Midwest living

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
jonh

Midwest living

Post by jonh »

I know that people on here live across the country, so I figured I would ask for some help--

My wife and I (and our 2 daughters) have been living out in South Carolina the last 5 years. I am finishing up my PhD program this spring, and we got a job at the University of Nebraska beginning in June. I've never lived in the midwest, and am not sure really what to prepare for in life in the prairie. I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences on:

(a) cars
(b) clothing
(c) recreational activities
(d) Winters
(e) anything else you think would be important to know

Indy

Re: Midwest living

Post by Indy »

After living ~35 years in AZ, with a brief couple of years in FL, here are my thoughts after moving to the midwest (Western Michigan) about 2.5 years ago:

a) Don't get a white car, and make sure it has all-wheel drive and remote start.
b) I never knew how many layers of clothes I would need--and don't by any 'winter' clothes before moving. What you will get in South Carolina will not be effective. I didn't realize that either.
c) I live in a small city (~350k people) and we are frustrated by the lack of opportunities for things like shopping, dining, entertainment. But the out-door activities are pretty great in the summer.
d) Fuck
e) The people in the midwest seem extremely friendly. It kind of weirds me out. I'll be honest that I am not sure how friendly they would be if I weren't a white guy, or if they knew my religious beliefs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

a) Your car will have to have an engine block heater for the winter. Also, if you don't already have one, you may want to get an automatic remote starter to heat your car prior to you getting in.
b) clothing will be pretty much the same as anywhere in the US, except it you may want it to be a little warmer. I guess it depends on what your interests are and I'm sure your daughters will develop their own style to fit in with whatever group of friends and interests they have.
c) All types of recreational activities, really depends on what you and your family enjoy doing and where you are living. Usually the schools are a little smaller for the most part and although you'll have the University of Nebraska with all kinds of sports and entertainment there, the schools are very much big on participation in school activities.
d) Winters will be a change, it gets cold and you will have to adjust to driving in snow and ice.
e) The people/neighbors tend to be very nice, friendly and helpful. Although, like everywhere you could find some disgruntled people. May depend on where you will be living. Lincoln I'm guessing? It's usually very nice for raising a family.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm
After living ~35 years in AZ, with a brief couple of years in FL, here are my thoughts after moving to the midwest (Western Michigan) about 2.5 years ago:

a) Don't get a white car, and make sure it has all-wheel drive and remote start.
b) I never knew how many layers of clothes I would need--and don't by any 'winter' clothes before moving. What you will get in South Carolina will not be effective. I didn't realize that either.
c) I live in a small city (~350k people) and we are frustrated by the lack of opportunities for things like shopping, dining, entertainment. But the out-door activities are pretty great in the summer.
d) f***
e) The people in the midwest seem extremely friendly. It kind of weirds me out. I'll be honest that I am not sure how friendly they would be if I weren't a white guy, or if they knew my religious beliefs.
This is excellent--my wife just picked out a white sienna (front-wheel drive). :lol:
I think Lincoln is about that same size (250k)--we figured that the main source of entertainment is probably going to come from activities around the school (either sports or in the arenas/stadium).
Are the winters really that bad? If you have kids (or know someone with kids), what in the world do you do with them when it is that cold outside?
Yeah, thats good to know how friendly they are (and your concern about what if you didn't share their views). On my flight in for the job talk, the lady sitting next to me was a pretty staunch Trump supporter (she was pretty outspoken about her political views), and I wondered what would have happened if I had shared my opinion.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm

d) f***
This is excellent--my wife just picked out a white sienna (front-wheel drive). :lol:
I think Lincoln is about that same size (250k)--we figured that the main source of entertainment is probably going to come from activities around the school (either sports or in the arenas/stadium).
Are the winters really that bad? If you have kids (or know someone with kids), what in the world do you do with them when it is that cold outside?
Yeah, thats good to know how friendly they are (and your concern about what if you didn't share their views). On my flight in for the job talk, the lady sitting next to me was a pretty staunch Trump supporter (she was pretty outspoken about her political views), and I wondered what would have happened if I had shared my opinion.
We bought a FWD white Pilot about 18 months before we moved and I bought a white Accord about 6 months earlier. We both changed. :)

Yes the winters suck. I haven't looked at Lincoln, but last week here it was -45 wind chill. It warmed up and today it was -15 windchill. If it is that low, we don't really do much outside. But when it is 10 or higher, you can pretty much do anything you normally would, just with more clothes. It didn't take too long to adjust. When I was in AZ, I would say anything from about 40 to 85 was jeans and hoodie weather. Now I say that for about 15 to 75.

I'll be honest that you will have to fight to expose your kids to a diverse world. It was shocking to me how little there is.

jonh

Post by jonh »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm
a) Your car will have to have an engine block heater for the winter. Also, if you don't already have one, you may want to get an automatic remote starter to heat your car prior to you getting in.
b) clothing will be pretty much the same as anywhere in the US, except it you may want it to be a little warmer. I guess it depends on what your interests are and I'm sure your daughters will develop their own style to fit in with whatever group of friends and interests they have.
c) All types of recreational activities, really depends on what you and your family enjoy doing and where you are living. Usually the schools are a little smaller for the most part and although you'll have the University of Nebraska with all kinds of sports and entertainment there, the schools are very much big on participation in school activities.
d) Winters will be a change, it gets cold and you will have to adjust to driving in snow and ice.
e) The people/neighbors tend to be very nice, friendly and helpful. Although, like everywhere you could find some disgruntled people. May depend on where you will be living. Lincoln I'm guessing? It's usually very nice for raising a family.
Do you use the engine block heater if you have a garage (or only when you leave the house during the day?) I'll need to look into getting an automatic remote starter--should have just installed it when we got our most recent car.
For recreation out in SC, we have enjoyed going to the beach whenever possible--obviously we will make an adjustment in Nebraska. It sounds like we might start doing more trail running/biking? It'll be interesting to see how we figure that one out.
It doesn't snow as much in Lincoln as I thought (only about 25 inches of snow a year)--maybe ice will be a bigger problem in driving than snow.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Honestly, snow driving is easy. ice driving fucking sucks!

Indy

Post by Indy »

And the engine block heater might be something you should dig into a bit. It gets pretty cold here, and I park outside, and I have never had a problem starting my car. But I know in the Fargos and Buttes of the country they need it. Doesn't seem like Lincoln gets that cold.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Yeah, Ill need to look into it--I hear it can get pretty cold, but I am not sure what its like in relation to Fargo.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I was just looking it up, and this is what I found: https://weatherspark.com/y/8993/Average ... Year-Round

Looks like it is rare fo the low to be below zero (like below the 10/90th percentile bands).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Reading this has been interesting as I have lived on the West Coast my entire life. The lack of diversity explains a lot as to why a lot of the country may fear people that are different from them and they may make a lot of assumptions about them from afar.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm
Reading this has been interesting as I have lived on the West Coast my entire life. The lack of diversity explains a lot as to why a lot of the country may fear people that are different from them and they may make a lot of assumptions about them from afar.
Completely agree. It is innate to fear difference. Millions of years of survival of the fittest made you stick with your "own kind" so you were protected from "others." The more you are around people of all different looks and beliefs, the less "other" they are, and the more we can just focus on getting closer to a united world.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm
Completely agree. It is innate to fear difference. Millions of years of survival of the fittest made you stick with your "own kind" so you were protected from "others." The more you are around people of all different looks and beliefs, the less "other" they are, and the more we can just focus on getting closer to a united world.
+1,000,000 + Infinity
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What's it called when you have a preconceived judgment or opinion, or even an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:00 pm
What's it called when you have a preconceived judgment or opinion, or even an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge?
Ignorance?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:06 pm
In2ition wrote:
Ignorance?
I think the word he’s looking for is prejudice.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:06 pm
In2ition wrote:
Ignorance?
I think the word he’s looking for is prejudice.
Thanks Cap!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Where are you near in Western Michigan Indy? I have a good friend who lives in Zeeland that I visit sometimes. Only in the summer of course. I have fond memories of the Mid West. I was on the road in the 80’s-90’s in the Mid West. Cold sucks. I hate the cold. I am so gratefull my parents got a divorce when I was a baby. I might be living in ND and freezing my azz off on a tractor or an oil rig otherwise.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 pm
Where are you near in Western Michigan Indy? I have a good friend who lives in Zeeland that I visit sometimes. Only in the summer of course. I have fond memories of the Mid West. I was on the road in the 80’s-90’s in the Mid West. Cold sucks. I hate the cold. I am so gratefull my parents got a divorce when I was a baby. I might be living in ND and freezing my azz off on a tractor or an oil rig otherwise.
I live in the Kalamazoo area. It is about an hour from Zeeland. Yes, winters here suck. Much more so than summers in Phoenix. Let me know next time you are in this area.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I will Indy. Not until it warms up of course.

I had a gal in Kalamazoo..