Suns News: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: Week 24 3/25-3/31

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Happy for Westphal, but I don't know if I agree with the HoF threshold lately. I heard Vlade Divac is also going to get in. To me that's exactly the sort of guy who shouldn't get in. He was never the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender. He was a solid center with a memorable personality, and he was a significant player in the NBA. He has also played internationally and worked in a front office. But none of it adds up to the Hall of Fame to me. I wish they would reserve the Hall for the truly great players.
Divac is going in from the international pool of players and coaches which is entirely separate from the U.S. pool.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:09 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:46 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Honestly might make more sense to operate as an over the cap team. We’d then have the full MLE which is more than 7.5 million. Depends where the pick lands though. If we’re not top 2 our space moves to 9-10 million and we’d have just over the MLE plus the room exception at 5-6 million.
We might win 20 games and you are talking about operating as an over the cap team.
It's more of a possibility than what one might think since cap management has not been great. Assuming you keep the high pick, it comes down to:

[~18M in cap space + Room MLE exception ($4.3M) - Oubre-Holmes ] vs [MLE ($9.1M) + BAE ($3.2M) + Oubre-Holmes]

Obviously you can go a ton of different routes, like dumping Warren/Jackson to create more cap space in scenario 1, and a lot will depend on where we pick in the draft, but basically that's the landscape of our offseason.
Luckily, we have a cap expert in Trevor Bukstein who from all accounts, knows his stuff.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mikal Bridges has been bad for about a month now.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Recognize the name...don’t know much about him. Thoughts?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:50 pm
Mikal Bridges has been bad for about a month now.
He's number two all-time for rookies steal to turnover ratio. Only Leonard is ahead of him.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm

I don't know much about him but a little name recognition like you. The best part is that he's not Kevin McHale. Oh, and he's got a nice smile.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looked up some stuff, He ran the hornets in the cp3 days, was pistons gm until this season..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Also from the article you posted:
Sarver has discussed with prospective job candidates a senior advising role that will allow interim GM James Jones to continue in a lead front-office capacity with decision-making power, league sources said. Jones had sat in on interviews, along with Arizona Cardinals All-Pro receiver Larry Fitzgerald, league sources said.
That's very interesting that Jones would remain GM with Bower in a senior advising role. I've got to say I like this a lot better than some of the alternatives I heard about such as McHale and Paxson.

There's also this:
Bower has been a well-respected executive in the league for two decades, earning praise for his organization and scouting acumen in 11 seasons as GM in Charlotte, New Orleans and Detroit. Van Gundy made final decisions on personnel in Detroit.

Bower helped lead Detroit back into the playoffs in 2015-16 for the first time in five years, and he helped engineer trades for All-Star Blake Griffin and point guard Reggie Jackson. Bower has led two NBA franchises -- New Orleans and Detroit -- out of the lottery and into the postseason as a GM.

He also worked in the NBA and college as a coach.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Barf if he’s behind the Reggie Jackson gross overpay. That would seal the deal on overpaying for Rozier.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why was Fitzgerald sitting in on interviews?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:53 pm
Yeah. Another weird development.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:52 pm
Barf if he’s behind the Reggie Jackson gross overpay. That would seal the deal on overpaying for Rozier.
He was the GM at the time, or at least had some role in the front office. However, van gundy was president of basketball operations, so who knows who was making the decisions.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Sarver and Fitz are buddies. Look for the new TV series on the USA network.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's done a good job identifying talent late in the draft I've heard.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The way I see it, Jeff Bower was essentially collateral damage for bringing in Dwane Casey as head coach. It's also a bit difficult to define the line between PoBO Stan Van Gundy and GM Jeff Bowers. After Van Gundy failed, the ownership wanted to go a new direction and I think part of the reason they were able to hire the reigning coach of the year was because they were giving him a lot of player personnel power, which meant Bowers was a goner.

The Pistons drafted poorly under him with exception to taking Spencer Dinwiddie in the second round right after he was brought into the organization in 2014. He missed big on Stanley Johnson (8th overall) in the 2015 draft, and picked Henry Ellinson (18th overall) in 2016, neither have ever really been significant NBA players. Luke Kennard (12th overall) in 2017 doesn't seem so bad until you realize that Donovan Mitchell went 13th. Oops.

His trades have been slightly better than his drafting, IMO. Probably his most significant deal involved Blake Griffin and Tobias Harris.

January 2018
LAC received: Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic and 2018 first round pick which ended up being 12th overall.
DET received: Blake Griffin, Brice Johnson, and Willie Reed

February 2016
ORL received: Ersan Ilyasova, Brandon Jennings
DET received: Tobias Harris

June 2015
MIL received: Caron Butler, Shawne Williams
DET received: Ersan Ilyasova

Detroit also helped facilitate some of the Suns self-inflicted wounds by taking Marcus Morris in a deal and being a part of the three-team deal that sent Isaiah Thomas to Boston. They later flipped Marcus Morris to Boston for Avery Bradley and a 2nd round pick.

The Pistons signings under Bower were about as bad as his drafting.

They went from the bottom third of the league in spending in the 2014-15 season to 13th in his first season the next year with deals including..

Reggie Jackson (5 years - $80 million) Not egregious considering some of the contracts we've seen given to "emerging" guards in the past. He still hasn't lived up to that contract.
Aron Baynes (3 years - $20 million) The deal was widely criticized as an overpay as Baynes was coming over from Australia at 28 years old. The Pistons dodged a small bullet when he opted out of the final year of the deal to become an unrestricted FA. Boston later signed him to a one year deal for about 66% of what he would've been owed by the Pistons.
Joel Anthony (2 years - $6.5 million) Not a ton of money, but they cut him a year later. He was washed when they signed him.

The Pistons player salary ballooned again the following season (2016-17), going up to 7th in the league without much to show for it on the court.

Andre Drummond (5 years - $130 million) I think Drummond is a good player, but that's a pretty bad deal in this version of the NBA.
John Leuer (4 years - $42 million) YIKES.
Boban Marjanovic (3 years - $21 million) That's a lot of money to give a guy who could barely stay on the court, and it's a bad sign when the Spurs are fine with letting another team sign one of their free agents. 9 times out of 10, that team is probably overpaying.
Ish Smith (3 years - $18 million) Ouch.

They moved down to 9th in the league in player salary the following season (2017-18), staying in the top third because of the poor signings the previous two seasons and limiting their trade flexibility.

Langston Galloway (3 years - $21 million) I guess when you have a chance to sign a fringe rotation player who's trending to be out of the league soon you have to do it?

That's my summary of the SVG/Jeff Bowers era of the Pistons. Poor drafting and player signings, but still managed to salvage a top 15 player in Blake Griffin by initially buying low on Tobias Harris. He's still better than Kevin McHale.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:

Is this like his draft day tweets...where “focused on” means it’s already a done deal? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:04 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm
Split T wrote:
Sarver and Fitz are buddies. Look for the new TV series on the USA network.
I guess Fitz is the only friend of his that can bring credibility into the room? :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm not a fan of Bower. I think his roster building was part of the reason Chris Paul forced his way out of New Orleans. If you're at all worried about Booker leaving I'd say be wary of this guy.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 pm
Split T wrote:

Is this like his draft day tweets...where “focused on” means it’s already a done deal? :P
That's the feeling I get.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

As per usual with Sarver, he'll be the top target until they start talking money.