Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 18 2/11-2/17

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm
I realize we don't know. That is the point. Nobody knows because he has never tried before. If I were running a billion dollar business, I would have at least one person on my staff that has a good track record of building teams. S/he may not have to be the boss, but they would be there. We don't have that. Hell, we don't have much of a staff left either. We are running a billion dollar business with mostly open roles and inexperienced people. We just did this Watson as coach, and a ton of other guys at PG. It usually doesn't end well when you expect world-class performance from inexperienced people.
It really is insane and infuriating.
indeed. and you know what, you don't have to be good to make sure your investment keeps growing. It is like buying real estate in the bay area. It doesn't matter if you put no effort into upkeep, much less improvement. Just keep sitting on it, while collecting more rent than it costs, and you will be able to see it for a huge profit when you decide to do it.

It is so frustrating that he can ruin the team we spent most of our lives supporting, and will still make out with ~$1B in profit when he sells. Or more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:30 pm
I realize we don't know. That is the point. Nobody knows because he has never tried before. If I were running a billion dollar business, I would have at least one person on my staff that has a good track record of building teams. S/he may not have to be the boss, but they would be there. We don't have that. Hell, we don't have much of a staff left either. We are running a billion dollar business with mostly open roles and inexperienced people. We just did this Watson as coach, and a ton of other guys at PG. It usually doesn't end well when you expect world-class performance from inexperienced people.
I agree with this. We don’t know if James Jones is good or not. I don’t know that anyone has said he’s a good GM. My comments are directed at the posters who have called him a joke and label him a bad GM. We simply just don’t know that. It’s just assumptions based on past experience. the situations around the hirings of Watson and jones are similar, and that definitely doesn’t inspire confidence, but I’m not going to call jones a bad gm because Watson was a bad coach. I’ll let his actions alone determine that.

If we decide to go out and hire an experienced GM this summer, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. I do think that’s the right move. I just feel like the one person we can make assumptions about is Sarver, and history tells us he’s going to hire Jones as the full time GM. Under that assumption, I’ll hold my criticisms of Jones until he actually does something bad.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Said it before and I'll say it again: Sarver loves to hire inexperienced people, partly because they will accept low-ball salary offers, and partly because he hopes to be able to exert his meddlesome influence on them. Bad on both counts.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Suns plan to sign Ray Spalding to a 10 day contract. Anyone know the guy?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

gosuns wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 am
I've played with his basketballs.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am
gosuns wrote:

TMI
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Said it before and I'll say it again: Sarver loves to hire inexperienced people, partly because they will accept low-ball salary offers, and partly because he hopes to be able to exert his meddlesome influence on them. Bad on both counts.
Absolutely true. I think the low salary part might just be an added benefit, but I agree 100% about his wanting inexperienced people who will let him meddle.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 pm
Absolutely true. I think the low salary part might just be an added benefit, but I agree 100% about his wanting inexperienced people who will let him meddle.
Do you think it is about letting him meddle, or just one he can bully?

I am not concerned with an owner that wants to have a say in things. I think they have that right as the CEO. But when the CEO hires people that are not experienced, I see it as a sign that they want to be able to run roughshod over them. Maybe it seems like semantics, but he seems like the latter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I accept that framing. I think it's a little of both. Sarver wants to have a seat at the table and be able to give input on decisions. He probably doesn't perceive this as "meddling" or "bullying", just that he owns the team, he pays hundreds of millions of dollars for that, so why can't he even have a voice on big decisions? But in effect he isn't giving his basketball people autonomy to make decisions that they feel are best for the franchise without Bobby Saver peering over their shoulder.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

gosuns wrote:
He's an offensively limited rookie PF at 6'10'' 225. Judging by the little playing time they gave Emmanuel Terry (who I thought looked good in his few minutes) they won't be giving this guy much of a shot either. He is simply there for practice and so they don't incur a fine for not having enough people on the roster.

Still not sure why George King is taking up a roster spot. They clearly have no interest in playing him in the NBA.

Also, why is Troy Daniels still on the team? I can't believe he wouldn't prefer a fresh start somewhere else.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

How does it benefit us to release Daniels? He may prefer to play elsewhere, but he’s under contract. He’s a free agent this summer, I’m sure he’ll look elsewhere.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am
gosuns wrote:
Speaking of balls...We allready have Melton’s Molten’s on our Team...

Split T

Post by Split T »

TJ Warren still out with injury for tomorrow’s game. I think I’m done with him. I love that he figured out how to shoot, but he provides no defense, no rebounding, no playmaking, and he’s always hurt. He’s got value, but I’d trade him this offseason for something more useful. I don’t think he makes sense next to Booker-Ayton.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm
TJ Warren still out with injury for tomorrow’s game. I think I’m done with him. I love that he figured out how to shoot, but he provides no defense, no rebounding, no playmaking, and he’s always hurt. He’s got value, but I’d trade him this offseason for something more useful. I don’t think he makes sense next to Booker-Ayton.
He and Bridges are the only Suns who kinda consistently hit 3s. I wouldn’t give that up and rather trade Jackson or let Oubre walk.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well you’d definitely want to add more shooting, but I’d rather add a shooter that does something else too. Like rebound, defend, or pass. If we could get a pg that can hit a 3 and run the offense, I’d take that over Warren.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He doesn't fit well with Ayton-Booker at the 4, but he is really good at the 3. You just need the right 4 to play with them.

We blame him for not playing good defense when he is better at it than either Booker or Ayton, but we are saying he is the problem.

But if we are going to exclusively play him as a 4 like we have this year, we need to move him. We can't win the battles in the paint playing 3 wings with Ayton.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:43 pm
He doesn't fit well with Ayton-Booker at the 4, but he is really good at the 3. You just need the right 4 to play with them.

We blame him for not playing good defense when he is better at it than either Booker or Ayton, but we are saying he is the problem.

But if we are going to exclusively play him as a 4 like we have this year, we need to move him. We can't win the battles in the paint playing 3 wings with Ayton.
I think we've established Booker and Ayton as our core moving forward. Anybody we surround them with has to cover up their weaknesses. TJ doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in that regard. He's got to go.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:TJ Warren still out with injury for tomorrow’s game. I think I’m done with him. I love that he figured out how to shoot, but he provides no defense, no rebounding, no playmaking, and he’s always hurt. He’s got value, but I’d trade him this offseason for something more useful. I don’t think he makes sense next to Booker-Ayton.
I think it will be a constant issue throughout Warren's career. He makes a lot of baskets but shoots them from weird angles and is always falling down. It takes a toll as we've already seen.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I can live with Booker and Ayton not being great at defense. A score-only SF slotted in at PF making 12mil who regularly misses like 20 games a year when we have 3 other SFs on the roster? Move his ass.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Yea I can live with Booker and Ayton not being great at defense. A score-only SF slotted in at PF making 12mil who regularly misses like 20 games a year when we have 3 other SFs on the roster? Move his ass.
Yep exactly how I feel.