Government shutdown

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Government shutdown

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:14 pm
There are still a lot of people who don't pay attention to politics. But it's never been easier to be informed and keep up on issues. At university I see so many younguns who know all about complex things like marginal tax rates, superdelegates, climate policy, Israel/Palestine, Syria, guns, and many other issues.
This seems silly. The average young adult is hardly equivalent to a Stanford student. It's like saying all cars nowadays will drive right to you or park themselves, when you only drive a Tesla.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is a fair point. I felt that I saw it a lot at U of Washington, too, and to some degree at the U of A. But Stanford kids are hardly median college students, I totally agree.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think college students have always been more engaged in politics than the average Joe. If you grow up in North Dakota and work on a farm or on an oil rig there is a real good chance you watch FOX News like 90% of your family and friends do and don’t know anymore than the FOX talking points. If you go to Stanford you probably know a lot more about civics and the inner workings of the government and are more likely to be a Democrat.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It looks like they have reached a tentative budget deal to avoid a shutdown. No funding for the wall. Does include $1.3b for border security, including some 55 miles of fencing. Thoughts?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/ ... ty-1163824

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump said he is not happy with it but nonetheless is spinning it as a win at the same time and I am happy with that. If we could move on to something important next instead of this wall BS I would be happy. Then again the next emergency would probably end up being abortion, which is even further down my list of important things we need to address.