Around the League: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:12 pm
The L.A. Tankers have shelved LeBron for the rest of the season to allow his groin to fully heal.
To any fool who thinks Lebron is the greatest player in NBA history: I humbly submit this season as one of the many exhibits showing that he is not. (See also: winning only 3-of-9 in the Finals, etc.)

Split T

Post by Split T »

They had the 4th seed when he got hurt...fell completely out of the playoffs without him. Also he’s in his mid 30’s. This season doesn’t change my opinion about Lebron at all.

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. No wonder they suddenly let him go.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:34 pm
carey wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:12 pm
The L.A. Tankers have shelved LeBron for the rest of the season to allow his groin to fully heal.
To any fool who thinks Lebron is the greatest player in NBA history: I humbly submit this season as one of the many exhibits showing that he is not. (See also: winning only 3-of-9 in the Finals, etc.)
I can't stand him, but he's on a pretty short list of candidates - Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Russell, Jordan, Magic, Bird, LeBron. I'd probably put him ahead of Shaq, Kobe, West, Baylor, Olajuwon, Robertson, Moses and Duncan. And I don't see anybody else I would consider.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I have a hard time seeing how Lebron could be anywhere but top 2...Really kind of an impossible comparison to make with the Wilt/Russell era..just too different of an era. Post merger I’d say it’s MJ, Lebron, Magic, Bird, and Kareem.

Lebron has been as good or better than bird/magic for longer. Kareem has an argument. So hard to compare a big to a wing though. And then of course Jordan.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think LeBron is the best overall top to bottom basketball player I've ever seen. I'd still take Jordan and Magic over him to start a franchise though.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dumb that Duke didn’t go to Zion more in that game. Also, their horrible, thrown away entry passes to him reminded me of the Suns to Ayton. That’s gotta get fixed next year. Especially when we have to feed both Ayton AND Zion.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 pm
Dumb that Duke didn’t go to Zion more in that game. Also, their horrible, thrown away entry passes to him reminded me of the Suns to Ayton. That’s gotta get fixed next year. Especially when we have to feed both Ayton AND Zion.
True, I thought the same thing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If we by some miracle get Zion, we will be completely unable to utilize both him and Ayton unless we get a huge upgrade at PG. I worry they'll go get Rozier and totally blow it as far as finding somebody who can run our offense and feed our big men.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. I'm not sure Zion by himself will automatically change a team's fortunes on his own. I think he'll need a PG to set him up and get him easy scores. He can be a big time impact player on both ends, just not sure he's going to be a go-to offensive guy on his own.

If we could add Zion with Booker and Ayton (and Oubre, etc) and then somehow deal for Conley? That'd be the kind of move I'd make.

That said, as a pure basketball fan, I think I'd want to see Zion on the Kings to pair with Fox. It'd be torture as a Suns fan, but seeing those two flying up and down the court with Hield on the perimeter would be fantastic basketball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kings will have like a 1% chance at Zion

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Kings already got their young PF in Bagley. If I were strictly voting on basketball fit, I'd put Zion on maybe the Hawks. What other lottery teams would he fit well?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am
The Kings already got their young PF in Bagley. If I were strictly voting on basketball fit, I'd put Zion on maybe the Hawks. What other lottery teams would he fit well?
You mean other than the obvious choice of the Suns? He could probably help any team.

I don't believe that the Kings have any chance to get Zion. I think if they get the #1 pick it goes to the Sixers.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea Hawks are the other team. Forgot about them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:02 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am
You mean other than the obvious choice of the Suns? He could probably help any team.

I don't believe that the Kings have any chance to get Zion. I think if they get the #1 pick it goes to the Sixers.
That’s right..I knew it was top 1 protected, but it’s protected for sixers, goes to Celtics otherwise

Split T

Post by Split T »

From a non suns standpoint

Trae and Zion could be fun

Zion with Markkanen would as well, the bulls really need guards though.

Don’t want him on Knicks or Cavs

Zion and JJJ make a great match!

Luka/Zion/KP is also fantastic.

Booker/Zion would be a lot of fun too.

Really, Zion fits nicely just about anywhere

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 am
From a non suns standpoint

Trae and Zion could be fun

Zion with Markkanen would as well, the bulls really need guards though.

Don’t want him on Knicks or Cavs

Zion and JJJ make a great match!

Luka/Zion/KP is also fantastic.

Booker/Zion would be a lot of fun too.

Really, Zion fits nicely just about anywhere
Yeah, I don't want to see Cleveland get Zion. I don't understand why the NBA seems to prop up Cleveland as this great place. In the 6 years that they missed the playoffs and were in the lottery, including the year that they won the lottery and got LeBron, they won the lottery 4 times. Are you F'n kidding me? Seems like the NBA artificially propping up the Cavs to me. Last year they almost won again, but the Suns lucked out(or not). Could you have imagined that the Cavs getting it 5 out of 7 years in the lottery? They shouldn't get the #1 pick again in the next 50 yrs if it was up to me...at least.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Who cares from a non-Suns perspective? I don't. If we don't get him, I hope the Knicks do and not for basketball reasons.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 am
Who cares from a non-Suns perspective? I don't. If we don't get him, I hope the Knicks do and not for basketball reasons.
I do care. I enjoy the nba from a league wide perspective. I don’t root for any other team besides the suns, but I like players to be in good situations. I like good players to be on good teams that fit their style and strengths. The league will be much better off if Zion lands in a good situation with players that fit around him. Him toiling on the Cavs for 8 years while they struggle to put anything resembling a good team around him is not ideal.