Suns News: Week 2 10/22-10/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: Week 2 10/22-10/28

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:34 pm
I got on Ayton after the Mavs game for his energy and awareness and last night was more of the same at the start. He's got all the talent in the world and I'm glad we have him, but he needs to adjust his mentality to really bring it and set the tone to start games. It's fine if he's not a high energy, bouncy guy all the time, but he can't keep getting caught flatfooted and watching the ball during the first few possessions while guys are jumping over and around him. He either needs to adjust, or we need a guy like Holmes out there for the first few minutes to bring the energy level up and do the hustle/grind work Ayton isn't ready to do. This is still a learning period for Ayton so I'm OK with the growing pains.

And I certainly won't put it all on Ayton because we were getting beaten in transition which is a guard responsibility. I also feel like guys are still adjusting the defense Igor has put in. We were going against the best team in the league so we were going to get caught no matter what.

Usually, any team coming out flat to start a game or after halftime is on the coach. I say usually because I don't necessarily think it's Igor's fault. I think Canaan and Ryan are weak links for us and we need more pop at those positions. Canaan isn't really a speedy PG. He's kind of like a poor man's Bledsoe - which is probably why McD loved him so much. Ryan adds nothing and hurts our speed and athleticism. I'd put Ariza in the category as well but I trust him out there a lot more and think he'd be more useful with a PG who could set him up. But Nash was our energizer bunny, Amar'e and Shawn brought the speed and athleticism, we had success with Dragic and Green in running the floor. We don't have that yet.
Oooh. Great point.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton had a couple pick n roll defensive positions where he stuck to curry too long and Jones finished the lob. He also doesn't always react and leave his man in time to help when our guards get beat off the dribble. Those are rookie mistakes and correctable. I'll be worried if we don't see improvement throughout the year, but nothing concerning at the moment.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I want to see more of his PnR defense and the PnR defense in general. He has the athleticism to come all the way out, turn the guard back and then recover to the paint but I remember him playing off and getting caught in no man's land a lot. Again, it could be the defensive scheme that's been installed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:39 pm
I have to admit that I'm concerned about Ayton's defense and intensity. Yes, I know it's only three games and we have to be patient. I am currently having some flashbacks to Amare who had all the athleticism in the world but just wasn't that interested in defense and rebounding. I hope I'm wrong.

Those multiple uncontested dunks against us were embarrassing and I just hope the team was embarrassed and is making some adjustments.
What's wrong with Ayton's rebounding so far? Or were you just talking about Amare re: rebounding? I will admit that I always thought Amare could do better at rebounding.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm
Superbone wrote:
I have to admit that I'm concerned about Ayton's defense and intensity. Yes, I know it's only three games and we have to be patient. I am currently having some flashbacks to Amare who had all the athleticism in the world but just wasn't that interested in defense and rebounding. I hope I'm wrong.

Those multiple uncontested dunks against us were embarrassing and I just hope the team was embarrassed and is making some adjustments.
What's wrong with Ayton's rebounding so far? Or were you just talking about Amare re: rebounding? I will admit that I always thought Amare could do better at rebounding.
While his numbers were solid, he was getting worked on the boards during the first half of the GS game. You can tell that he is used to getting every rebound using his physical tools alone and not by boxing out. Hopefully, he makes that adjustment soon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm talking mostly about defense. Yeah, Amare could have been a better rebounder although he wasn't bad. Ayton's rebounding numbers are pretty good but he's still got a lot of room for improvement. He needs to box out rather than relying on his athleticism. He could be a monster rebounder.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

N4th4n and I are on the same p4g3.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ayton's got rebounding instincts Amar'e never had and he's also got a much larger frame. But yea, he's still gotta learn to box out every possession. He's grabbing 10-12 a night on instincts and size alone. Could be 14-15 if he puts a body on his man, or at the very least, can help his teammates get the rebound instead.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Ayton's got rebounding instincts Amar'e never had and he's also got a much larger frame. But yea, he's still gotta learn to box out every possession. He's grabbing 10-12 a night on instincts and size alone. Could be 14-15 if he puts a body on his man, or at the very least, can help his teammates get the rebound instead.
+1

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:42 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

While his numbers were solid, he was getting worked on the boards during the first half of the GS game. You can tell that he is used to getting every rebound using his physical tools alone and not by boxing out. Hopefully, he makes that adjustment soon.
He made that adjustment in the second quarter.

It's hard to box out when the whole team is out of position. He spent the last 6 minutes of the first quarter watching and came back in ready.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 am
Yeah, it is silly to say we gave up on Alex Len after 5 years here. He will likely be an average NBA center, maybe a bit below average. But he wasn't going to be that here.
The Suns messed up his development. He is a solid center. But I agree it was best for all parties involved to move on.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 am
Yeah, it is silly to say we gave up on Alex Len after 5 years here. He will likely be an average NBA center, maybe a bit below average. But he wasn't going to be that here.
The Suns messed up his development. He is a solid center. But I agree it was best for all parties involved to move on.
The Suns seem to do that to a lot of young players, but I would say Len's biggest problem is still his hands. Can't catch anything, and the Suns didn't exactly have good guards to feed the post or get him easy buckets on the pick and roll.

SDC

Post by SDC »

doncic or ayton... the guy whose team has the better record might end up winning ROTY.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://theathletic.com/612551/2018/10/ ... isastrous/

‘We have a long way to go’: Suns narrative flipping from promising to disastrous
Though the Suns’ immediate worry is Booker’s health status after leaving the game in the third quarter with a strained left hamstring, Phoenix’s broader concern is how the season’s narrative has quickly flipped from promising to disastrous.

The new-look Suns want to establish an identity based on grit and focus, qualities they can control as they develop chemistry and sharpen on-court play. Instead, they have mentally splintered while getting smacked in three consecutive games, most recently falling 131-113 Wednesday night to a shorthanded, desperate Lakers squad in the early stages of building around generational superstar LeBron James.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 pm
doncic or ayton... the guy whose team has the better record might end up winning ROTY.
Hard to give an f right now. (But easy to give an F.) Right now it feels like we’re going to win 28 games, costing Bone $210 that could have been put toward buying the team from Sarver, and getting us the #10 pick in the draft. And we’ll be f’ed. And postseason awards won’t help. And if we end up clinging to them to have anything at all to celebrate, we’ll look and feel pathetic.

And yes, I have had my morning coffee, why?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So, how do the Suns(players, front office, coaching staff) fix what's happening?
Do they make a play for a pg? How much do they give up? Do they try to trade for Love using Anderson and assets? Do they just hope for another draft pick?

I don't use this upcoming draft pick, Booker, Bridges, Warren, or Ayton, but everyone else and everything else is on the table.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

http://bkref.com/tiny/i70Hk

Deandre Ayton is the only player in NBA history to average 15/10/3/1 in his rookie season. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up!

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Deandre Ayton is the only player in NBA history to average 15/10/3/1 in his rookie season. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up!
These games annoy me. Doncic has negative WS, and still gets in an exclusive group with Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Grant Hill. http://bkref.com/tiny/1idvJ

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:

These games annoy me. Doncic has negative WS, and still gets in an exclusive group with Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Grant Hill. http://bkref.com/tiny/1idvJ
That's also impressive if he keeps that up the whole season.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:

That's also impressive if he keeps that up the whole season.
Trae Young is another oner: http://bkref.com/tiny/YLEv1