Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns name James Jones as GM, new hierarchy

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Yeah I don't think Favors is a very valuable NBA player in 2019-20. Certainly not on a team that is trying to groom Ayton.
Let's just say, he wouldn't be doing us any... favors. <whips off sunglasses>

Yeah, we need a real PF like Randle. A bull in a china shop traditional PF with size and skill.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Yeah, we need a real PF like Randle. A bull in a china shop traditional PF with size and skill.
I think that is one way they can go, but I don't think that is the directions they need to go.

Besides, getting rid of Ryan Anderson essentially took the Suns out of the running for pursuing Randle.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm
I think that is one way they can go, but I don't think that is the directions they need to go.

Besides, getting rid of Ryan Anderson essentially took the Suns out of the running for pursuing Randle.
Enlighten me. What direction do they need to go?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They just need to get someone who is better. ;)

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Seriously, though, they can get a bruiser like Randle or they could get a small ball 4 that has power forward traits/abilities, like Houston has with PJ Tucker. Either direction would be a vast improvement.

Or they could get a combo of the two. Like Larry Nance Jr. He has traditional power forward size though not a bruiser, but he can hit the 3 ball and rebound.
That all makes sense to me. Let's see if Jones/Bower/Bukstein can come through.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like the idea of a fully realized Dragan Bender next to Ayton. We may not get that for a few years (or ever), though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think the 2 ideal skills Ayton's frontcourt partner will possess are interior help defense and floor spacing. I don't know that Randle is great at either.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

He isn't. But he is, bottom line, a very good player at a position of need. His passing would help too.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm
He isn't. But he is, bottom line, a very good player at a position of need. His passing would help too.
I wouldn't be opposed. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's not perfect, but he would be a huge upgrade from this year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am
I am not sure you can find the right kind of PF to play alongsise Ayton. Brook Lopez, on the other hand, would be a terrific partner for our guy.

Have Lopez play C on defense with Ayton guarding stretch PFs and swithching. Also watch him block out people for rebounds. On offense the Splash Mountain provides space (and some surprising drives to the basket) while Ayton does his thing.
JJJ would be perfect...Jonathan Isaac would be very nice. Myles Turner would be good.

Cap

Post by Cap »

14% chance it’s gonna be Zion.

Just about any opponent will give at least one of Zion-Ayton a big mismatch, and the other has the skills and mobility to play off him. Nasty.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:

JJJ would be perfect...Jonathan Isaac would be very nice. Myles Turner would be good.
I haven't watched a lot of Isaac until lately. He is turning into the player I really hoped we drafted when we took Josh instead. Damn.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm still not impressed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am
I'm still not impressed.
If the comparison is Josh or Isaac, I am impressed. But that is a historically low bar to set...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Of course, but they are not attainable, in my opinion. Isaac is maybe a little too much of a SF, though. ORL has Bamba too, but he was a baby this season (Mitchell was a grown ass man btw). If lotto is shit I might gamble with Bol Bol and see if/when he comes back he can impact the game.

Scarcity of the right fit at PF is what has me thinking about making Ayton a PF (on defense) and bringing in some rock who can shoot and rebound to complement him. Lopez, Theis...

Guys like Aminu, Marvin, etc. can play team defense and make a three, but are too weak to rebound consistently, which is also a problem. Of course, if nothing better is available, you still have a complete roster.

Randle is talented but I don't think he helps with any of our glaring needs. Again, much better than nothing.

Jamaychal Green might be a nice option. Ed Davis at backup center would improve things a lot I just know it. Or give me Dedmon already dammit.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dewayne Dedmon is probably the best free agent big man fit next to Ayton.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:

Yeah, we had him and most here wanted him gone.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:

Yeah, we had him and most here wanted him gone.
Still happy he’s gone