Suns Preseason News 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Suns Preseason News 2018

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 am
carey wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 pm
carey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Was Boris taken 4th in the draft? I can't remember.
21st pick
I was being flippant. I know where he was selected. My point is that the expectations are quite different between a 4th pick in the draft and the 21st. So suggesting that Atlanta fans felt the same way about Boris after 2 years that we feel about Dragan is not quite right, is it?
For comparison, Boris was 23 when traded here to Phoenix, right before he had that great 2005-06 season for us. Bender is still 20 years old for another month. Some of these guys just take longer to figure it out.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... wbo01.html
Bender was just plain drafted too young. He won’t develop appropriately before his rookie deal is up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

(PS--It is still asinine that we spent resources to double down in a draft like that.)
Thank you! I said this at the time. Never understood doubling down on bad drafts, unless you think you're going to just outsmart everyone. We saw this when he drafted Enis aa a trade piece only to get rebuked by Toronto in a year where Dragic and Bledsoe were the Suns' best players and IT was their target in FA. It was bound to blow up in his face.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

And so many of us wanted Sabonis, who is so far the best big guy available at our pick.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

“I never talk to the whole team during the game,” Kokoskov said. “I talk to the point guard and his job is to relay the calls and the messages to the other guys. That’s how communication goes. If somebody doesn’t know the play on the court, that’s your job as the point guard to deliver the message. That’s his job. That’s what my expectations are for the point guard. To be my voice or the voice on the court.”
If that's actually true, the need for a quality vet at PG is way bigger than anticipated and makes a mere 3D point less adequate.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am
And so many of us wanted Sabonis, who is so far the best big guy available at our pick.
Can you imagine if they didn't make the trade, got Murray, traded only 2 places up for Sabonis? Probably would have taken less to get that done.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

(PS--It is still asinine that we spent resources to double down in a draft like that.)
Thank you! I said this at the time. Never understood doubling down on bad drafts, unless you think you're going to just outsmart everyone. We saw this when he drafted Enis aa a trade piece only to get rebuked by Toronto in a year where Dragic and Bledsoe were the Suns' best players and IT was their target in FA. It was bound to blow up in his face.
And boy did it today.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am
Yep. He would be very useful on this team right now.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/JacobEGoldstein/status/1049391089927512065

Well at least we have Ayton. Yikes on Josh Jackson. I think Jackson will be better when Booker gets here and we bring in a PG so Jackson doesn't have to create his own shot so much.

He needs to improve that shot selection. I think part of the problem is we don't have anyone right now who can create a shot when the offense doesn't create one. Jackson can create a shot, he just can't make it right now. Booker will become our bail out guy when he gets back. Hopefully Jackson will figure out he should get all his shots on drives to the rim/in transition/spot up situations. Pull ups should be in emergencies only.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ayton's defense is so much better than I expected it to be.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Ayton's defense is so much better than I expected it to be.
It has improved a ton even since summer league. That's why I'm so impressed with the young man. The kid's a sponge.
"Be Legendary."

Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

agreed, he's improved so much from U of A to now
#SarverOut

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 am
Harris is a SF playing PF. He can act as a stretch 4 because of his skillset, but it's no different than Shawn playing the 4, or Aminu/Harkless, Thad Young, etc. They're not true 4s IMO.
Shawn was very different than all of those guys. He blocked shots and was one of the best rebounders in the league. So you could get away with playing him at the 4.

Most of those other guys, you lose something playing them at the 4.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am
How is he a bad rebounder? His rebounding numbers are in line with every stretch-4 to win a championship.
That is a puzzling statement.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm
ShelC wrote:
Harris is a SF playing PF. He can act as a stretch 4 because of his skillset, but it's no different than Shawn playing the 4, or Aminu/Harkless, Thad Young, etc. They're not true 4s IMO.
Shawn was very different than all of those guys. He blocked shots and was one of the best rebounders in the league. So you could get away with playing him at the 4.

Your first response since the big news is this?! Get in the McD has been fired thread and give us your thoughts lol

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 pm
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Your first response since the big news is this?! Get in the McD has been fired thread and give us your thoughts lol
:lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

:lol:
It's gotta be utter joy, right? The scary thing is who's going to replace him?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am
How is he a bad rebounder? His rebounding numbers are in line with every stretch-4 to win a championship.
That is a puzzling statement.
T.H. grabs rebounds at about the same rate as other stretch 4s. While playing with dominant rebounders in LA and DET, he's at about 16.5%. Previously, he was at about 18.5%.

Warriors - I don't know who's playing PF on that team, so I don't want to count them.
Cavs - They don't have a stretch 4, they have a star at that position. He's an excellent rebounder.
Spurs 2014 - Boris and Tiago Splitter ~16%
Heat 2012 - Bosh was sort of a star on that team, but he grabbed ~17%
Heat 2013 - Bosh was sort of a star on that team, but he grabbed ~20%
Mavs 2011 - Dirk is a star and rebounded well at ~21%
Lakers 2010 - Odom and Gasol ~17%
Lakers 2009 - Odom ~22% and Gasol ~19%
Celtics 2008 - Garnett is a beast ~25%
Spurs 2007 - And now we've gone all the way back to Robert Horry who pretty consistently grabbed ~16%

My piont is that teams only have one dominant rebounder up front. You can win with a 16% guy is he's not in your big 3.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nice Josh Jackson diary at The Undefeated:

https://theundefeated.com/features/phoe ... ew-season/
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 pm
He needs to improve that shot selection. I think part of the problem is we don't have anyone right now who can create a shot when the offense doesn't create one. Jackson can create a shot, he just can't make it right now. Booker will become our bail out guy when he gets back. Hopefully Jackson will figure out he should get all his shots on drives to the rim/in transition/spot up situations. Pull ups should be in emergencies only.
He had a possession late in the game yesterday where he didn't shoot an open spot up three, decided to attack his man only to get cut off and settle for a pull up jumper while being smothered by his defender. I can handle that stuff from a rookie, but Igor's gotta yank him if he keeps doing that shit during the regular season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

[youtube][/youtube]