Suns News: Week 7 11/26-12/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: Week 7 11/26-12/2

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:07 am
I generally don't trust HoopsHype, but if (big if) it's true then they weren't very serious about acquiring one. If the Bucks pick wasn't on the table with a player like Bender or Daniels then we were just messing around.
The key here is when did the Suns inquire about those player, because the MIL pick is obviously lower in value today than it was before the season started as not only the Bucks look stronger under Budenholzer, but BOS and PHI are underperforming.

I know that unless it is an allstar, a trade probably won't move the needle a lot in terms of wins and loses, but the internal dynamics of the team could be greatly impacted as we are truly desperate for someone who can do at least one and a half of a) help Booker carry the offense, b) feed Ayton and the people waiting at the three point line, c) defend the perimeter.

This could be the difference between getting blown out one out every three games and being competitive on a consistent basis, even if we still end up looking at the top of the draft (btw, we are not the worst anymore as ATL now has a worse point differential than PHX). Making that jump as soon as possible is a must as things have been way worse than even the most pessimistic people entertained.

So I'd be much more inclined to put the MIL pick on the table now for a guy like Dinwiddie, Joseph or Lin (Beverly is shooting too poorly and is not a playmaker for others). Would also love if Teodosic was released.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I have to ask: is Isiah Cannan worse than Marcus Banks?

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

carey wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm
Apparently they were looking...but second round picks only? Really? Half baked...

1https://hoopshype.com/storyline/spencer-dinwiddie-trade/

"In desperate need of a point guard, Phoenix reportedly also expressed interest in Patrick Beverly of the Los Angeles Clippers, Cory Joseph of the Indiana Pacers and Spencer Dinwiddie of the Brooklyn Nets. The problem is the Suns were only shopping second-round picks for the point guards."
I generally don't trust HoopsHype, but if (big if) it's true then they weren't very serious about acquiring one. If the Bucks pick wasn't on the table with a player like Bender or Daniels then we were just messing around.

What bothers me some is that they see the numbers on how bad Canaan has been but have literally tried nothing else. Use our open roster spot & start bringing in other G-League guys if you don't think Okobo/Melton are ready for playing time. Take a look at Demetrius Jackson (currently averaging 27/8/4.5 on 49/37) or Briante Weber (17/6/6 on excellent percentages.)

Our boy Big Sauce is averaging 21 & 13 down there. I hope someone brings him back up to the league. He's an NBA player.
Archie Goodwin is still a free agent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 am
I have to ask: is Isiah Cannan worse than M****s B***s?
NO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm
Apparently they were looking...but second round picks only? Really? Half baked...

1https://hoopshype.com/storyline/spencer-dinwiddie-trade/

"In desperate need of a point guard, Phoenix reportedly also expressed interest in Patrick Beverly of the Los Angeles Clippers, Cory Joseph of the Indiana Pacers and Spencer Dinwiddie of the Brooklyn Nets. The problem is the Suns were only shopping second-round picks for the point guards."

What bothers me some is that they see the numbers on how bad Canaan has been but have literally tried nothing else. Use our open roster spot & start bringing in other G-League guys if you don't think Okobo/Melton are ready for playing time. Take a look at Demetrius Jackson (currently averaging 27/8/4.5 on 49/37) or Briante Weber (17/6/6 on excellent percentages.)

Our boy Big Sauce is averaging 21 & 13 down there. I hope someone brings him back up to the league. He's an NBA player.
Demetrius Jackson is on a two-way deal with philly. Alan Williams also signed a two-way contract. We can’t just pick those guys up. We could give Juwan Evans a shot.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:10 am
carey wrote:
The key here is when did the Suns inquire about those player, because the MIL pick is obviously lower in value today than it was before the season started as not only the Bucks look stronger under Budenholzer, but BOS and PHI are underperforming.

I know that unless it is an allstar, a trade probably won't move the needle a lot in terms of wins and loses, but the internal dynamics of the team could be greatly impacted as we are truly desperate for someone who can do at least one and a half of a) help Booker carry the offense, b) feed Ayton and the people waiting at the three point line, c) defend the perimeter.

This could be the difference between getting blown out one out every three games and being competitive on a consistent basis, even if we still end up looking at the top of the draft (btw, we are not the worst anymore as ATL now has a worse point differential than PHX). Making that jump as soon as possible is a must as things have been way worse than even the most pessimistic people entertained.

So I'd be much more inclined to put the MIL pick on the table now for a guy like Dinwiddie, Joseph or Lin (Beverly is shooting too poorly and is not a playmaker for others). Would also love if Teodosic was released.
I just can't handle watching another 3/4 of the season with us playing well to start the game and then dropping like a rock as soon as Canaan and the bench come in. I need a move, however small or big, just for the sake of having a watchable product.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am surprised he said that out loud. And there is no way with our old arena and facilities that we could do that. We just likely can't afford to have a payroll into the super tax area.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And you might need to show you can win more than 25% of your games before that happens...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"I'd like to marry a supermodel. I'd like the supermodel to come to me."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 pm
Yeah. The supermodel would come to Book.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:01 pm
Yeah. The supermodel would come to Book.
I see what you did there.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Love that quote but it's hard to recruit when we're a garbage organization and players know it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk if this falls into Suns news, but I bought and sent a tshirt to TJ that I was just notified it was delivered today.

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/35139 ... _id=127310
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Demetrius Jackson is on a two-way deal with philly. Alan Williams also signed a two-way contract. We can’t just pick those guys up. We could give Juwan Evans a shot.
Thank you so much for correcting me, Split. I don't know how to read the G-League statistics site. I thought it said Undrafted for Jackson which meant he wasn't on a contract with anyone but I guess it just means if he was drafted or not, the other stuff just isn't listed. Philly sure has a lot of PG options. I think Evans suffers from Ulis' problem of being too short?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:56 pm
Idk if this falls into Suns news, but I bought and sent a tshirt to TJ that I was just notified it was delivered today.

I wonder if he’ll think to tweet a picture of himself wearing it. That would be pretty awesome.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I wonder if he’ll think to tweet a picture of himself wearing it. That would be pretty awesome.
That would be cool.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Thank you so much for correcting me, Split. I don't know how to read the G-League statistics site. I thought it said Undrafted for Jackson which meant he wasn't on a contract with anyone but I guess it just means if he was drafted or not, the other stuff just isn't listed. Philly sure has a lot of PG options. I think Evans suffers from Ulis' problem of being too short?
Ya I just googled him because I was curious. His numbers are real impressive.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm
Kevin Durant is coming to Phoenix. Book it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:31 pm
Kevin Durant is coming to Phoenix.
On New Year’s Eve, and again on February 8th.