Midterm Elections

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Midterm Elections

Post by Nodack »

Trump makes jokes about Elizabeth Warren claiming Indian heritage. In July he went off for a few minutes making fun of her and said he would give a million dollars to charity if she took a DNA test and proved she had any indian heritage in her.

She took a DNA test and it shows she has indian heritage. Today Trump says who cares and denies he ever said he would give a million dollars to charity if she could prove it even though there is a perfectly clear video of him saying it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

facts don't matter. i think it was kelly anne conway that said today that insinuated she doesn't trust dna science.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The only way Trump is giving money to charity is if it helps him in some way. Plus, he's a known liar. I'm not surprised in the least.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

Trump makes jokes about Elizabeth Warren claiming Indian heritage. In July he went off for a few minutes making fun of her and said he would give a million dollars to charity if she took a DNA test and proved she had any indian heritage in her.

She took a DNA test and it shows she has indian heritage. Today Trump says who cares and denies he ever said he would give a million dollars to charity if she could prove it even though there is a perfectly clear video of him saying it.
I'm trying to find where it says that she has significant DNA or even Cherokee ancestry that she claims. Does anyone have the breakdown? As far as heritage, does she actually practice and participate in said Cherokee heritage?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:16 pm
Nodack wrote:

I'm trying to find where it says that she has significant DNA or even Cherokee ancestry that she claims. Does anyone have the breakdown? As far as heritage, does she actually practice and participate in said Cherokee heritage?
Not claims, claimed. A long time ago. It’s what she was told by her family. She has long admitted that she may have been mistaken.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Not claims, claimed. A long time ago. It’s what she was told by her family. She has long admitted that she may have been mistaken.
Idk Cap. If she admitted she made a mistake, she wouldn't have taken a DNA test to prove it. This isn't doing anything to help the Dems in the midterms.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Idk Cap. If she admitted she made a mistake, she wouldn't have taken a DNA test to prove it. This isn't doing anything to help the Dems in the midterms.
Like I said, she has admitted that she may have been mistaken. What’s wrong with taking a DNA test to find out?

She was promised a million dollar donation to charity if the test did happen to show any Native American ancestry? I would have taken the test too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Warren took this DNA test and announced the result as if to notch a small victory over Trump. But I think this whole thing looks bad for Warren more than POTUS45. The Cherokee nation issued a statement saying that Warren isn't Cherokee, isn't part of their culture, doesn't fight for their rights, and should stop referring to herself as in any way Cherokee. They clearly don't like any association between her and their people. Warren should have just let the topic lie and not tried to pick this particular fight.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/411 ... iate-wrong
Three months ago, President Donald Trump offered to donate $1 million to charity if Sen. Elizabeth Warren, one of his potential 2020 rivals, took a DNA test proving her Native American heritage.

The test, conducted by a Stanford University professor Carlos Bustamante, showed that Warren has a Native American ancestor going back six to 10 generations ago, making her somewhere between 1/32nd and 1/1,024th American Indian.

My take? She claimed she had Indian blood because she was told through her relatives that she did. I don’t think she ever claimed to be a full blooded Cherokee. The Cherokee nation wants no part of her. They don’t consider her Cherokee and they don’t believe in DNA tests. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t have indian ancestry.

This whole thing is just politics. Who cares what % of native American indian she is? It doesn’t make her any more or less Presidential. Trump attacked her over it and repeatedly mocked her like he mocks everybody who isn’t part of his team. Warren took the bait and got dna tested. It proves she has a small amount of native indian in her ancestry pool. Now Trump says “Who cares?” Now Trump claims he never made the statement offering a million dollars even though it’s on clearly on video and seen by millions of people and easily looked up on youtube. Why does he do that? It’s insulting.

This BS doesn’t make me want to vote any more or less for Warren. It’s along the same lines as Trump claiming Obama wasn’t a US citizen and instead a Muslim from Kenya. It’s just political BS. Now she is asking about his tax returns. Another two years of this?

The two girl race here in AZ between Ward and Siema is pretty brutal as well. They had a debate tonight. They both are out for blood. Their ads are everywhere and almost all very negative. My wife hates them both now just from the ads. Negative ads have the opposite effect on me than they are supposed to. I like candidates that run on their record and achievements instead of making their entire campaign about turning the other candidate into Satan.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

FYI: McSally beat Ward in the primary.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Like I said, she has admitted that she may have been mistaken. What’s wrong with taking a DNA test to find out?

She was promised a million dollar donation to charity if the test did happen to show any Native American ancestry? I would have taken the test too.
I find this hilarious. He said he would pay if she proved she was Indian. I am not sure that 1/1024th means you are Indian. My understanding was that it might be closer to Peruvian, instead of Cherokee. She claimed her parents faced racism over it, even though the ancestor was 6 to 10 generations away? She claimed to be Cherokee and was touted as first Native American Professor at Harvard? She also contributed to a Native American cook book, with "pow wow chow"? I don't think there is anything wrong with her taking a DNA test to find out, but publicizing her results to prove it when all it proved was that she is super white seems weird to me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some politicians are trying to play Trump's game and beat him at it, which only makes them look foolish. It was a bad move by Warren and backfired on her, especially since the Cherokee Nation put out a damning statement against the DNA results.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They put out a damning statement against any DNA results. It could have been 100% Indian and they would have made a damning statement against it. The results are somewhere between 1/32 and 1/1024. Trump supporters always say 1/1024 as the number, never 1/32. Not that it really matters.

She played the Indian card a little too much. What does that mean? Trump has made hundreds of untrue statements. Water off a ducks back. Will this make people not vote for her? Who knows. Trump could say he invented air and people would just laugh it off as Trump being Trump. If somebody else said it they would be lying and it would hurt their reputation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Warren screwed up by trying to play these games with Trump. He's better at this messy mud-slinging brand of politics than she will ever be.

But it does illustrate that we hold everybody else to way higher standards than we do our own President. If Trump had claimed to be a small amount Cherokee and gotten that test, Fox would be bragging about how great it was, and those who criticized Trump for it would have to move on to some other scandal 1-2 days later. Nothing bad he does matters. Liz Warren makes a small gaffe and it'll probably stick with her for months. Our expectations for our own highest elected official are depressingly low.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am addicted to politics and sick of politics at the same time. The whole politics thing is so slimey and disgusting and yet so important to all of us.

I went to a family function and was talking to my right wing gun loving brother. Believe it or not, in all the years I have known him we have never been in a fight. Not even a verbal fight at all. We make fun of each other but, we love and respect each other. I will tell him he is a fake Republican because he doesn’t believe in religion and doesn’t care about abortion. Then he will counter with how can I be a Liberal when I get excited about military hardware? He then said they just want to divide us up into two groups and I agreed with him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm
Warren screwed up by trying to play these games with Trump. He's better at this messy mud-slinging brand of politics than she will ever be.

But it does illustrate that we hold everybody else to way higher standards than we do our own President. If Trump had claimed to be a small amount Cherokee and gotten that test, Fox would be bragging about how great it was, and those who criticized Trump for it would have to move on to some other scandal 1-2 days later. Nothing bad he does matters. Liz Warren makes a small gaffe and it'll probably stick with her for months. Our expectations for our own highest elected official are depressingly low.
And the fact that women are held to a double standard.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am on the early mail in ballot list and have been for many years. It is a week before the election and I still haven’t received it yet. I went to the AZ Gov site and put all my info in. It says that I am verified on the list and that a ballot should come within a week.

Should come withing a week? It’s a week before election. What part of that sounds like early voting?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Weird

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:13 pm
I am on the early mail in ballot list and have been for many years. It is a week before the election and I still haven’t received it yet. I went to the AZ Gov site and put all my info in. It says that I am verified on the list and that a ballot should come within a week.

Should come withing a week? It’s a week before election. What part of that sounds like early voting?
Voter suppression? I voted 3 weeks ago.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not really an election thing but is a political topic. I am not a fan of the Republican school voucher thing. I think it saves rich people a little money and screws the poor. They already totally abuse the program.

This came out today.
Parents spent $700K in school voucher money on beauty supplies, apparel; attempted cash withdrawals
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcent ... 1780495002