Source for Suns' games if I cut the cable...

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
The Bobster

Source for Suns' games if I cut the cable...

Post by The Bobster »

I'm thinking about finally cutting the cable, but I have to find a source (in Phoenix) for streaming Suns games.

If I get NBA League Pass will the Suns' feed be blacked out?

Are there any streaming services that carry Fox Sports Arizona?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Re: Source for Suns' games if I cut the cable...

Post by In2ition »

I don't have cable. I just pay for internet and use a Firestick and the FoxSportsAZ app. I use someone else's Cox login to get the stream.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://old.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/ is very reliable these days, but I only have experienced using it with a very good internet service. I know that might be a problem for some people stateside.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Other option is buying a decent VPN service, then using NBA league pass mobile. It lets you set your location to some other city so you won't get blocked out since you are in Phoenix. I have recently done this (even though I don't live in the area) and it works great. The League Pass mobile lets you watch either team's broadcast, and also provides a full game summary/condensed view to watch a few hours after the game ends. It is usually around 10 minutes long or so, and cuts out plays where not much happens. So in a game like the Pels one, there is almost no Suns action in it...

Indy

Post by Indy »

I should have added that I think I had a bug in the league pass mobile when I bought it through the Apple App Store, since I was able to buy the full season, single team, for 17.99. That is usually the monthly price, instead of the full year. But it worked anyway. And my VPN I paid for a full year (or two?) and it came out to about $8/month. You can also use it to change your location to other countries and watch streaming services you pay for, but get different titles (but be careful, because Netflix has been very good at determining if you are using a VPN, and makes you shut it off before watching stuff if you use a cheaper VPN).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Thanks guys, this gives me some options when I finally do make the decision to cut the cord.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I watch League Pass though the NBA app on Roku, and I think it doesn't know where you live. My local team is never blacked out, though I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be.

Indy

Post by Indy »

weird, because when I signed up for it, it specifically said that it would block the local teams (and that is whether I used it through my ipad, my apple tv, or my PS4).

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:44 pm
weird, because when I signed up for it, it specifically said that it would block the local teams (and that is whether I used it through my ipad, my apple tv, or my PS4).
Yeah, I got the same warning, and since I'm not a big Jazz fan I wasn't too concerned. But everytime I switch to the Jazz game, it's available.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Good to know. I am right between the Pistons and the Bulls, so I was lucky enough to get two teams they warn me about blocking...

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Decided to get a Roku and go with YouTube TV (since it carries Fox Sports Arizona).

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I may decided to go with League Pass at some point, but most likely not until next year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

let me know how it goes. I do league pass on direct tv, because on mobile I don't get the image quality and speed I want when fast forwarding through commericials, time outs, free throws. It takes a lot longer to watch a game that way.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I watched the Celtics-Heat game last night on my laptop last night and the picture was great. Of course I was watching it live and doing something else while watching the game so there wasn't any fast forwarding.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Youtube tv is great for that. I tried it out on their free trial and didn't have any complaints about it. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I am out of market so can't get suns games.

I wonder if I can use my VPN to make YouTube TV think I am based in Phoenix... hmmm. I need to try that after work today.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

/r/nbastreams is where it's at. Bought a new home and had to cut the cord on cable. YouTube TV was fantastic up until then. Only problem is you have to watch the streams live. Quality is great though. I usually watch from my phone.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea those streams are great. I keep forgetting they're there and usually miss the 1st qtr of Suns games. Getting used to it tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just can't watch the games live. Even if I miss 15-20 games a year due to travel/kids/life, that means to watch the other 60 games live, I need to spend 7 hours a week watching it. If I watch it recorded and skip time outs/commercials, half-time, and free throws, I can watch a full game in about an hour or 1:15. Then I can spend that other 1:15 bitching about our team here!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Also, if i time it right, I can catch up to live with about 3-5 minutes left in the game. Then I can interact with people live about the game (twitter, here).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, having to watch live would be a no go for me.
"Be Legendary."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm
Good to know. I am right between the Pistons and the Bulls, so I was lucky enough to get two teams they warn me about blocking...
Just a couple weeks ago, the Jazz games started to get blocked for me. So something changed such that they know where I'm watching from now.