Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Week 26 4/8-4/9

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

When JC made his exit, it wasn’t just surreal, it was traumatic.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
From the reporting, it sounds like that day will be the very next game.

carey

Post by carey »

On the newest episode of Solar Panel Espo goes into detail about Watson's firing. I think it's at the 25:00 mark. It's crazy Sarver asked Watson to fire Rich Paul just because Bledsoe asked for an extension 2 years early and bristled when Sarver said to wait until the end of the year (supposedly because of injury concerns.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well it does sound like there is some basis for Sarver asking Watson to find different representation as there does seem to be a rule that coaches and players shouldn’t have the same agents...I know we talked about it on here earlier.

I also think it’s important to note that Watson had started bad mouthing the front office in the locker room. At that point it’s a no brainer to fire him. The whole Sarver asking Watson to fire rich Paul was clearly not handled correctly. It’s just a weird story.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That kind of thing tends to happen when you have a bunch of amateurs and first timers in key positions. Watson was always FOS tho. Saw it coming a mile away with that idiot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It also explains to the "I don't want to be here." tweet. He knew about this, through his agent I'm sure.

I actually don't blame Sarver on this one. I don't think the coaches should have the same agents as the players, and there didn't need to be an extension on Bledsoe 2 yrs before he was up, since he was coming back from injury. This was a power play by Rich Paul and it hurt the Suns.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am
It also explains to the "I don't want to be here." tweet. He knew about this, through his agent I'm sure.

I actually don't blame Sarver on this one. I don't think the coaches should have the same agents as the players, and there didn't need to be an extension on Bledsoe 2 yrs before he was up, since he was coming back from injury. This was a power play by Rich Paul and it hurt the Suns.
And worked out pretty well for his client.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am

And worked out pretty well for his client.
No doubt. This was after they forced the Suns to bid against themselves too. I don't blame the Suns for steering clear of any Paul clients.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am
Cap wrote:
I was three years old when he was hired and 17 when he was fired. It was surreal. I just couldn’t conceive of the Suns not being coached by MacLeod. Joe Proski’s exit was also surreal. And leaving AVMC.

The day is going to come when I listen to a Suns game on the radio and the voice I hear will not be Al McCoy.
Wait...what reporting?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:

Then just go ahead and change the team name already. It’s not the Suns anymore.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Las Vegas Odds.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:

Wait...what reporting?
Scott Bordow had a great interview with/story about McCoy. In it, Al said that he would never say he was going to quit before he actually quits (because it wouldn't be right to do a swan song for one more season if he already made up his mind that he was going to retire, and the story would be more about him than the games he was calling). Al never said he called his last game, but he didn't sound enthusiastic about still doing this job.

I probably shouldn't read too much into it... but here is the opening to the piece. I would link to it but it is on the Athletic.

Al​ McCoy walks​ up​ to​ the​ table where​ I’m​ sitting​ inside​ the Suns​ media dining​ room.

“I​ have​ the​ last line of your​​ story for you,” he says.

He tells me that he’s been invited to be the grand marshal of the July 4 Celebration and Parade in his hometown of Williams, Iowa. Williams, population 600, McCoy reminds me, is where McCoy began his broadcasting career – sort of – calling imaginary games while sitting on the fence railing of his family’s farm.

I tell him it would be fitting if that’s where his career ended. He smiles and walks away.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Al is a legend. I haven’t heard him call a game in years because I tape the games and he’s not on TV anymore. I used to drive 2nd shift and listened to most of the games on the radio in the car. It was almost like being there. It sure did make the time go by faster.

The TJ thing is so bazaar. It was last year too. He has missed a lot of games under mysterious circumstances. Then again when he did play he was a total badazz IMO. His 3pt shooting improved a lot making him almost unguardable. People keep writing him off. I just know he will be on a playoff team playing a crucial role in the future like so many other Suns players have after we cast them aside as garbage and yet we still sit at the bottom of the league nowhere near the playoffs. I don’t know what or if he will be part of the Suns plans for the future and I am OK with trading him for pieces that fit our needs but, if I am another team looking for a scorer, he definitely fits the bill. He had a head injury and an ankle injury, not double knee replacements. I think he deserves a little more respect. Does he have mental issues? I have no idea. That seems to be speculation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm
Al is a legend. I haven’t heard him call a game in years because I tape the games and he’s not on TV anymore. I used to drive 2nd shift and listened to most of the games on the radio in the car. It was almost like being there. It sure did make the time go by faster.

The TJ thing is so bazaar. It was last year too. He has missed a lot of games under mysterious circumstances. Then again when he did play he was a total badazz IMO. His 3pt shooting improved a lot making him almost unguardable. People keep writing him off. I just know he will be on a playoff team playing a crucial role in the future like so many other Suns players have after we cast them aside as garbage and yet we still sit at the bottom of the league nowhere near the playoffs. I don’t know what or if he will be part of the Suns plans for the future and I am OK with trading him for pieces that fit our needs but, if I am another team looking for a scorer, he definitely fits the bill. He had a head injury and an ankle injury, not double knee replacements. I think he deserves a little more respect. Does he have mental issues? I have no idea. That seems to be speculation.
How many players have we gotten rid of/left and are now contributing to playoff teams? 5? 6? it is more than it should be.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I could see Warren going to a playoff team, playing as their 6th man and turning into a Lou Williams type invaluable role.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm
I could see Warren going to a playoff team, playing as their 6th man and turning into a Lou Williams type invaluable role.
I think it would really help him to go to a team where he clearly isn't a starter and he knows it. He could easily be the #2 or #3 scorer on the team keep them afloat the nights when their main guy(s) are having an off night. You really need those guys in the playoffs (Portland/Toronto).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lou is ten times the playmaker TJ is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Warren isn’t going to do anything if he’s not on the floor. I think he’s mentally fragile and I’m ready to move on.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm
The Las Vegas Odds.
10/10--I've been thinking about this burn since I read it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm
The Las Vegas Odds.
10/10--I've been thinking about this burn since I read it.
Glad to make you smile and/or cringe. 8-)
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

House Suns makes an appearance in Game of Zones!

"Be Legendary."