bench and gets garbage minutes.
If NBA 2K19 is any indication, Bender is going to be a monster this year. He came out with renewed intensity to start the season. ;)
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

"Renewed" intensity? That implies he, at one time, had intensity. Let's start with "any" intensity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Would love to know what's going on with him because almost all you guys leave him out of lineups too lol
He's a great shooter but I'd prefer that Reed gets his time. He brings it on both sides of the court. I'm hoping to see SL Reed in the NBA this year.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
I think it's more important to have a veteran(sorta) PG like Canaan than Daniels. Daniels is a good shooter, but that's it. He's pretty awful at everything else. I think Reed is ready to take any minutes Daniels was going to get. Cut him loose, Canaan is more useful.
Daniels has no business playing ANY minutes at PG. He's a 2 and only a 2.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm
"Renewed" intensity? That implies he, at one time, had intensity. Let's start with "any" intensity.
Ha ha. Maybe I should have said newed intensity but that wouldn't sound right.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Daniels has no business playing ANY minutes at PG. He's a 2 and only a 2.
Wasn't what I was saying. To me it's Canaan or Daniels for the last roster spot. I think having someone who has shown he can play the PG position in the NBA at a respectable level is more important than a 3rd string 2 guard who's only non awful skill is shooting.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Jack gives you a ton more experience, better shooting and playmaking. He also didn't snap his leg in half in February. I'd easily cut Canaan.
I don't really care about the experience unless he's more productive on the court. Jack was sub 30% from 3 last year, so not sure where the better shooting is coming from. Jack had a higher assist rate, but not by a ton, so I'll give you that, but he's also a poor defender.

So lots of experience, bad shooter, good playmaker, bad defender, and old(35)

Vs.

Little experience, ok shooter, ok playmaker, good defender, and coming off injury

I'll take Canaan, I really don't see how Jack does a single thing for us.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Jarrett Jack is waaaaaashed.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm
If NBA 2K19 is any indication, Bender is going to be a monster this year. He came out with renewed intensity to start the season. ;)
We'd be talking about giving Bender a max contract here if he were half as good as he is on my 2K team.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
We'd be talking about giving Bender a max contract here if he were half as good as he is on my 2K team.
Go on, tell me more about this 2K19 version of Bender...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
Go on, tell me more about this 2K19 version of Bender...
I want video.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I kind of really like the idea of going after Mike Conley (if our training staff gives a thumbs up). Memphis is in no-man's land and has incentive to tank (BOS gets their pick if it's not top-8). Conley is due a lot of cheddar over the next few years.

He's just such a perfect fit next to Booker and a trade could really balance out our roster.

Does TJ, Chandler, Daniels, our pick (top 3 protected), the Milwaukee pick and Okobo get it done?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm
I still think we'd be wise to bring in Jarrett Jack.
Gag. Go big or stand pat. No more treading water moves.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think that's too much. Not sure exactly what Memphis would want, but that's a lot of money to commit to Conley to give up Warren/Okobo, 2 firsts, and using all our cap space. Okobo himself could be better than Conley in a year or two. My interest in Conley left when we traded Knight. We need a contract to offer next season to offset the huge salary we'd be taking in. I guess I'd move Anderson/Warren/Mil pick for him at the deadline.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:21 pm
I think that's too much. Not sure exactly what Memphis would want, but that's a lot of money to commit to Conley to give up Warren/Okobo, 2 firsts, and using all our cap space. Okobo himself could be better than Conley in a year or two. My interest in Conley left when we traded Knight. We need a contract to offer next season to offset the huge salary we'd be taking in. I guess I'd move Anderson/Warren/Mil pick for him at the deadline.
I was trying to make Jackson the centerpiece of our offer going back, but it didn't work financially. We're missing the salaries to make it work if you don't include Anderson, who Memphis wouldn't touch, or TJ+Chandler.

Take out our pick, then. I think that's a pretty strong and fair offer. We pretty much have our cake and eat it with this trade because we keep all of our young talent, save Okobo. We've got to give Memphis at least a young piece to make this work and Okobo isn't as necessary with Conley, and to a lesser extent Melton, here.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

What's up with people willing to give Jackson up for cheap...