Midterm Elections

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Midterm Elections

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 pm
I think some of the Trump Bump dropped off when everybody realized that the companies were just going to use it on stock buybacks.
He "ran" the American economy like a ponzi scheme, which isn't surprising at all for those of us who already knew he's a crook and a conman.
I think even the people that support him and voted for him know he is that way; they just expected him to pull off those things in favor of America.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:21 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 pm
I think some of the Trump Bump dropped off when everybody realized that the companies were just going to use it on stock buybacks.
He "ran" the American economy like a ponzi scheme, which isn't surprising at all for those of us who already knew he's a crook and a conman.
I think even the people that support him and voted for him know he is that way; they just expected him to pull off those things in favor of America.
Nope, it's all about him.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I agree--I just think he was able to con enough people to make them think it was about them. You know, the same thing he has done for a long, long time, starting with conning his own dad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Are you guys following this North Carolina 9th District election fraud story? It looks like the GOP candidate and his campaign have been paying people bribes to fraudulently take people's votes and either throw them away or fill them out with votes for that candidate. He won by around 900 votes and they think he may literally have won only because of rampant election fraud. They even have some of the election workers on tape admitting that they were paid to go door to door rounding up absentee / mail ballots from voters and deliver them to the GOP campaign office. It's a big mess. They may need to redo the entire election because of it or invalidate the result.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... h-district

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And of course, the President and many other prominent GOP members have been so upset about their claims of massive voter fraud, including being mad that California took a while to completely legally count all of its ballots. But they don't say a peep about this when it happens to be the Republican who is trying to cheat to win the election. Hmm, interesting, that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Voter fraud is unacceptable.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Voter fraud is unacceptable.
The sticklers are pointing out that this NC-09 thing is election fraud, not voter fraud. There is almost zero occurrence of voter fraud in this country supported by any evidence.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... o-election
“Instead of supporting a thorough investigation, Republicans are attacking a state board that they themselves created in an attempt to obfuscate and distract from what’s happening in 9th Congressional District,” Goodwin said.

“Republicans requested to keep the current board in place, but as evidence of wrongdoing are mounting day by day, they no longer want this board to investigate.”

“Bladen County has had a long history of absentee ballot fraud,” said state Sen. Tommy Tucker (R). “If Republicans committed fraud, they need to be held accountable. We need to hold our own accountable.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That last massive tax cut we had raised the debt by 2 trillion dollars. 84% of it went to the richest top one % of Americans. We were told it would stimulate the economy. The stock market has gone off a cliff since then. Just sayin...

Republicans are now blaming Democrats because they won seats in the House and will have the majority. Those Dems don’t even take office until January and they are already being blamed for the stock market crashing. A little thin if you ask me.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Doesn't matter. They'll scream long and loud that it's the Dems fault and those watching Fox News will buy it. More and more tho, it's getting harder to defend Trump when people like Kelly and Mattis are jumping ship and he can't replace them with anyone worthwhile. Only so many times you can point the finger and blame others.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm staying at my in-laws', and they have Fox News on 24/7 on their living room TV, turned up loud. It's just a part of their culture, part of their life. They don't blame Trump for anything. They keep parrotting talking points that they clearly heard on Fox, such as, they claim that there are old video clips of Democrats saying they want a border wall. "But now that Trump is President, they don't want it! They just don't want another Trump win!" etc. There's no reasoning with them.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:40 am
I'm staying at my in-laws', and they have Fox News on 24/7 on their living room TV, turned up loud. It's just a part of their culture, part of their life. They don't blame Trump for anything. They keep parrotting talking points that they clearly heard on Fox, such as, they claim that there are old video clips of Democrats saying they want a border wall. "But now that Trump is President, they don't want it! They just don't want another Trump win!" etc. There's no reasoning with them.
I’m sorry you have to deal with that. The holiday get togethers should be a politics-free zone. Don’t engage.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:40 am
To be honest, I couldn’t care any less about the wall one way or the other but, find my self pulling against the wall just because Trump wants it so bad and swore up down and sideways that Mexico would pay for it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There isn't a great thread for this, but North Carolina is holding two special elections today, for their 3rd and 9th districts for the US House. The 9th had to be re-run because the previous GOP candidate and his staff engaged in blatant election fraud, gathering up unused absentee ballots and filling them in with his name to stuff the box. That candidate is not part of this current election.

As I write this, the GOP candidate Bishop holds a lead of a few thousand votes, 50.5% to 48.9%, with 79% of precincts reporting. Will be watching as the night unfolds.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Update: The GOP candidate won the NC 9th district election by roughly 2%. The GOP candidate also won the redder 3rd district by a wider margin. Republicans 2-for-2 in these special elections.