Game Day: Suns (10-32) @ Mavericks (18-22), Wed 1/9/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (10-32) @ Mavericks (18-22), Wed 1/9/19

Post by ShelC »

I'm not asking for Igor to show anyone up but I'd like to see some signs of life. TJ took a hard foul early in the game last night and no call. It's out of hand. I get he's not a super demonstrative guy but he's almost too cool and laid back. You gotta politic and play the game during the game. The refs are terrible and unless a coach makes a point of something, they're not going to adjust in-game themselves.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 am
The way the refs call our games is a joke. I mentioned it last week but Igor needs to lose his s*** at some point and get tossed or fined after a game calling out the refs. Or the FO needs to put a call into the league and send over examples of the refs screwing us.
What front office staff? They fired everyone

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am
ShelC wrote:
The way the refs call our games is a joke. I mentioned it last week but Igor needs to lose his s*** at some point and get tossed or fined after a game calling out the refs. Or the FO needs to put a call into the league and send over examples of the refs screwing us.
What front office staff? They fired everyone
AND didn't replace them.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 am
ShelC wrote:
rookie head coaches on awful teams can't show up the refs. It would be like Ayton yelling at the refs all game like the Warriors do. You can't do that when you suck or are a rookie. It won't go well.
A good reason why you shouldn’t hire rookie head coaches just because you’re too cheap and/or too micromanaging to get an experienced one to come work for you (Mike Budenholzer as just one example).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:58 pm
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
rookie head coaches on awful teams can't show up the refs. It would be like Ayton yelling at the refs all game like the Warriors do. You can't do that when you suck or are a rookie. It won't go well.
A good reason why you shouldn’t hire rookie head coaches just because you’re too cheap and/or too micromanaging to get an experienced one to come work for you (Mike Budenholzer as just one example).
But do you think he would have come here, even if we paid him what he is getting now? I don't. Sarver's reputation precedes him. You know the saying that people leave bosses, not jobs. Same is true for choosing your job. If you know the boss is a dick/micromanager/meddler, you would rather make less working somewhere else. Sarver gets a lot of flack for not hiring experienced, well-respected folks to run the Suns, but maybe he just can't convince anyone to work for him besides the guys that are young/inexperieced and have something to prove before a good team will hire them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:30 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
But do you think he would have come here, even if we paid him what he is getting now? I don't. Sarver's reputation precedes him. You know the saying that people leave bosses, not jobs. Same is true for choosing your job. If you know the boss is a dick/micromanager/meddler, you would rather make less working somewhere else. Sarver gets a lot of flack for not hiring experienced, well-respected folks to run the Suns, but maybe he just can't convince anyone to work for him besides the guys that are young/inexperieced and have something to prove before a good team will hire them.
I think money was the reason coach Bud didn't take the job here. He was here for two days and met with Sarver throughout. He also knew what he was getting in to before coming for his visit. I think they ended the visit with the negotiation and they must have been miles apart for how definite the news he wasn't taking the job was.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:30 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Agreed. What I was saying it that it’s either money or his micromanaging reputation, or both. It would help if he would admit his mistakes and let potential GM or coaching hires know that he will let them do their job and that he is done micromanaging.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ages of last night's starters for the Suns - Ayton - 20, Warren - 25, Bridges - 22, Melton - 20, Jackson - 21 - with a combined 5 years of NBA experience (4 of which belongs to Warren. Waiting in the wings were - Okobo - 21, Holmes - 25, and Oubre - 23. (and we're not even mentioning Booker - 22 or Bender - 21)

And we wonder why there's no consistency.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm
Ages of last night's starters for the Suns - Ayton - 20, Warren - 25, Bridges - 22, Melton - 20, Jackson - 21 - with a combined 5 years of NBA experience (4 of which belongs to Warren. Waiting in the wings were - Okobo - 21, Holmes - 25, and Oubre - 23. (and we're not even mentioning Booker - 22 or Bender - 21)

And we wonder why there's no consistency.
Not to mention no consistency in the FO or coaching staff either.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Didn't Bud want to be the GM or have a say in roster moves? I thought that was part of it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 am
Didn't Bud want to be the GM or have a say in roster moves? I thought that was part of it.
I think having his pick of the litter and being able to choose Giannis was really the biggest factor. How do you not choose him over ANYONE?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 am
Well considering we now have no GM, that might have been useful actually.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 am
Igor's style is to not be confrontational towards the refs during the game, but is this a passive-aggressive swipe at them afterwards?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"Defending the free-throw game" is a funny euphemism.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:46 pm
Kleber is giving them good minutes. I wouldn't be mad at us trying to steal him from the Mavs this summer.
I've been thinking the same thing. He has been a plus defender and he has 3-point range. Seems like he could be a nice complement to Ayton.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:50 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:46 pm
Kleber is giving them good minutes. I wouldn't be mad at us trying to steal him from the Mavs this summer.
I've been thinking the same thing. He has been a plus defender and he has 3-point range. Seems like he could be a nice complement to Ayton.
He isn't a great rebounder, but he is much better than anyone on our team that doesn't play center. Is he unrestricted? I would much rather have him than Oubre if they are even close to the same salary/years. We have 4 more years of TJ's contract, and I would assume we have seen enough flashes out of JJ where we will pick up his 4th year. We don't need another guy that is between TJ and JJ. Let's address an actual need.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

26 years old, unrestricted, bouncy and can mix it up inside on defense. Surprising shotblocker. Something tells me it'd be tough to get him away from the Mavs.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think it all depends on what the Mavs want to do in free agency. If they are going big fish hunting, the Suns can easily steal him by offering him a deal at the very beginning of free agency.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haven’t watched much of kleber, he had a great game against us, but I don’t know that I’d move away from Oubre for him. I like Oubre and would like to keep him. Our 4 SF’s are a bit of a dilemma at times, but as Bridges, Jackson, and Oubre add strength they’ll be more capable of defending the 4.

I’d keep Oubre unless we can add a real difference maker at the 4 in FA. I’d probably just use our pick to draft a 4 and bring him along slowly. Deandre Hunter and Brandon Clarke are my early favorites.